Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plantar Fascitis

Ugggh. I've made up my mind that I'm going to get 'sleeved'. I'm at the very beginning though. Attended the intro class and turned in a lot of paperwork and now I'm just waiting to hear back. I figure it'll happen in January, or so. Well, I don't want to just sit here getting fatter! I' really discouraged though. A 20 minute walk leaves me in pain and barely able to walk the next day. It's very painful and I feel defeated.

Did anyone else out there have plantar fasciitis that went away as you lost weight, post op? Any tips to help in the meantime?

Thanks. :)

I know a lot of overweight people get that and overpronation of the feet, but I have sciatica and exercise HURTs! I've been swimming (lazily) today and although it hurts at the time my back and leg feel much better now :) I would try some arm weights (so you're building some muscle to help burn cals) and try some natural therapies to improve your whole-body health :) I know the last sounds hippy-ish but reflexology has helped my sciatica tremendously! GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

I have severe PF. No amount of stretching or orthotics helps. I have bought Fit Flops and SAS shoes that help me walk, but the pain is so severe, especially in the morning, that my husband has to help me to the bathroom. I refuse to take NSAIDs as they upset mystill unsleeved stomache. my BFF gave me this essential oil to massage my feet with, helps a little. i went to a podiatrist weekly for shots in my foot, but stopped going when I got tired of the 35$ a week co pay. This and my hypertension brought me to the realization that I need a sleeve. I feel your pain

bmi.png

I HAD horrible PF for years!!! I am happy to report that, 10 months after surgery, mine has pretty much disappeared! I started walking hills (daily) about a month before surgery even though the pain was unbearable at times. As I've lost weight, the pain has gradually disappeared and I'm now doing triathlons!! The sleeve was THE BEST thing I've ever done!!!

The one thing I would say is so important with PF is to ice it as much as possible. Get some Dixie cups, fill them with Water and freeze them. Then tear half the cup off and use it to do ice massage on your foot.

I began to develop PF when I became a surgery nurse after all the amt of time on my feet. I have had a pair of z-coil shoes for 2 years. I started wearing them to work every day and all my symptoms went away. In 2 yrs I've only had to replace my coils once (about a month ago).

Wow, I know how terribly painly PF is, I have it in both feet. Actually had surgery on my left foot in 2009 and it's fine now but my right foot is not. It is a very painful and unbearable most of the time. Have you seen a podiatrist? If not, I would suggest doing so. My podiatrist provided me with special velcro type braces that fit over my ankle and heel which I sleep in and it really helps to take the pressue off and make it through the day. Hopefully after surgery and getting my weight down I'm hoping that some of the pain will go away and I won't have to have surgery on the right foot.

Best of luck to you.

I had it for about a year due to wearing those Ugg Boots. I wore them for a month like every other day, and suddenly this sharp pain developed in my heels, I could barely walk. I threw the boots out, never again!!! and was stretching and iceing for long months. Stretching really helped. Although I did not lose a single pound, actually I have gained (I'm not sleeved yet), the pain went away.

My dad had plantar fascitis also, and he is not even overweight. His pain was so severe that he opted for steroid shot. I am not going to lie, he said it was the most painful thing he ever experienced but his pain is gone. He also started to wear shoes with gel in the heel, and he swears it's the best and refuses to wear anything else. His pain is copletely gone.

Try stretching, iceing, and consider a steroid shot in your heel. It will help you ride through the time til your surgery.

I used to get it, get rid of it and then re-injure and get it again. Daily yoga got rid of it for me even with the extra weight. That's a tough one because you really have to just fight through the pain and stretch or it never improves.

Ugggh. I've made up my mind that I'm going to get 'sleeved'. I'm at the very beginning though. Attended the intro class and turned in a lot of paperwork and now I'm just waiting to hear back. I figure it'll happen in January' date=' or so. Well, I don't want to just sit here getting fatter! I' really discouraged though. A 20 minute walk leaves me in pain and barely able to walk the next day. It's very painful and I feel defeated.

