Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hiv & The Sleeve Desparate For Answers

Ok, so I had LapBand surgery in 2006, and it worked well. However, a couple of years later I got infected with the HIV virus. When I started the medication for that I could not longer use the band. It had to be completely loosened. The medications were very large and could not be crushed or disolved.

So, I recently went to see my surgeon after a few terrible years. She said I should consider the Vertical Sleeve.

I am looking to find folks who have done this surgery and also have HIV. Please...if you are out there, I desparately need your help.

I am a 6-1 486lb man.....it's do or die for me now.

HIV should not be a deterrant to any surgery, if a surgeon refuses that would be unconscionable. As far as the meds, there must be liquid formulations to your antiretrovirals, or some sort of alternative. You should speak to your ID doc first about formulations for your meds post sleev, and then find a surgeon to do it. good luck!

bmi.png

If your surgeon is recommending the sleeve-I would get it. You should be able to have a healthy and happy life with HIV and getting the sleeve can help with that. I am able to take some pretty big pills if I need to with the sleeve although I think the first month or so it might be a little difficult but I am sure you can do it. I hope someone with experience in this situation will respond.

Thanks for all your responses and support. I am working on trying to convince UHC to approve it. I have an Exclusion but am hoping to get it .... at 64 BMI I am at my last hope.

There are many people out there if u research that have hiv and gotten the sleeve, in this modern day and age and as a trained pharmacist i see no reason why you should be excluded from surgery as long as your constant on your medication and your tcells look great then why not?

Ok, so I had LapBand surgery in 2006, and it worked well. However, a couple of years later I got infected with the HIV virus. When I started the medication for that I could not longer use the band. It had to be completely loosened. The medications were very large and could not be crushed or disolved.

So, I recently went to see my surgeon after a few terrible years. She said I should consider the Vertical Sleeve.

I am looking to find folks who have done this surgery and also have HIV. Please...if you are out there, I desparately need your help.

I am a 6-1 486lb man.....it's do or die for me now.

First let me say a big hello to you. Sleeve should not be a contraindication to HIV. Check with your doctor and pharmacist about using a liquid form of anti vials. Why are you concerned with the two. I work in health care and EVERYDAY surgeries are performed on HIV patients. As you said tat this is it so you need to put your boots on get to researching. Talk to anyone you think can help. I will be waiting on you on the losers bench.

Well, I still have not found many folks with the exact same situation as myself, however, I am wondering if any of you were taking pills, uncrushable pills, immediately after the surgery? How did that go for you?

It looks like I will need to take my pills regardless and it remains a concern of mine for the first 2-4 weeks post op.

They gave me great big ol' pills right away at the hospital, and that scared the heck out of me. But they went right down.

Welcome! I really hope that you do have this life changing surgery. It's not a walk in the park, but it will change your life.

I have a whacked immune system and was so worried about this surgery. I found a compassionate surgeon and medical team who helped me each step of the way. 12 hours after the surgery I was taking my pills. My tummy was fine! I also have to give myself injections for my immune system (Enbrel) and I am happy to report that I am so much healthier now at only 4 months post-op that we are looking into diff options for me instead of Enbrel, which suppresses the immune system.

I know this isn't the same as your situation, but the moral to my story is GO FOR IT!!! Just find a really capable surgeon. Good luck and I hope we hear good reports from you.

Hi! I noticed you posted this a while back and haven't been very active. But, here's to hoping you see my post!!

I am HIV+ and have been for 9 years or so. I recently had the sleeve and do not have any problems. I let my ID and my gastric sleeve surgeon know everything in advance and didn't have any trouble. Also, I crush all of my meds and was never told I shouldn't, even after explicit conversations with my surgeon, my ID, and my pharmacist. So perhaps, getting on the meds which you can crush is the answer without having to go through another surgery.

If you see this and want to talk, let me know.

Mpositive, did you end up getting the sleeve???