Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Long Off Work For An Office Job?

Sannah, everything went great! I'm feeling well and am excited for my future. Can't wait to get Cleared for full activity and really make some changes to this bod of mine!

I too have a desk job and I planned on taking 1 week and ended up needing 2. I was not in pain the 2nd week, but I was excruciatingly weak. I don't mean tired either. I mean weak. To pull the covers over my body was an effort. I lost a lot of blood in the surgery. That combined with not getting all my liquids in I was suffering with extremely low blood pressure 56/40. I went back the 3rd week full time and I should have worked half days. I was wiped out by the time I got home every day and I didn't get much done.

My advice would be to tell your boss 2 weeks so they expect you to be gone and if your doctor releases you before that you can go back. It's always easier to ask for the time up front rather than after the fact when everyone is expecting you back at work.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

My STD benefits don't kick in for 10 days and I only get 60% of my pay' date=' so I really don't want to take off more time than I need to, since I'm a single gal and it's my only income.[/quote']

Me too, except I'm a "head of household". I'm having surgery on Thursday and, barring any major complications, working from home Monday morning. That said, if I couldn't work from home and have my hubby home to force Water down my gullet I'd take the two weeks off.

Im in this boat now 12 days post op and struggling to return back to work. I really feel well some days & other days i wake really sore. Today i woke up great but by the time evening came i needed a pain pill. I too get very tired, but im not getting a the Protein in. Im really working on that & Vitamins to get my energy back. Im planning on going in thursday whether im 100% or not. My surgeon said that most people are @ 2 weeks some at 3 and others at 4.

I work an office job, but am planning for 3 weeks at a minimum. My STD kicks in after 5 days with full pay, so I admit I can afford the luxury of the time off.

I have to commute to NYC by taking three buses each way. I have to be at work by 7AM and leave at 5PM. I need to make sure that I am as fit as I can be and ok energy-wise before I even attempt to get back in the grind.

Careless01 posted about going back to work after surgery but has a way more labor intensive job than I do. I work 8h a day/40h a week M-F - typical boring office job where I sit at my computer all day long. I very rarely have to get up ever. (sidenote: this probably one of the many reasons I'm fat!) I was planning on taking a week. Two AT THE MOST and only under the most trying circumstances. My STD benefits don't kick in for 10 days and I only get 60% of my pay' date=' so I really don't want to take off more time than I need to, since I'm a single gal and it's my only income.

My question is, do you think I can reasonably go back to work in a week after VSG? I had laparoscopic gall bladder surgery a few years ago and was back to work 6 days after surgery because I had the same "sit-at-my-desk" kind of job and the same financial situation. I did just fine with that. I know VSG is a much more significant procedure, but if my work agrees to let me eat when I need to and any other accommodation, do you think I'd be able to be back at work a week later?[/quote']

Yes you can. I was sleeved on a Monday and back to work the following Monday. I was a bit tired in the afternoon, but i was still on liquids. It is definately doable if you job isnt very physically demanding.

Careless01 posted about going back to work after surgery but has a way more labor intensive job than I do. I work 8h a day/40h a week M-F - typical boring office job where I sit at my computer all day long. I very rarely have to get up ever. (sidenote: this probably one of the many reasons I'm fat!) I was planning on taking a week. Two AT THE MOST and only under the most trying circumstances. My STD benefits don't kick in for 10 days and I only get 60% of my pay' date=' so I really don't want to take off more time than I need to, since I'm a single gal and it's my only income.

My question is, do you think I can reasonably go back to work in a week after VSG? I had laparoscopic gall bladder surgery a few years ago and was back to work 6 days after surgery because I had the same "sit-at-my-desk" kind of job and the same financial situation. I did just fine with that. I know VSG is a much more significant procedure, but if my work agrees to let me eat when I need to and any other accommodation, do you think I'd be able to be back at work a week later?[/quote']

Yes you can. I was sleeved on a Monday and back to work the following Monday. I was a bit tired in the afternoon, but i was still on liquids. It is definately doable if you job isnt very physically demanding.

I am taking 3 weeks. So on the 17th I go back to work. I needed the time to introduce food back into my system.

Everyone is so different! I considered myself to be tough and i was very active pre-op. I planned on taking ONE week. I am a manager and had approval to take all i needed paid. But I said... nah! I'll be fine! HA.... i didnt get my drain out til 9 days post-op and it was painful (really only pain i had). But i had NO energy and I've been having the memory/cloudy head problems BAD. There was no way I could have went back full time the second week. I stopped in every day but sometimes even had trouble with people's names. I went back yesterday and I'm feeling pretty good. The doc said my cloudy head will slowly get better.

I'm planning on only taking a week also for my desk job. I'm still waiting for approval from my insurance buts as of right now I'm not going to tell my work in advance, just take a week's vacation and will tell people when I return.

I am also curious about this. I work full time for a Big Box store and will be standing for 8 hours a day. I am thinking 2 weeks and then partial days.

My doc said he would give me 2 weeks. I have an office job as well. I get up and roam, but it is not phyically demanding. He said most of his patients want to go back to work before that.

Sannah' date=' everything went great! I'm feeling well and am excited for my future. Can't wait to get Cleared for full activity and really make some changes to this bod of mine![/quote']

So great to hear!! When do you think you'll be released for full activity?

Congrats in your sleeve!!!

Cheers from a fellow Portlander!!

Sannah

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Did anyone have to be on a liquid diet to shrink your liver before hand and need to take time off work because you didn't have energy? I have a job that is normally super exhausting where I work 12-16 hours per day. I am worried I won't be able to handle working during that time.

Dont forget that it's not only about returning to work and being able to work. Most doctor's tell us 4 weeks or 6 weeks to let us have the time

To adapt to our new lifestyle change. I'm taking 6 weeks. Don't think if I went back to work in a week that I would be able to focus on myself and getting in all my fluids and Protein etc with all the other stress surrounding me