Did anyone else out there have plantar fasciitis that went away as you lost weight, post op? Any tips to help in the meantime?

Thanks. :)[/quote']

I'm sorry you have it! :(

It was one of the last straws for me. I went to Vegas in April of this year for a yearly conference, and I could NOT walk. It was the worst thing I'd experienced, but I KNEW for certain it was time for me to get sleeved! I took physical therapy twice a week, did every exercise faithfully, and nothing helped.

One week after my surgery in Mexico - I flew home and weighed myself I was 20 lbs lighter, and my feet have not bothered me once since then!

I wish you all the success in the world!!!

I used to have plantar fascitis but my sister (she's a doctor) taught me an exercise that made it go away in about two weeks. She says most of her patients get excellent results with it. I'll outline the steps assuming you have p.f. in your left foot, just as a sample.

1. Cross your left leg so that your left foot/ankle is resting on top of your right knee/thigh.

2. Point the toes of your left foot back towards your left shin and hold for ten seconds.

3. Repeat for a total of ten stretches.

You should do this for each foot that you have p.f. in first thing in the morning, a couple times during the day (especially right after you have been sitting a long time) and right before you go to sleep. You can also modify this exercise and do it lying down, it works just as well. I used to do it every day before even getting out of bed and it worked great. Good luck!

I am a Certified Pedorist and have had many patients with Plantar Fascitis. The suggestions for execise are excellent. Wearing good shoes is very important. Athletic shoes should be changed about every 600-800 miles. Buy the best shoes you can afford. The rocker bottom shoe sold by MBT, Skechers and other companies are probably the most effective for plantar fascitis. I know there is controversy over the claims for the toning and fitness, but the shoe design is very effective in stretching the muscles in the calf. I myself have used rocker bottom shoes for years without a reoccurance to PF.

When not wearing the rocker bottom shoe, wearing a good quality orthotic is very helpful. It doesn't need to be an expensive custom made one, but a good supportive one that you can often find at sporting good stores. 85% of people do not need the custom orthotic and do just fine with OTC ones.

THANK YOU, Everyone! I'm so glad there's hope. In the meantime, I'll just keep icing and stretching. I was taking ibuprofen and it really helped the inflammation, but really bothered my stomach. It's just so irritating to feel like you want to lose weight, but your body is working against you!

I am a Certified Pedorist and have had many patients with Plantar Fascitis. The suggestions for execise are excellent. Wearing good shoes is very important. Athletic shoes should be changed about every 600-800 miles. Buy the best shoes you can afford. The rocker bottom shoe sold by MBT' date=' Skechers and other companies are probably the most effective for plantar fascitis. I know there is controversy over the claims for the toning and fitness, but the shoe design is very effective in stretching the muscles in the calf. I myself have used rocker bottom shoes for years without a reoccurance to PF.

When not wearing the rocker bottom shoe, wearing a good quality orthotic is very helpful. It doesn't need to be an expensive custom made one, but a good supportive one that you can often find at sporting good stores. 85% of people do not need the custom orthotic and do just fine with OTC ones.[/quote']

Thank you for the info. My podiatrist, who kept me coming back week after week told me no rocker soles. I had just bought a pair of sketchers too. So I dusted off the box and wore them to the gym yesterday and today. thanks!

bmi.png

I had severe pain with PF in both feet when I gained weight with pregnancy. For me, the shots, physical therapy, icing, orthotics didnt completely resolve the pain even after I lost the weight. I had a bone spur caused by the repeated stretching. PF Surgery was the best option for me on my left foot. recuperation was several weeks. My right foot resolved with treatment.

I also forgot to mention that I swear by Fit Flops!!! They were recommended to me by the Dr that made my orthotics and I never had pain when I wore them!! I started out with the clog style and then purchased the flip flop style once I lost about 70 lbs. I still wear them even though my PF seams to be gone....they are so comfortable!!!