Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 Weeks Out And 4 Glasses Of Wine Almost Killed Me!

I have been so good about following everything to a T as far as diet but on Friday I was having a camp fire with friends and one glass of wine couldn't hurt right? Well it went down so well I had another and another and then after filling up the 4th glass, one sip and I was so drunk and so sick I thought I was going to die. My poor husband wanted to take me to the hospital. With no food to throw up I was dry heaving for a good hour. Scared him terribly and would have scared me at the time had I not been so out of it. Once I came to I was horified at what I had done and have spent the last 2 days gently trying to rebuild myself and praying I haven't done any serious damage. My stomach is still upset and I'm still shaky. Working to make sure I go way over on my Fluid intake. Stupid, stupid, stupid. DON'T DO IT! Not sure I will ever drink again. Ever. So now I've lost comfort of food (by my own choice and I'm dealing with that) and comfort of "letting my hair down" every now and then. I really need to find another way to let loose. Man, I sound pathetic.

Give yourself a break. You've been through hell. Punishment enough.

Focus on the future!

Don't beat yourself up, look at it as a lesson learned and move forward. Most of us have found that while we can still drink alcohol, it only takes one or two drinks to get a buzz and anymore than that can be dangerous.

Sent from my iPad using VST

Wow!! Lesson learned the hard way, huh? I am WAY to scared to do that at all!!

Glad you are better. Be nice to yourself awhile-- like liquids, maybe.

Thanks for the warning!

I have been so good about following everything to a T as far as diet but on Friday I was having a camp fire with friends and one glass of wine couldn't hurt right? Well it went down so well I had another and another and then after filling up the 4th glass' date=' one sip and I was so drunk and so sick I thought I was going to die. My poor husband wanted to take me to the hospital. With no food to throw up I was dry heaving for a good hour. Scared him terribly and would have scared me at the time had I not been so out of it. Once I came to I was horified at what I had done and have spent the last 2 days gently trying to rebuild myself and praying I haven't done any serious damage. My stomach is still upset and I'm still shaky. Working to make sure I go way over on my Fluid intake. Stupid, stupid, stupid. DON'T DO IT! Not sure I will ever drink again. Ever. So now I've lost comfort of food (by my own choice and I'm dealing with that) and comfort of "letting my hair down" every now and then. I really need to find another way to let loose. Man, I sound pathetic.[/quote']

I did the same thing one night I got terribly carried away. I think we are trying to feel like ourselves again. I was sick the following day as well. Please don't be too hard on yourself there are PLENTY of us who have tested the boundaries. We don't have to eliminate everything we need to relearn and adjust. Good luck :)

I have a cousin that was sleeved 15 months ago. He did the same thing, except with mixed drinks. Like he said, it's instant feedback eat or drink too much and your going to pay the price. Don't beat yourself up over it. Like others have said, lesson learned. Good Luck

I hope you feel better soon. I am 3 months out and one small glass of wine about knocked me on my butt, but I'm not a big drinker and I used to only drink beer once in a great while, but now that's out. It definitely takes time to get accustomed to the new 'normal' but in the end it's worth it.

I am sure your note will sink in with other people and prevent someone else from going through the terrible time you went through.

Cut yourself some slack, and remember this is a long journey and we all learn from our mistakes.

Dayuuum, I had 3 sips of my wifes margaritta at Don Pablos and she had to drive home

WOW - That sounds like something that I would do. Hope you are feeling better and are able to enjoy a glass of wine again somewhere down the road.

Dude. I was told to stay away from alcohol for a full year and I'm a girl who loves a nice sweet red wine to relax at the end of the day. I've not had anything alcoholic since my surgery and plan on staying away from it from here on out.

As others have said, lesson learned and move on. I drank some white wine about 3 weeks out; just a small bit and decided it wasn't worth the calories. But I love wine and drink it regularly now. I just watch the amount and never drink on an empty stomach. I love trying new wines! Wine and cheese are my weakness, but easy does it :) Good luck to you!