Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Could It Be? Light Bulb Moment

I am about 7 weeks post op and I am finding that for the past couple of days or so that I am hungry or wanting to eat more later after dinner. Well, I have been on Dexilant for acid for about 4 weeks and about three weeks ago was the last time I took one of the pills. I've been trying to wean off of them because my insurance won't pay for them and they run me $93 for 30. Anyway, I have read that acid will mimic hunger pains and my dinner is usually my largest meal which probably produces the most acid. Well it just occurred to me that the feelings I am having are not hunger but are probably acid. As bad as acid is, it would be a relief that the feelings are acid and not me constantly wanting to eat. I will definitely continue to take the pills and see if this helps. Maybe I can take the pills every two days or so. What do you think? Could it be acid that I'm feeling?

You can try prilosec over the counter, it is a proton pump inhibitor, just like dexilant, but much more affordable. If its acid, then prilosec should do it. It can take up to 48 hours for complete relief. that's the only bad thing about PPIs.

I just eat a Tums whenever I get acid. I'm 4 weeks out and haven't had a Tums in 3 days. That being said -- everyone is different and what works for me might not work for others.

Have you tried other acid reducers? There are a number of them prescription and OTC. I was taking prevacid for a month post op and it worked great.

I am about 7 weeks post op and I am finding that for the past couple of days or so that I am hungry or wanting to eat more later after dinner. Well' date=' I have been on Dexilant for acid for about 4 weeks and about three weeks ago was the last time I took one of the pills. I've been trying to wean off of them because my insurance won't pay for them and they run me 93 for 30. Anyway, I have read that acid will mimic hunger pains and my dinner is usually my largest meal which probably produces the most acid. Well it just occurred to me that the feelings I am having are not hunger but are probably acid. As bad as acid is, it would be a relief that the feelings are acid and not me constantly wanting to eat. I will definitely continue to take the pills and see if this helps. Maybe I can take the pills every two days or so. What do you think? Could it be acid that I'm feeling?[/quote']

I would shop around for different prices of the medication. Not all pharmacy's have the same price. I have found that costco is less expensive than others, but calling around is a good idea.

I have found more than $50-$100 difference between pharmacy's.

Best of luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Thanks for the responses. I have tried all over the counter acid reducers and they did not help and that is why I had to resort to getting a prescription in the first place. I still have some of the OTC brands left though not many cause I used most of them up trying to get them to work. The acid was horrible in the beginning. Even drinking sips of Water would start it up really bad to the point I wasn't eating. Trust, I would not spend $93 on medication unless it was needed. I am just happy that there is a solution to the feeling of being hungry all of the time. Because I was able to go several days without the dexilant does give me hope that the acid will probably go away though in the long run.

@Sannah, you are right, it pays to call around from pharmacy to pharmacy, I learned that many, many years ago regarding any type of shopping.

It actually costs $170 where I ended up getting it from and I was quoted prices up to $210 from other places and this was factoring in all of the other stores discounts and gift cards that they give if you transfer a prescription. So the cost went from $170 to $93 after store discount and a coupon from the dexilant website. Yes, many drug companies offer coupons on their meds cause they know they are so expensive. So if you have to pay for a script, just check the website for coupons.

Thanks for the responses. I have tried all over the counter acid reducers and they did not help and that is why I had to resort to getting a prescription in the first place. I still have some of the OTC brands left though not many cause I used most of them up trying to get them to work. The acid was horrible in the beginning. Even drinking sips of Water would start it up really bad to the point I wasn't eating. Trust, I would not spend $93 on medication unless it was needed. I am just happy that there is a solution to the feeling of being hungry all of the time. Because I was able to go several days without the dexilant does give me hope that the acid will probably go away though in the long run.

@Sannah, you are right, it pays to call around from pharmacy to pharmacy, I learned that many, many years ago regarding any type of shopping.

It actually costs $170 where I ended up getting it from and I was quoted prices up to $210 from other places and this was factoring in all of the other stores discounts and gift cards that they give if you transfer a prescription. So the cost went from $170 to $93 after store discount and a coupon from the dexilant website. Yes, many drug companies offer coupons on their meds cause they know they are so expensive. So if you have to pay for a script, just check the website for coupons.

I'm glad that you did your research before paying that much for it. That one sure is expensive. Did you try the other prescription ones that come in generics that are cheaper and usually covered? Omeprazole (Prilosec), Lansoprazole (Prevacid), and Pantoprazole (Protonix) are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Just trying to think of other things that might save you money =) I know there's Nexium too but that's only brand name still.

I am kinda worrying that I might have to end up back on a PPI again too. I'm having a little bit of acid reflux on and off now that I'm off the prevacid.