Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was instructed to be on

Clear Liquids one day

Full liquids five days

Purée foods five weeks

I think you are progressing too fast. That cheese is not soft and does not chew easily. You should worry about stretching your stomach or getting a leak. I would slow down at this point. You have the rest of your life to eat solid foods. Stick with full liquids a little longer then progress to puree, no cheese balls.

Also if you are posting this question you must be worried. "REFRIED" Beans are quite gloopy or solid can go down in one big ball I wouldn't eat them right now.

I think you are progressing too fast. That cheese is not soft and does not chew easily. You should worry about stretching your stomach or getting a leak. I would slow down at this point. You have the rest of your life to eat solid foods. Stick with full liquids a little longer then progress to puree, no cheese balls.

The poster is following their doctor's guidelines. It isn't up to you to determine whether they are progressing too fast. The doctor likely has a lot more training and experience than you do. BTW, laughing cow cheese is quite soft! There is absolutely no chewing required with that cheese.

It bothers me that the poster was asking whether they were eating too much food and if shakes count towards liquids, but most everyone jumped on the fact that they think at seven days out they shouldn't be consuming certain things. People need to understand that every surgeon has different guidelines and just because you may have been required to do something different doesn't mean that someone else is doing it wrong. We should be here to support each other, not to tear each other down.

I agree. Some people can tolerate more than others. I am convinced I have a sleeve of steel. Nothing upsets it and I am on day 16 and have had mushy food and small bites of meat. All is good. I feel great and losing weight.

Agreed with Enigma. Telling someone they are wrong for following their doctor's guidelines is...interesting. I came home from the hospital on pureed foods. My surgeon feels strongly about progressing to real food quickly but safely so the diet is nutritionally sound. He doesn't understand or agree with weeks of liquids only pre or post op, but I certainly am not going to tell someone else who does follow that plan that they are doing something wrong - especially if its from their doctor.

Anyway! LOL to the original question, the only thing that stood out to me is the 12 oz of Protein shake at a time. How does your tummy feel after that? I can drink about 4 oz and it's rumble city. I'm a few less days than you though. You're doing great with your water/liquids!!

Thank you for most of your responses. I am new to VST and thought it was a place for support. It seems like most are in agreement that we should support each other. I believe it is ok to have a difference in opinion. But it is how that opinion is communicated that shows our support for one another. However, some people are simply miserable and want to tear people down to feel better about themselves. In response to the Protein Shakes, they take me about an hour and a half to sip down. I do feel plenty of fullness and gas but I was told by my NUT to get the Protein and Water in...so that is what I am doing. My hospital is a Center of Excellence. I was given specific instructions to follow about different phases the post op diet. I am following them. But I also do notice that there are plenty of programs that have longer liquid phases. I am very nervous and want to make sure I am doing things right. As for exercise, I have been walking 5 miles on the tread mill for the last 3 days. Also, I just finished playing hardball catch with my 12 year old son. I am very active and I believe that helps the gases a lot.

You are less than 2 weeks postop and you can do all this stuff? That's AWESOME!!!

Hopefully in the future the 'eat nuturionally right away vs. liquids' will have been decided. I think that time will only tell. There is something to be said about people recovering faster with better nutrition. But what about leaks if the stomach doesn't have tlme to heal? The future will be interesting!

Keep up the good work!! :-)

Thanks for this Topic JSoc lol I was about to make the same thread about eating too much and not feeling my sleeve. Glad Enigma cleared up the nerve damage and feeling coming back in a few weeks.

Not sure if that is for me but I did try only small amounts of new textures and foods at a time. If any discomfort or too many gut sounds I backed off for a day or so but i feel great and down 12 lbs this week and 30 total starting when I began preop diet. Today I put on a pair of shorts I couldn't come close to buttoning and I have wiggle room!!!! Yay!!! I go back to work in a week and can't wait for everyone to see my results. I manage a great team at work and they are all excited for me. Some are interested in getting surgery but scared. I think I will have an encouraging story.

I really do not know enough about how food affects healing. However, my surgeon told me that he staples, sews, and glues the sleeve. I don't know if that is common practice or not. All my exterior stitches were glued on top as well except for the open drain wound. I have read countless posts and it seems that the faster post op tracks are not only my hospital but many others as well.

Thanks Shubox.

Congratulations Chelle 68

There was a poster on here before that told main a another string "You ARE eating too much". When I looked at her profile, she had not been sleeved yet! I believe evryones tolerance will be a bit different. Everyones healing is probably different as well. If the weight loss varies as such wouldn't everything else.

JSoc: I saw that post too and was kinda taken aback by her comment. . And the poster hadn't been sleeved yet? I guess the poster wasn't talking from their own experience but heresay. Kinda sad. AND it's a warning for all of us to trust our Doc's and NOT what others are suggesting here on the list!!! We are all here to support each other & share our experiences, not to hand out advice.

I just read a post where two people with the same doc have different eating plans. I'm sure the doc has his reasons. We are not all the same.