Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So Upset! May Have To Re-Do The Surgery!

I eat 4 oz regularly at 5.5 months out. Its easier if its a soft food... I'm able to eat less if its a solid Protein. One egg is still the max. It sounds like something is up if you can eat 3 eggs AND 3 sausage links...

Thank you for all of the concern and suggestions. I am on prescription Prilosec, and my surgeon used "the smallest size bougie". He mentioned tightening the bottom, or exit, of the sleeve to help hold food in longer. He said maybe I am chewing the food too much. (really!? my book tells me to chew each bite to the consistancy of applesauce!) I know that is not the case, as I tend to always be in a hurry and eat too fast. I have never felt full, or had any food disagree with my sleeve. Once or twice I have felt a little something near my collarbone...the most dense Protein I recall is 3 chicken legs, and another time 12 large shrimp. I can eat a pound of buffalo wings, no problem. I do not drink 30 minutes before or after eating. I guess I will just wait to see what the upper GI shows on Monday and go from there.

Thanks again for listening. It helps to vent to people who can "feel my pain"!

:rolleyes: Because it really matters if I say pouch/stomach/sausage sack/food sack people say pouch all the time it’s not the original stomach and a easier way of defining between what we used to have and what we have now.

So give me a break!

The only reason this annoys me is because sometimes I can't always tell if the person really knows the difference between the two. For most people it's just an interchanging of words and I know that they mean what the same thing to them, but especially when it's someone asking for advice about one surgery vs another it can be hard to know exactly what they do and don't know about the surgery. I feel like the differences between a pouch (stoma, made of a different portion of the stomach) vs a sleeve (intact sphincter) are actually quite big. This even came up with the dietitian and a nurse while I was post-op. They called it a pouch and curious to see if they realized I actually had a sleeve I corrected them and they said oh, well the post-op directions are pretty much the same. Not the same - my dietitian - who I don't really like - had given me different directions (RNY instead of VSG) than my surgeon wanted, thank goodness he actually corrected her when we talked after. She said 2 weeks soft food..he wanted 3 months. Not trying to be a pain about it, but I like the clarity of calling it a sleeve because I would like everyone to understand what our anatomy is and isn't, especially someone who is treating me medically. If I was certain all my health professionals understood what I had and all the new people and everyone reading knew the differences and which we have, it wouldn't be as annoying.

I'm rereading that paragraph and I'm hoping it doesn't come off as nitpicky/self righteous? lol Ahh screw it. I'm gonna post it anyway.

OP - I think everyone has really good points. If you are eating your dense Protein first you should feel more restriction. It does sound like a lot of food though. I am a little over 6 weeks out and can only get down about an egg. Every once in a while my eyes are bigger than my stomach and I cook two and then regret it because I end up throwing half away. Does your surgeon think that your sleeve looks bigger than most he does? Are you losing weight? What did he say when you told him you had a one time shot? Did he seem willing to work with you at all or anything? Especially in your second post it sounds like it's either too big or something is up. That is really a lot of food. I hope that they have more answers at the appointment for your upper GI. Let us know what they end up saying.

I just returned from my 6 week post op check up. As I have been telling my doctor and dietician from the beginning...I am hungry and I can eat too much! (examples: 3 eggs and 3 turkey sausage links/ entire 2 cup can of Soup / full plate of fish and green Beans...I always stop myself because I SHOULD, but know that I could eat more!) The dietician was so condescending. She just kept telling me that I just need to continue making healthy choices. She does not understand the fear of losing 100+ pounds, only to gain it back again. (which I have done several times) In fact, she encouraged me to eat like I used to...just to see what happens. I really feel like the surgery has not been helpful...I just feel like I am on a diet. I am hungry often, and simply relying on my willpower. What is going to happen when I have a weak moment and eat something I shouldn't eat? I was really counting on my sleeve to allow me to say "Well, at least I only ate 4 tablespoons of it".

I am having another upper GI on Monday. But the doc says the only thing he can do is go back in and try to tighten things up. I said "So...basicly re-do the surgery?" He nodded "yes." I told him I only had one shot at this because of finances, time off, and the fact that I will not upset my kids again by going back into the hospital for 3 more days.

I am pretty much devistated. That is my sleeve story thus far. :(

have you lost any weight so far? sorry that it isnt working out for you. I am a year out and still only able to eat about 1/2 cup of food in a sitting.

The only reason this annoys me is because sometimes I can't always tell if the person really knows the difference between the two. For most people it's just an interchanging of words and I know that they mean what the same thing to them, but especially when it's someone asking for advice about one surgery vs another it can be hard to know exactly what they do and don't know about the surgery. I feel like the differences between a pouch (stoma, made of a different portion of the stomach) vs a sleeve (intact sphincter) are actually quite big. This even came up with the dietitian and a nurse while I was post-op. They called it a pouch and curious to see if they realized I actually had a sleeve I corrected them and they said oh, well the post-op directions are pretty much the same. Not the same - my dietitian - who I don't really like - had given me different directions (RNY instead of VSG) than my surgeon wanted, thank goodness he actually corrected her when we talked after. She said 2 weeks soft food..he wanted 3 months. Not trying to be a pain about it, but I like the clarity of calling it a sleeve because I would like everyone to understand what our anatomy is and isn't, especially someone who is treating me medically. If I was certain all my health professionals understood what I had and all the new people and everyone reading knew the differences and which we have, it wouldn't be as annoying.

