Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I all! I am pre sleeve with a surgery date of Oct 2. Before surgery I wanna be able to do some grocery shopping for must have items while I'm healing. I don't want to be in a grocery store for hours a time looking for things so if u could please list for me some must haves that would be great! So far I have purchase Unjury unflavored as well as chicken Soup Protein Powder. I have a nice big jar of vanilla whey isolate body by fortress Protein powder. I am thinking cottage cheese, cheese strings, babybell, Beans, ricotta cheese, lean meats. Please add to my list!

I went to my local Vitamin Shoppe and bought one of every low-carb Protein powder that they had sample-sizes for. Tastes change after surgery, and I want to be very specific when sending my husband out for supplies.

You might want to hold off on the cheeses and meats, from what I understand you won't be able to eat them for a bit. It would be awful to go in to have your first bite of mushies and have it be icky.

I was on full liquids for the first two weeks. In my program, that included cream Soups, cottage cheese, and yogurt.

I would just get a little of each thing you buy. I didn't use the popsicles, Jello, and pudding I bought pre-op. I didn't like the way the popsicles and Jello tasted and I couldn't tolerate milk products post-op. I mostly had Protein drinks and greek yogurt the first couple of weeks. I also had Anderson's Split Pea Soup. Other brands and types of cream Soups didn't sit as well. Also some tea that you like and Decaf coffee.

I recommend buying some flushable wipes, small spoon and fork, small dish, and liquid measuring cup if you don't have them.

Lynda

I'm 10 days out and am on Clear Liquids. I drink better than boullion, crystal light, SF hawaiin punch, and eat the SF popsicles like crazy (about 3 a day). I add unflavored Unjury to all drinks and Soup. I tried SF Jello with Protein but didn't like it. The jello was foamy on top from the protein and it turned my stomach. I'll try again with another flavor in a few days,

Thanks everyone! I usually freeze my meat (yes I know it's not tw healthiest) and don't plan on eating those until I'm cleared. My NUT has given me a step by step diet plan

Power aid zero. Crystal light. sugar free Popsicles. And I totally agree on the Protein. I was sent home and instructed to drink 4 oz of liquids an hour. I would take four 1 oz medicine cups. Fill one with power aid one with protein and 2 with Water and watch the clock. I sat them on a tv tray beside the couch. It was nearly impossible but that was the only was I could keep hydrated and I still have never managed to get all of my protein in one day. I would not buy too many perishables. I wasted a lot and 4 weeks out I eat only 2 oz of food twice a day. Gas x strip saved me! And the heating pad was my best friend and still is sometimes. (you have to get one!) For me, i had a lot of pain after I left the hospital. It was a lot worse than I thought it wild be. Not trying to scare you. I wish I would have known. Just have your stuff ready. I thought i was and I wasn't!!!

Thanks for the honest! I purchased a heat pack and gas x strip. Been using them

Already because pre op is causing gas. I like ur idea about the medicine cups :)

Power aid zero. Crystal light. sugar free Popsicles. And I totally agree on the Protein. I was sent home and instructed to drink 4 oz of liquids an hour. I would take four 1 oz medicine cups. Fill one with power aid one with protein and 2 with Water and watch the clock. I sat them on a tv tray beside the couch. It was nearly impossible but that was the only was I could keep hydrated and I still have never managed to get all of my protein in one day. I would not buy too many perishables. I wasted a lot and 4 weeks out I eat only 2 oz of food twice a day. Gas x strip saved me! And the heating pad was my best friend and still is sometimes. (you have to get one!) For me, i had a lot of pain after I left the hospital. It was a lot worse than I thought it wild be. Not trying to scare you. I wish I would have known. Just have your stuff ready. I thought i was and I wasn't!!!

Protein shots! They sell them at wal mart, GNC. 42g protein in only 3.8oz. I mix them with flavored water to get protein in, but you can drink it straight if you want, though they taste really thick and concentrated.

Protein shots! They sell them at wal mart, GNC. 42g Protein in only 3.8oz. I mix them with flavored Water to get protein in, but you can drink it straight if you want, though they taste really thick and concentrated.

