Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Am I Not Loosing With My Sleeve?

So I was sleeved August 9, 2012. 4 weeks ago today. Before I went into surgery I was weighed at 218lbs. Now, 4 weeks post op, I weighed in at 211.8 this morning. 7.2lbs in 4 weeks with an extremely restricted diet.

I'm disappointed in the results and have tried so many things to encourage myself (self talk, seeing slow losers board, reminders that it takes time, that its still a loss etc.), but I just feel like the reality has fallen short of my expectations for the sleeve. I had a stall around week 2 which was expected, but even considering that, I feel like my body isn't doing what it is supposed to.

So here's the details and suggestions are welcomed:

I walk for exercise -- about 20-30 minutes/day, plus chores like mowing grass where I work up a sweat. Sunday is my one month and I plan to start doing more like swimming and beginner work out dvds (biggest loser ones).

What I eat:

Breakfast is a 100cal EAS Carb Control Protein shake (17g Protein),

lunch is usually Soup or left over supper or super steamed veggies from the cafeteria (I work at a hospital)

Supper is chicken mushed with dressing/spices (about 2 oz solid food right now)) or Ground Turkey recipes.

Snacks (2/day usually, sometimes 1 depending on Fluid intake) cheese, greek yogurt, Protein pudding (80 cals, 15g protein).

Fluids: I drink 1 Water bottle while at work (it's just shy of 1L), I have for sure one 500ml glass of herbal caffeine free tea in the evening, usually 2, but sometimes I switch this up with ProtiDiet hot chocolate (80 cals, 15g protein) in 500ml Water instead of more tea ior a chai tea latte (80cal, 4 carbs, 5g protein).

I feel like I'm doing everything right but the results aren't telling me that! Any help would be appreciated!!

I am told that it is our bodys trying to get caught up with its self. I do understand how you feel. Once I started to go work out at the gym. I have not lost any weight. And this has been for 4 weeks now. I am 7 weeks post op. Just hang in there it will get better.

I haven't had surgery yet so I'm no expert by far. However, my surgeon wouldn't even have me eating food at 4 weeks. I'm confused. I know I've posted this before at how we all seem to be getting different information on the same procedure. But, maybe try his plan: week 1 CLEAR liquid only. week 2 FULL liquid. week 3 puree. week 4 soft foods. week 5 (if you can tolerate it) regular diet in 2oz portions 5-6 per day. Also, 80grams Protein daily with 64oz Water. Good luck to you. :)

I haven't had surgery yet so I'm no expert by far. However, my surgeon wouldn't even have me eating food at 4 weeks. I'm confused. I know I've posted this before at how we all seem to be getting different information on the same procedure. But, maybe try his plan: week 1 CLEAR liquid only. week 2 FULL liquid. week 3 puree. week 4 soft foods. week 5 (if you can tolerate it) regular diet in 2oz portions 5-6 per day. Also, 80grams Protein daily with 64oz Water. Good luck to you. :)

Sorry, I should have clarified, I followed the clear week (Aug 9-16), the full liquid week (Aug16-23), the puree week (Aug 23 - 30) and have been eating soft/mushed/pureed solids since.

You're doing everything right, just give your body time and the weight will start to come off. The body struggels to maintain the fat stores it has been so diligently packing away for years and resists our every effort to lose it. After a time the body exhausts every "trick" it can use to prevent the loss and will be forced to use up the fat, and the weight starts dropping. So just give it time.

Sorry for being pedantic but I think you meant LOSING in your title instead of LOOSING.

You're doing everything right, just give your body time and the weight will start to come off. The body struggels to maintain the fat stores it has been so diligently packing away for years and resists our every effort to lose it. After a time the body exhausts every "trick" it can use to prevent the loss and will be forced to use up the fat, and the weight starts dropping. So just give it time.

Sorry for being pedantic but I think you meant LOSING in your title instead of LOOSING.

The moment I posted and saw "loosing", I was horrified. I knew it was losing, but there's no going back! I'm very ashamed and usually take pride in using proper spelling and grammar. Also, thanks, it's nice to hear that weight loss will happen and that I just need to have more patience!

I was sleeved on 6/29/12 and stalled in weeks 2, 3, & 4. Then the weight started coming off. As long as I get my Protein and fluids I lose the weight. I have only stalled one other week and that was last week when I had my monthly TOM. Then got on the scales and had went down 3 lbs in one day. It will happen. Your body has been through a lot and is in shock!

I would be discouraged too - but I guess one of the things i am learning through this journey is to just keep on keeping on. If you are doing the right things, the weight loss WILL happen.

