Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve Post-Op Experiences?

I had the lap band about a year ago and lost about 70 pounds, recently the band slipped and I had to have to emptied so I have already gained back 30. My surgeon wants to take my band out and recommends the sleeve and I want to do something but I'm scared of the sleeve! I want to know what the recovery was like, how long you were off work (I'm a teacher), and if you would do it again.

I had surgery 4 weeks ago, I have lost 30 pounds and would do it again in a heartbeat. You can go back to work in 2 weeks but I decided to take 4 weeks off. I stayed 1 night in hospital. Took pain medicine for 5 days then stopped. Worst part was the hour after surgery before morphine kicked in and gas pain in shoulder.

I'm band to sleeve, 4 weeks out. I went back to work after 2 weeks. I was only planning on one week, but was to exhausted to go back. I was in the hospital 2 days. I only took my pain med twice when I was home then I was off of them. I definitely would do it again

I also am band to sleeve, 3 weeks out. i am still out and will be going back to work next week. Recovery was wasn't too bad for me. Not alot of pain just sore. I stayed in the hospital for two nite and that was the only time i used any pain meds. I too find that i get tired fast, but i would do it again in a heart beat!!! I love my sleeve!!! Oh, and i am down 20lbs!

I'm a teacher too, and I went back to work after two weeks. I teach at a university, so it involves a lot of walking too. I was tired the third week -- falling asleep while watching the news, but it did get better.

I didn't take any pain meds after my hospital stay. I haven't had any issues, and I haven't thrown up anything not even while still in the hospital.

I was sleeved Aug 30. Went back to work Sept 4th. I am pain free and incisions are almost healed.

I got sleeved on Wed Sept 5th, it's harder to adjust to than I thought it would be. There is more pain involved in sipping liquids than I expected.

I'm band to sleeve and went back to work in one week. The sleeve is 100% better than the band, at least for me. I'm so glad I never have to go in for an adjustment ever again. I just keep dropping lbs!!! :-)

I didn't take any pain medication after I left the hospital. No pain at all and no complications!

I had the lap band about a year ago and lost about 70 pounds, recently the band slipped and I had to have to emptied so I have already gained back 30. My surgeon wants to take my band out and recommends the sleeve and I want to do something but I'm scared of the sleeve! I want to know what the recovery was like, how long you were off work (I'm a teacher), and if you would do it again.

I'm a bit over 6 weeks out and my recovery was good. If I push myself my side hurts, but as long as I stay within my body's limits I feel good. Still have some issues with low energy. Surgeon says it will probably be about the 3 month point where I see a marked increase in my energy. I took 4 weeks off work (I'm a pharmacy technician) and I'm glad that I took that long. Toward the end of week 3/4 I was getting very bored at home, I probably could have gone back the beginning of week 3 if I absolutely needed to. At work I have to bend over a lot to get meds from low shelves and even once in a while now it is sore when I go too quick - so 4 weeks was a good call from that standpoint. I would get sleeved again 100% no doubt about it. It has been a great experience. I'm 38 pounds down (including 10 pre-op) and I feel much healthier.

Thank you for all of your info! I am feeling a lot better about the sleeve. I've been so scared and was even considering re-doing my lap-band but I think the sleeve might be a better fit for me.

I had to go to the ER yesterday, for dehydration. Now I SIP Water whether it hurts or not.