Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cooking After The Sleeve

I normally cook my family's big meals. Christmas, Thanksgiving, & Easter. Everything from mac and cheese, to cream corn, & fresh green Beans and tomotoes. I am not a chef by any means and I have learned to cook throughout the years. My husband enjoys my cooking. For those of you post-sleeve. Do you still enjoy cooking for others? Have you modified the way you cook for holiday dinners? I find that when I do make these larger meals, I hardly eat just from being tired of cooking all day anyway.

We are traveling to the US this Christmas and I will be the one to cook more than likely. I am just wondering if I will want to.

I still cook for family functions. And, yes, the recipes have changed to adapt to me. Many times, they don't even realize what I've done to change up the recipe. I just say I'm trying something new that I thought everyone would like.

For example, for our gathering tomorrow I am taking pulled pork (sauce on the side), deviled eggs with light mayo, a couple of different side items (probably a black bean salad and a veggie tray) and a sugar free lemon pudding dessert and fruit. My mom will cook and so will my sister.

I want to make sure I always have healthy choices available.

I cook the big thanksgiving meal for the family every year. This will be my first year with the sleeve. I really don't think I will make anything differently than I have in the past. But I will make some new healthier options to go along with everything else for myself and anyone else who wants them.

I do know in addition to the usual deviled eggs I usually make that everyone loves i plan on making the avocado devil bomb eggs that the recipe is here on the forum for. Those things RULE!

I normally cook my family's big meals. Christmas' date=' Thanksgiving, & Easter. Everything from mac and cheese, to cream corn, & fresh green Beans and tomotoes. I am not a chef by any means and I have learned to cook throughout the years. My husband enjoys my cooking. For those of you post-sleeve. Do you still enjoy cooking for others? Have you modified the way you cook for holiday dinners? I find that when I do make these larger meals, I hardly eat just from being tired of cooking all day anyway.

We are traveling to the US this Christmas and I will be the one to cook more than likely. I am just wondering if I will want to.[/quote']

I cook for my family all the time. It is what gets the (grown) kids together and pulls us together as a family.

I say cook Thanksgiving dinner and don't change a thing. You can just fill up on Protein first. Don't let the sleeve change who you are, or how you relate to friends and family. I got the sleeve so that I could live and love more,not less.

That is just my vote.

Sent from my iPad using VST

I'm two years out now, but I cook and did it from just a few weeks post op. I'm a serious baker and I bake three or four days a week. I entertain large groups several times a month, too.

I love cooking just as much now as I did then. I just don't eat as much as I used to eat! I'd say that in the beginning, when I was on liquids and soft foods, it was a definite concern. I didn't want to be around food much because I couldn't eat it. My way around this was to simply prepare several meals before my surgery and freeze them, so my family could have the home cooked meals they're used to while I was healing.

I did a huge Thanksgiving spread for 22 people when I was about four months post op. I enjoyed cooking, I enjoyed having my family eat everything. Over the course of an entire day I got to try a bite of everything I wanted, and I didn't feel resentful or frustrated at all.

I'm back in the states visiting family and the first thing I did was make a menu with my family of all the good things I'd bake and cook while I'm here! It's just a part of who I am and it didn't get cut out with my stomach.

~Cheri

I do not see me changing a thing. It is rare occasion to actually cook so much at one time and I enjoy it. I like to bake as well. Every Christmas Eve I bake Cookies with our six year old. I was just wondering emotionally how I would do. My mom asked me am I gonna be okay around all that food. I told her I will be able to eat just less.

I'm going to be on liquid diet during thanksgiving and post op for christmas. I have always enjoyed trial by fire, but this is serious.

That it is, I would say....wow! I am hoping to get my surgery done this month so I have some time. I think the holiday's is a tough time, but if you can get through that you will def. master your sleeve!