Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone "cured" their sleep apnea with weight loss?

Thanks Everyone! Now i am really excited to loose the next 25 lbs and be retested. I had it really bad- a 7 setting would just tickle! I am at 16.5- yes, can blow the paint right off the walls! But is sure did help and I don't regret it- the cpap probably saved my life. Congrats to everyone who was able to dump their machines!

I'm using CPAP, too, and the pulmonary doctor told me they'd do another sleep study to see if I still need it, when I've lost 75 or 100 lbs. My surgeon told me the apnea might go away when I've lost about 30 lbs. I'm using Swift mirage nasal pillows; it's ok, I'm not thrilled with it. My husband says the occasional noise from the machine is a whole lot better than listening to me snore. The machine is a lot less noisy than I thought it would be -- only occasional noise if the mask slips off.

My question is, for those of you who discontinued CPAP on your own, how did you know when it was safe to do so? Since sleep Apnea can result in heart disease and stroke, weren't you afraid to discontinue it?

I'm using CPAP, too, and the pulmonary doctor told me they'd do another sleep study to see if I still need it, when I've lost 75 or 100 lbs. My surgeon told me the apnea might go away when I've lost about 30 lbs. I'm using Swift mirage nasal pillows; it's ok, I'm not thrilled with it. My husband says it's a whole lot better than listening to me snore.

My question is, for those of you who discontinued CPAP on your own, how did you know when it was safe to do so? Since sleep Apnea can result in heart disease and stroke, weren't you afraid to discontinue it?

Hey that is a good idea, next time my hubby complains I am gonna ask him what is better snoring or air noise? I have the swift mirage too. Do you find yourself taking it off in your sleep? I did that twice last week and omg---legs got bloated again and got out of breath easier...ugh. I found a cure though......I barrette the neoprene band to the top of my head! That way I will have to wake up if I pull on my hair! Not only was I taking it off -which is odd- I have long hair so I actually have to sit up to take it off..I wear it like a hairband..but I was also turning the machine off too!!

I am glad I have it, but can't wait to get rid of it. :nervous

My DH did a one night test run first and everything went fine. Then he talked it over with his PCP, who said go for it.

I'm not sure every CPAP has this, but mine has a "Ramp" button that sets the pressure to the minimum (4), then over a period of time (10,20,30,45 mins), elevates the pressure to the specified level (16 for me). I was having difficullty getting to sleep and kept having to reach over and press the Ramp button, sometime several times. I had my the ramp time increased to the maximum (45 mins), and since then, I haven't had any problem getting to sleep.< /p>

I'm looking forward to the day I can retire my CPAP. My DD shares the thought.

I had disturbed sleep caused by sleep "hypneas" - I believe that was the term.. basically it was borderline apnea but not serious enough to justify a CPAP machine... since I have lost weight I have definitely stopped snoring!

Hi,

Mine ramps but I don't use it. I just put the mask on and exhale and poof...goes right on. I love using it because my ankles are starting to look normal..yay!

I am hoping to get rid of mine, but I am not optimistic. My dad had AWFUL sleep apnea, and he was always skinny - six feet, four inches and 180 pounds. And I was doing the snoring-snorting stuff when I was under 150 pounds, in college. I really want it gone!!!

I was at 16 and now have dropped to 12. After reading some of your replies I want to try to sleep without it. I hate my mask it is a full face mask. I have lost 65lbs. and feel my breathing has improved also I quit smoking a year ago. But sometimes sleep apnea is associated with family history and I think my father had it so I might not ever get rid of it. But at least now I will give it a try.:notagree

I know that you can have sleep apnea and not snore. I only snored occasionally. On my sleep study, I did not snore and was still measured as having 'severe' apnea. I believe it is not safe to discontinue CPAP without getting medical advice to do so. Are there any medical professionals on this board who can amplify?

I am really encouraged by all the people who have beaten this but I am also leary about just stopping using the cpap. I was really bad before I got my cpap- falling asleep in front of my computer at work- with my eyes open ( scared the heck out of my co workers!!), falling asleep in the middle of sentences, on th freeway on the way to work ( luckily at 5 in the morn and i would force myself to wake back up.) We have a love/ hate relationship, my cpap and me. I will not be sorry to see it go but I will definately not run over the machine with the truck till I am sure all the symptioms i had do not return. Oh, by the by, I still snore with the machine.