Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Don't need a new band

Hi Everyone,

Well I am back! The surgeon seems stumped but the verdict is:

I dont need a new band. Repositioning my present band might not get me a better result (weight and restriction). It is larger than it is supposed to be, but not so large or damaged that it requires another surgery.

My throat is fine, although still slightly enlarged

My pouch is slightly enlarged, but looking relatively healthy, no lesions, just a little crimping on one side of the pouch.

THere is a small area of my throat that looks irritated, but the doc doesnt know why. You can see it very clearly at the base of my throat and I have the pics.

My new surgeon feels that my band might have been too tight and although I didnt have symptoms of a too tight band, it probably contributed to the pouch enlargement from overeating.

He gave me a fill in his office back up to 2:00 CC, which is .50 less than I had before. He wants me to go get a flouro locally and send it to him so I don't have to travel so far and then send it to him next month to see how things are looking.

I kinda have mixed feelings about all this, since I really dont feel that I have answers to my questions. I am happy that I dont have an erosion, dont have any serious problems in my esophagus and stomach, but at the same time, why isnt my band working the way it should???

I have some restriction which I can feel this morning drinking my coffee. Lots of gurgles and burps which I think are a good sign. So I remain optimistic.

Thanks for the support. IT is a appreciated.

Babs in TX

Hey Babs,

I was wondering how the unfill went. Good to hear you dont need surgery again.

Sorry to hear about the uncertainties with the other stuff, hopefully it will sort itself out.

Hey, Babs, that's great news! It's good to know you don't need surgery.

I think it's entirely possible to be "too tight," at this late stage of the game, and not know it. What's "too tight" might be just another way of saying that, three years out, our sensation level has dropped to the point where it's easy to routinely take one more bite than we would have otherwise, and without any negative repercussions (that we can feel). I mean, remember when we first had good restriction? I used to take a bite, wait two minutes, take another bite and so on, and after just a few spoonfuls of whatever I'd be done. Now that seems laughable, but if my inner architecture hasn't changed then that's what I should STILL be doing. Otherwise, I guess, I'm inadvertently packing the pouch a bit more than it should be.

Sigh. The learning curve never ends, it seems.

Hi Alex,

I really have always liked your laid back approach, since I am far too uptight about issues that don't have solid black or white answers. Now, back to the business of losing weight with my "desensitized" esophagus.! LOL I am now convinced that I will never really know the answers and I will just have to do the best I can with what I have. SIGH :)

Babs in TX

YAY!! thats wonderful news! i hope you have an uneventful month and are able to put this past you!

I am now convinced that I will never really know the answers and I will just have to do the best I can with what I have. SIGH :)

Babs in TX

thats where i am too babs!!!

Babs!!!! That's great news. I, too, feel kind of weird not knowing exactly why I have perfect restriction at 7 cc's when I was wide open at 8.5cc's in my Swedish Band...what the heck!!! But I guess the answer is that there is no clear answer. Not only are the mechanics of the band still being discovered, but our bodiy mechanics will forever be a mystery.

I'm so glad you don't need a new band or to reposition your current one. You've done so well so far and worked so hard...

Megan

This really is good news, Babs, I know you know this! All is well with your band, you are fighting your head now. And THAT's a battle you CAN win! Yay you! Thank you so, so much, all of you, for sharing your longer-term bandster stories, the good, bad and ugly. You are an inspiration. I have not had a fill since last October. And I'm not getting one. I'm leaving this puppy alone, I say! I'll work with what I've got. Your experiences are very comfirming of this desicion. So, thank you. :)

Babs, that is great news...I am happy for you that you finally got some answers. Hopefully this new fill wil lrejuvenate you and start thedownward trend of losing again

Hi Babs,

I am glad to hear that you do not have to have additional surgery. Hopefully they will get everything straightened out for you and your band will start working for you.