I'm preping for my surgery in a week and asked my NUT about these shots (hey it's 42g in only 3.8 oz !). I was told to read the label very closely. Most all of these "shots" (at least the dozen or so I've looked at) are primarily made of collagen protein and our bodies cannot absorb collagen protein. In other words, these shots are pretty much worthless. Very disappointing indeed... :(

I'm not sleeved, yet, but i know i'll be picking up some different kinds of teas.. like hibiscus (it lowers your blood pressure), green tea, blackberry sage, etc.. crystal light pure, etc.. :)

another thing I will be picking up is a bottle of Bragg's liquid Aminos... When your body digests Protein, it breaks it down into amino acids.. So Bragg's liquid Aminos sorta just cuts straight to the point & gives you 16 amino acids, right there, ready to be absorbed by your body that much faster & easier, without having to break down Protein to get it. it has all 10 "essential aminos" and gives you 16 out of the 20 standard amino acids.. it also doesn't contain any dairy products, so in case you develop lactose intolerance, you can still use the aminos.

from wikipedia:

"In the form of Proteins, amino acids comprise the second largest component other than Water of human muscles, cells and other tissues. Outside Proteins, amino acids also perform critical biological roles including neurotransmitters, transport, and in synthesis."

"9 of the 20 standard amino acids are called 'essential' amino acids for humans because they cannot be created from other compounds by the human body, and so must be taken in as food."

one cool thing about these liquid aminos is that a serving size is only 1/2 a tsp.. :) and you can blend them into your other food, eat them with your chicken/beef broth, use 'em on salads or whatever. http://bragg.com/products/la.html << their website.

i would also purchase some easily digested/blended veggies that are frozen.. like peas, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.. y'know.. do some shopping ahead of time & buy a bag of frozen peas & some frozen broccoli & frozen carrots.. then go ahead & make myself some purees and leave some plain & add some seasonings to some of them, just in case you don't like or can't handle the seasoning for some reason after surgery.. then just pour the purees into ice cube trays and freeze them.. put them in a ziploc bag & label them accordingly.. so whenever you need to eat, you have something ready to go. you could probably add your protein (in the form of your powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury or chicken soup) as well as meats and whatnot for your different stages..

here's a few websites that have some good looking baby food recipes that could make for yourself.. including stuff with meat & cheese (like one that sounded pretty good to me was chicken & butternut squash)..

http://www.homemade-...od-recipes.html

http://wholesomebaby....momtastic.com/

http://www.nurturebaby.com/

here's chef gordon ramsay's broccoli Soup recipe, which i will be making for myself.. you could easily add your protein and the aminos to this: http://gordonramsays...-broccoli-soup/

you can also make yourself some healthier popsicles, paletas and cream pops and stuff like that, rather than buy store bought ones..

get yourself some stevia, swerve sweetener, TheraSweet (xylitol), agave nectar.. to use as a sweetener (the ones i listed are all natural, safe & don't have bad side effects like aspartame, sucralose, splenda & etc & they won't raise your blood glucose/blood sugar levels).. and get yourself some natural (or regular) flavor extracts & make yourself some popsicles... like lemon, orange, cherry, raspberry, chocolate, pina colada, coconut cream, rootbeer, etc.. whatever sounds good.. if you make 'em yourself, you could also sneak in some of your unflavored Unjury protein, so you'll be eating protein in everything!

when you can drink milk, if you develop lactose intolerance you can pick up some almond/cashew/hemp/soy/whatever milk & mix up some unjury, almond milk & flavor of your choice & have a creamsicle..

whenever you get to soft foods, you could try a recipe like this, except you blend the melon, instead of shred it.. could do that with watermelon or whatever.. or just leave the actual melon out all together & use the flavoring. :)

http://www.busogsara...-ice-candy.html

here's some places that sell natural flavorings:

http://www.naturesfl...coffee-tea.html

http://www.spicesetc...ural-Flavorings

here's a recipe for an avocado paleta.. obviously you'd use a sugar alternative & you could mix in your unjury protein with the Water & this is also dairy free, just in case:

http://www.seriousea...ert-recipe.html

here's some healthy, sugar free avocado chocolate pudding:

http://penniesonapla...colate-pudding/

you can also freeze that mix & have a "fudge" popsicle.

anyway.. that's what kinda stuff i will be doing. in my opinion, you may as well do all that you can while you feel good.. the more you can do ahead of time, the easier you'll have it during your recovery! even the simple stuff, like your broth.. so all you'll need to do when you get home is pick out what flavor you want, stick a cube of it in a coffee cup & microwave it.. it'll have your unjury protein, some bragg's liquid aminos and be ready for consumption. then all you'd have to do is throw your dirty cups in the dish washer, relax & fart around on the internet or watch tv. lol :)

Nyxa! I sure wish I was your neighbor! All that stuff you mentioned cooking just exhausts me just reading it! What an awesome amount of information. I wish I could sneak into your freezer!! :-)

Hmmmm these shots I bought say "complete Protein matrix" containing all essential amino acids. im at the office for my two week follow up so I'll ask while I'm here.