Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Did You Feel The Day Of Surgery?

I'm wondering how people felt the day you had your surgery, like right after you woke up. I've been put under, as an adult, twice and both times I was ready to get up and leave, or move. I hate being stuck in a hospital bed. Some of my bypass friends insist I'll be wiped out and not want to stay awake or move etc. I heard about the gas pains, but did anyone not experience that?

I was in for 2 nights. I probably could have got out after one but I had a raised temperature and they were sure I was getting a chest infection - which I wasn't, but better to be safe then sorry.

After the op I had a cycle of sleeping for 2-4 hours then walking then more pain meds then back to sleep. I think I needed the first night in there and I was glad to have the medical staff around. It's a major op and you need plenty of rest. Good luck.

Everyone is different. I was miserable with nausea and vomiting for the first 2 days. Not to mention I had chest discomfort from all the gas they use to inflate your abdomen. My surgeon told me I was on the extreme end of having nausea and vomiting. As for the gas, the more you can move, the better. It will go away quicker. The problem for me was the more I moved the more I felt like vomiting :( . I had hardly any pain though, that was a plus. Im 3 weeks post op tomorrow. Good luck to you....when is your surgery?

I felt fine the first day....the second, third and fourth sucked though.....

1. The day of surgery is a big blur and i slept (with my heating pad on ) but the day AFTER surgery was the tough one for me, i had some gas pains,sore inside and out but not enough i couldn't stand it. It wasn't that bad. I walked often and sat up in a reclining chair often. The more i was up the better i felt. I bounced back very quickly. I went shopping the eve. of the second day and was okay for a quick trip to a gift shop for souveniers.(spelled wrong)...It was the 11th day post op before i felt 100% like myself. I went to work 1 week after surgery and felt weak and tired easily...

My surgeon does the procedure as outpatient. I was walking as soon as they rolled me in the room after upper gi. I was slow to wake up from anesthesia but other than that didn't have any troubles.

The first day was fine. I was up and walking as soon as I could. The next day I had alot of gas pressure on my chest and lower back. I put a heating pad on each area for about 30 minutes and it made a huge difference. I got nauseous the first two nights around 10 pm for some reason. They put nausea meds in my iv and it went away. My first shower on day 2 wore me out because I was too stubborn to use the stool they provided. I used it day 3! I think my biggest problem was I'd start feeling so much better and overdo it, I didn't rest as much as I should have the first two days. Day 3 I rested all day except to walk every hour or so. By that night my nurse put me in "time out" because she thought I was bouncing around too much.

I didn't want even to open my eyes after they wake me up. the chest pain was so bad that I didn't want to breath and nurse always ask me to breath. that chest pain become better after I start walking for 30-40 min every 3 hours in the hospital. I still have it but it's minor. and I am day 4post op. I didn't want to stand up and leave.

I honestly don't remember the first night. I was in pain & nauseous. I did walk a few times, with the help oh my hubby.

Robyn

I felt fine the first day I was all juiced up on pain meds. My husband says I was walking around saying this is so easy I don't know what the big deal is! Lol thinking I was all hot ****! Then the pain meds wore off and I was not walking around thinking I was hot **** anymore that's for sure. We still laugh about it to this day

I had bad gas pain when i woke up. I even wondered what the hell i did to myself but in an hour or so it got better. I just took my pain med every 4 hours. It also helped me sleep. Get up and walk as soon as you can it helps alot. I felt almost back to normal by day 10. It is all worth it. I am down a total of 30 lbs and lovin my sleeve.

First words when i woke up from surgery was FML. so much pain,nasua,gas pains and soreness. It got better each day though.

Thank you for all the replies! Looks like I'll have to deal with those gas pains anyways! Marsha, I'm waiting for my insurance to approve me and if they don't require additional tests, then I get a date. I tend to over prepare for everything, so I'm combing this site for every bit of information I can!

I wish my doctor did it outpatient, I only have to stay for 23 hours but I'm very uncomfortable in hospitals and would much rather be at home ASAP

I'm actually in the hospital as I write this, I had my

Operation yesterday. I decided to come on here because I was concerned of the chest pains I was having and was curious to see if anyone else experienced the same. Reading this makes me feel a lot better, I guess I'm on my way!!

Let us know how it turns out. I am 4 days post op and feeling not myself at all. The day of the surgery didn't seem that bad, but days 2 and 3 were awful. This is beginning of day 4 and I got about 6 hours of sleep last night, waking up 2 times to use the restroom. I am taking my pain pills religiously as if I don't, I feel it. My entire body is aching and without the pain pills, I would most likely be reduced to tears.

Everyone heals differently, but make sure you are prepared for some uncomfortable ness.

Good luck!