I'm rereading that paragraph and I'm hoping it doesn't come off as nitpicky/self righteous? lol Ahh screw it. I'm gonna post it anyway.

No your fine don’t worry.

I don’t mind what anyone calls it from stomach-pouch-sleeve-steve its not my issue anyone is free to call it what they want we on this forum all know what we are on about.

Going back to my post and the didn;t my mother ever say if everyone blah blah I was picked at for using the term pouch like I was a moron who didn’t know what surgery I had so I replied.

My consultant calls it a pouch I call it a pouch people call it a pouch its part of the stomach but its not a stomach as a stomach is know it’s a man made pouch of what is left of one so I call it as I will and won’t be picky with people for what they call it :)

@Sassygirl06

I have lost 18# in the six weeks since my surgery, and about 18 the week before on my pre-op diet.

I was feeling kind of pissed off today, and thinking about the dietician telling me to test it to see how much I can eat. I ate a piece of pizza with no problem. Not full or uncomfortable at all. But felt so bad for straying from my low carb diet that I chose to not see how much more I could eat. I regret eating it...I just wish this was working like it should.

Oh that's so awful! Maybe you should consider a revision to BPD (biliary pancreatic diversion). It keeps your sleeve but adds some malabsorptive features. I think your surgeon should cover some of the costs for this since they obviously left you with a sleeve the size of a BPD anyway!! Oh and I ate 6 slices of pizza tonight, I could have eaten more but stopped myself too- I totally get how you feel!!! Damn stomachs!!!

I am on omeprazole. I still eat a lot of soft foods. I found that when I ate a hard boiled egg, finishing it was difficult, I knew I was at my limit. I have had chicken but only two bites, I was tasting it before I served it to my family. I always measure my food, I have 4oz containers that I use. I hope I'm just being paranoid.

Oh that's so awful! Maybe you should consider a revision to BPD (biliary pancreatic diversion). It keeps your sleeve but adds some malabsorptive features. I think your surgeon should cover some of the costs for this since they obviously left you with a sleeve the size of a BPD anyway!! Oh and I ate 6 slices of pizza tonight, I could have eaten more but stopped myself too- I totally get how you feel!!! Damn stomachs!!!

I am not even going to try to eat something other than 4 oz. I don't even want to know if I can.

I think it is important to remember that the sleeve is a tool, you still have to exercise control over what and how much you eat, to an extent - the further out you get, the more important this becomes. I can tell you know this - you regret that pizza. Try to portion your food - if you know you can eat 12 shrimp, only put 6 on your plate, 1/2 of wings, etc. (remember there is alot of bone on that 1 lb of wings). Also, make sure you aren't allowing yourself to eat longer than 20-30 minutes - if you are, some of your food has digested and that is why you can eat more.

I think it is important to remember that the sleeve is a tool, you still have to exercise control over what and how much you eat, to an extent - the further out you get, the more important this becomes. I can tell you know this - you regret that pizza. Try to portion your food - if you know you can eat 12 shrimp, only put 6 on your plate, 1/2 of wings, etc. (remember there is alot of bone on that 1 lb of wings). Also, make sure you aren't allowing yourself to eat longer than 20-30 minutes - if you are, some of your food has digested and that is why you can eat more.

I think all of what you said is very true! I think my biggest problem is that I eat to fast. It took me 6 minutes to finish 1 egg (soft) with 2 Tbs of salsa but it was so good! I do feel full but comfortable. Do you think this is to much?

Was there anything that you turned to as a quick snack or to eat even though you weren't really hungry? I have a new love for Peanut Butter?

One egg with salsa is great! I don't think it's too much. There are phone apps to help you eat slower too - might be worth checking out. My go to Snacks when i feel snacky are beef Jerky and edamame, cherry tomatoes, grapes but i do portion them out. Have you tried o

PB2? Great healthier alternative to Peanut Butter.< /p>

:rolleyes: Because it really matters if I say pouch/stomach/sausage sack/food sack people say pouch all the time it’s not the original stomach and a easier way of defining between what we used to have and what we have now.

So give me a break!

Lol. Just what I was thinking. Relax folks.

One egg with salsa is great! I don't think it's too much. There are phone apps to help you eat slower too - might be worth checking out. My go to Snacks when i feel snacky are beef Jerky and edamame, cherry tomatoes, grapes but i do portion them out. Have you tried o

PB2? Great healthier alternative to Peanut Butter.

where can I find the PB2 and as soon as I start fresh fruits and veggies all of those things will be on my list.

Thank you, you have been very helpful.