Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Difficulty Taking Tablets Post-Op

I had my six week appointment last week, which was when I was officially cleared to take tablets. I had been planning on starting the skin/hair/nails Vitamins for the Biotin and they're not all that big, smaller than most Multivitamins. Yesterday I tried breaking it in half, but it was hard to swallow because of the hard edges, and so today I tried the full pill, since I am finally allowed to. Boy, was it uncomfortable. It was hard to get myself to swallow it, which was weird because I've never had trouble swallowing pills and then it felt like it kept getting stuck in the middle of my esophagus as it was going down. Right now it feels like it's stuck somewhere around my sternum. I imagine I could maybe break these up smaller since they're fairly soft pills, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or if anyone has any suggestions that helped them.

Thanks!

I'm a terrible pill taker. I have cut out all pills that aren't medically necessary and use gummies whenever that is an option.

This is another example of different surgeons giving different information. Mine instructs to not attempt any pills/tablets/capsules for at least a year. Personally, it'll probably be a lot longer than that before I try something that isn't chewable, sublingual, or liquid.

I hope you find a solution!

So just a quick question, if you can't take pills for a while, how do you take your required prescriptions that are pills?? I have about 5 that I take now! Most are small, but still.... Just curious!

I started taking my meds the day after surgery. I also developed pneumonia and gout so I have been on meds for that, as well. No problems so far and I am 16 days out. Pneumonia gone and gout just about completely gone. After reading posts on here I am guessing I got the sleeve of steel version. Nothing has made me sick or nauseous. But I do love the gummy vitamins ; )

So just a quick question, if you can't take pills for a while, how do you take your required prescriptions that are pills? ? I have about 5 that I take now! Most are small, but still.... Just curious!

check with your pharmacist to see if any are available in chewable or liquid form. If they are capsules, can you open them and mix the content in something like unsweetened applesauce. (I do this with one of my meds...Actigall...it works well, and doesn't taste bad at all.) Everything I take is either chewable or liquid (except for the Actigall). When discussing meds with my dr, that is the first question I ask...is it available in liquid or chewable/solutab/sublingual form, or can it be dumped, or crushed, and mixed in applesauce). Your pharmacist will be able to tell you if something can be crushed, opened and mixed, etc.

It also really helps to take a small sip, then put the pill in your mouth and take another sip and swallow. Sometimes i'll need to take yet another sip. But it seems that my espogus does better w pills when 'lubricated' first.