Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fighting Head Hunger...

What do you do when you get the urge to snack? I'm terrible about eating when I'm not hungry. What are your tips and tricks? I'm pre-surgery and I need to get this under control before december.

I eat Protein or veggies when I'm feeling a little peckish. If you're going to have a "snack", make sure its a healthy one. Fortunately, my ability to eat is still relatively limited (only about 2 ounces at a time), so I'm eating 3 meals and 3 Snacks every day, just to get enough calories and protein. So off-schedule "snacking" isn't much of an issue.

It was also helpful to recognize the "head hunger" for what it was. If your not physically hungry, try to work through the psychological "hunger" without giving in to it. :)

Lollyfide: I haven't been sleeved yet... Do you ever feel hungry though? I am so scared I'll get sleeved and still struggle with head hunger and not lose weight

Lollyfide: I haven't been sleeved yet... Do you ever feel hungry though? I am so scared I'll get sleeved and still struggle with head hunger and not lose weight

I did experience "head hunger" the first couple of weeks after surgery. Thankfully, that is now a thing of the past.

As far as "real" hunger is concerned, I've not felt a twinge of hunger since my surgery. Its the most amazing thing....I often forget to eat, and have to set reminders on my iPhone (seriously!). LOL I'm no longer a slave to food...and its fantastic!! :)

That's amazing! Ive had my Lapband since 2007- so scared of failing again! My friend has the sleeve and said it cured her food addiction!

My tip would be to put the nothing to drink 30 minutes before you want to eat and 30 minutes after you finish into play. For me this changed my desire for many of my head hunger foods. I have to agree that after surgery it is completely different. When head hunger hits, you want to eat something but have no physical desire to actually eat it. The salivating, driving, obsessive thought of the foods you use to want is no longer there. You will drive by a place you use to frequent, or get into a situation in which you use to consume a certain food and not struggle/desire it the same way physically.You will quickly learn you can not eat the way you use to quickly and in large bites you washed down with a drink. It is more like you are mad that you do not want it anymore, even though you are glad, it was such a habit- it is almost frustrating. I do not think it is explainable, you will just have to experience it. It is not what I use to be like, pre surgery there was no end to hunger and the desire to eat just kept increasing, never felt satisfied for long and now I feel satisfied all the time and on just a small half cup amount, sometimes even less. You can not eat the quantity you use to and if you eat the dense Protein first, you are full and if you did not drink 30 minutes before or after you stay full for a long time.

Hope this kind of helps and makes sense

My tip would be to put the nothing to drink 30 minutes before you want to eat and 30 minutes after you finish into play. For me this changed my desire for many of my head hunger foods. I have to agree that after surgery it is completely different. When head hunger hits' date=' you want to eat something but have no physical desire to actually eat it. The salivating, driving, obsessive thought of the foods you use to want is no longer there. You will drive by a place you use to frequent, or get into a situation in which you use to consume a certain food and not struggle/desire it the same way physically.You will quickly learn you can not eat the way you use to quickly and in large bites you washed down with a drink. It is more like you are mad that you do not want it anymore, even though you are glad, it was such a habit- it is almost frustrating. I do not think it is explainable, you will just have to experience it. It is not what I use to be like, pre surgery there was no end to hunger and the desire to eat just kept increasing, never felt satisfied for long and now I feel satisfied all the time and on just a small half cup amount, sometimes even less. You can not eat the quantity you use to and if you eat the dense Protein first, you are full and if you did not drink 30 minutes before or after you stay full for a long time.

Hope this kind of helps and makes sense[/quote']

Thanks for writing this! Do you mind me asking what size bougie you had done?

Once off the special diets, it is easy to start grazing again. I did that for a little while, thinking that grazing on healthy foods was all right. I got back on the program by asking myself each time, "Am I really hungry?" Of course, I never am hungry so checking on myself stopped the self-defeating behavior.

I have certain times when I eat and when I drink becuase I too battle with head hunger. I plan my meals so it helps me to reason with myself and distinguish between the need to eat and me wanting to eat. Hope that helps you.... Good luck

Thanks for writing this! Do you mind me asking what size bougie you had done?

They did not tell me and I did not ask. I knew pre-op the amount I could eat (2 large chicken breasts or a 16oz Prime rib) and the size of a carbonated drink I could consume quickly, made me sure no matter what the size of the bougie I would be so restricted I would be successful. When I saw the photos on here of how small they all were. (do a search for picture) I was not worried. 2nd Post Op is in a few weeks and if I remember I will ask.

When I get head hunger, and just can't escape it's nagging, I eat meat, chicken or pork first to fill me up and retrain my brain to associate meat with head hunger. After eating Protein, and I still have that nagging little voice, I will allow myself a small portion (remember I'm physically full from the protein), about 1/2 a coffee cup (a real coffee cup, not a Starbucks Grande!) of whatever I'm craving. I'm normally satisfied after that.