I had a month long stall and wasn't discouraged exactly, but not too excited about it. Somehow, during that weight loss stall I dropped another clothing size and people who hadn't seen me thought i had lost alot of weight during that month. Go figure.

I am going to suggest that you try something really radical - just because i believe in changing things up when things aren't going as planned. What about not weighing for a month, but keep following the plan? How about during that month, change your exercise routine and possibly back away from the Soups (salt?). Sometimes something new and different causes the weight to start coming off for no explainable reason.

As far as food goes, check that you are getting enough Protein, but it sounds to me like you are eating pretty on target.

It sounds to me you're doing everything right too! But for clarication, it sounds like you're getting 2 L or 80 oz of Water? If so, that's excellent. Also sounds like you're tracking well but are you using a tool like My Fitness Pal to make sure nothing sneaks past? Other than that, the added exercise may be the ticket for you. One thing you didn't mention is whether or not you're seeing a change in how your clothes fit. Stay the course, the scale will move! Keep us posted.

I would be discouraged too - but I guess one of the things i am learning through this journey is to just keep on keeping on. If you are doing the right things, the weight loss WILL happen.

I had a month long stall and wasn't discouraged exactly, but not too excited about it. Somehow, during that weight loss stall I dropped another clothing size and people who hadn't seen me thought i had lost alot of weight during that month. Go figure.

I am going to suggest that you try something really radical - just because i believe in changing things up when things aren't going as planned. What about not weighing for a month, but keep following the plan? How about during that month, change your exercise routine and possibly back away from the Soups (salt?). Sometimes something new and different causes the weight to start coming off for no explainable reason.

As far as food goes, check that you are getting enough Protein, but it sounds to me like you are eating pretty on target.

You are right -- I am doing the right things, it will happen. I just want it to happen already!! I think I am going to take your advice and do something radical -- not weigh for the month. I know I get too hung up on the scale #. When I was stalled I lost inches because my clothing was feeling big, yet the scale didn't move. If I weigh monthly, I won't know if I'm stalled or in a rapid loss! I think that would help with the mental aspect. I also plan on adding a new exercise routine Sunday, so hopefully that will make a difference too.

It sounds to me you're doing everything right too! But for clarication, it sounds like you're getting 2 L or 80 oz of Water? If so, that's excellent. Also sounds like you're tracking well but are you using a tool like My Fitness Pal to make sure nothing sneaks past? Other than that, the added exercise may be the ticket for you. One thing you didn't mention is whether or not you're seeing a change in how your clothes fit. Stay the course, the scale will move! Keep us posted.

2L is 64 oz I think. I count a cup as 8 oz or approx 250ml. And I track using sparkpeople. I have been using it for a year and really like it, plus by now I have manually added in all my favorites! During my stall, my body changed and clothes were definitiely bigger. I start buying size 14 pants.

I was going to say,,try measuring yourself. You are probably losing inches instead of pounds right now and I'm pretty sure that the pounds will decrease before long.

The moment I posted and saw "loosing", I was horrified. I knew it was losing, but there's no going back! I'm very ashamed and usually take pride in using proper spelling and grammar. Also, thanks, it's nice to hear that weight loss will happen and that I just need to have more patience!

There is no shame here! We all make grammar errors and spelling. But I refuse to punish myself for making a mistake. I'm human and so are you..... You are doing everything right, but you might try LilMissDiva's "The Basic Bootcamp Diet" to shake things up. I will post it right here for you and it really works. It will get things moving again.....

The BASICS BOOTCAMP:

For 5 STRICT DAYS I will eat only...

Proteins: Seafoods, Poultry and eggs, Dairies, nuts/seeds including Peanut Butter.

Veggies: Green only.

Fruits: None.

Breads/Cereals/Other Carbs: None.

Fluids: One gallon of Water (128 oz.) or Protein Drinks.

Avoid: Sugar and Sodium

Once the 5 days are over, I am pretty much over the Sugar Carb Demon. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate carbs! I do need them to live a healthy life and since I workout a lot it is important I have them. However, I need GOOD carbs. Whole grains, fruits, veggies... But I don't need processed sugars. White carbs, in cereals, breads, rice... etc. Good luck! :)

You might want to have your urine checked too in order to find out if you are in ketosis or not.

Without getting your urine checked, you can usually figured out you are in ketosis if your mouth is really dry, and you have bad breath and a horrible taste in your mouth that even mints and brushing your teeth won't get rid of.