Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating Too Fast, Meal Times

As i'm reading this post, I'm having flash backs about how I get so frustrated when the other people I'm eating are shoveling their food down. It drives me crazy. i use to be like that but now, I'm like, what's the hurry, my foods not going anywhere. When I'm done I can't help but push my plate away. I do have secret thoughts of wishing I could eat more because it's so tasty. But quickly reframe to how I love my skinniness! :) LOL

and you are worth the wait

This is where I go off from my previous good habits! I used to always leave my desk for lunch and insist the family sit at the table for dinner. No longer. The post sleeve me eats at my desk. This way, I van take45 minutes to eat half a cup of chilli for my lunch (for example). I work or surf the net in between and the breaks give me time to digest. At dinner I have moved to in front of the tv. I take breaks and eat at my own pace. I find myself mortified at how quickly my husband eats and he frequently finishes his big plate before I have finished my tiny plate. I use a rice bowl and a teaspoon for soft food and a side plate with regular cutlery for other meals. I don't worry about counting chews, I go for consistency.

I am 4 days into pureed foods and am learning to slow down the hard way. Being a big guy, I an SOOO accustomed to "inhaling" mass quantities of food. Ohhhh no more!! I was in pain quite a bit this weekend all because I was eating too fast. I am learning which foods do and do not agree with me and today it took me 30-40 minutes to eat 2 ounces of food this afternoon. I mist admit, it was my most satisfying meal yet. It was baby shrimp. I am gonna eat them for a few more days as I figure out this new "eating deal".

My sleeve is schooling my big ass, trust me!!

My sleeve is schooling my big ass' date=' trust me!![/quote']

Ha!

Will be in your boat next month! I know it will be a daily experiment for a while.

Hand raised for the inhaling food, too.

Trying not to do it now before surgery, it is surprising things taste different.

Yes you will..but trust me..it's worth it..I am 43 pounds down in 4 weeks, including my 2 week pre-op diet. I wouldn't trade this....even with the annoyances... I also added Prilosec to my daily regimen this weekend....that heartburn came as soon as I started mushies! I'm calling the doc for something stronger tomorrow!

Taking two prevacid in the am now before surgery. Wonder how prilosec compares?

It works for me. I got the idea off of this forum! I was having heartburn and didn't know what to do! That search feature was a lifesaver! For real!!

This is hardest part of it, when I had the band I didn't have a choice bu to eat slow but now with the sleeve you can eat a lot faster. I hate sitting at a table and eating because it's so boring while u watch everyone shovel their food down. I like to take a bout 5 bites while they eat and then finish eating while I clean up or play on the computer or watch tv, anything to help distract me. What's even harder is trying to eat in. 20,in at work in front of coworkers that don't know I've had surgery. I never eat slow enough and I never feel good after eating, I want to lay down but I just push ur it I've become use to the discomfort and because I'll eat faster then I should I eat less about 1/4c

I have had to learn to put my fork down between bites & I cut my food up into smaller bites...

I do crossword puzzles while I eat dinner and put the fork down between bites. Being occupied while I eat seems to help.

I have learned that if you let your self get the point of "starving", it's much harder to eat slowly and -that's when that last bite of doom happens for me. It's a learning experience but you will only take that "one more bite" a couple of times before you realize the pain, discomfort and possible vomiting from it.

Good luck!!

Only in my second week post op... So still on liquids... as I read these posts I wonder how its gonna be like when i do go back to solids & mushy mash... I have a cup of yogurt and dont seem to have any problems if I go slow...