Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone "cured" their sleep apnea with weight loss?

I 'm curious and hopefull, Has anyone "cured" their sleep apnea after loosing the weight you needed to? My dr says that about 80% of patients are able to go off of some of their meds and loose their sleep apnea. I had my yearly physical and to my suprise, my colesterol was down 20 points from last yr and for the first time in about 15 yrs I needed to decrease my thyroid med so i think i am headed in the right direction. Can i really look forward to backing over my CPAP with the truck at some point in the future? I am sure my DH would be more then happy to put it under the tires for me! My reg dr said I should probably be tested again when I get to the 100 lb loss pt- 25 to go!

I hear ALL THE TIME from people who have recovered from sleep apnea after losing weight. Of course, it's not a given--there may be other causes for the apnea that weight loss won't alleviate. But in the pre-op meetings I attend there are always people saying that when they lost XX pounds they lost the CPAP machine.

Good luck--I hope it happens for you! Chances are excellent that it will.

I 'm curious and hopefull, Has anyone "cured" their sleep apnea after loosing the weight you needed to? My dr says that about 80% of patients are able to go off of some of their meds and loose their sleep apnea. I had my yearly physical and to my suprise, my colesterol was down 20 points from last yr and for the first time in about 15 yrs I needed to decrease my thyroid med so i think i am headed in the right direction. Can i really look forward to backing over my CPAP with the truck at some point in the future? I am sure my DH would be more then happy to put it under the tires for me! My reg dr said I should probably be tested again when I get to the 100 lb loss pt- 25 to go!

LOL-I'm with you on backing a truck over the CPAP, even though I love what it's done for me.

My sleep doctor told me there is a very good chance losing weight will take care of the apnea, but there was also a chance it won't. It depends on your physical structure.

:clap2: I just got brave enough to try it over the past weekend and it is now history...I am so happy not to have to wear a mask at night. Any of the styles hurt my nose and/or mouth. I lost 50 lbs before I was fairly confident that I could attempt a night without the CPAP.

What a glorious feeling that is!

Good Luck!

After 50 lbs I gave mine up. It had been wonderful and helped me for months but don't need it now....DH says I snore a little now and then but not bad. And I'm still sleeping well. I didn't wait to go back for another test....just ditched it!!

Geez I hope I am in that 80% . I am waiting for a call today from the sleep apnea people, apparently I am taking off the mask (and its tiny) and shutting off the machine---while totally asleep...I am shocked when I wake up and find it lying next to me on the bed! When I am down about 50 lbs I am gonna get retested..I can't trust not snoring is a sign its gone, some people with sleep apnea don't snore. I will happily let them goo my head if it means I can put it away in the closet...yay!!

Good point Bettina, lack of snoring isn't always lack of Apnea. I have a follow-up next week with my sleep doctor, I'll talk to him about being retested then, at what weight loss and all. I didn't mind the sleep test all that much, I'd go through it again also if I could retire my machine.

I just picked up my cpap on Frinday and I hate it!!! I can not sleep with it. It hurts my nose and feels like the preassure is to high. I called the company and they said to use the humidifier and that my setting is only at 7 and they can not go much lower. I hope I can get used to it, I have my surgery next Thursday and my doc wants me to be used to it by then.

I just picked up my cpap on Frinday and I hate it!!! I can not sleep with it. It hurts my nose and feels like the preassure is to high. I called the company and they said to use the humidifier and that my setting is only at 7 and they can not go much lower. I hope I can get used to it, I have my surgery next Thursday and my doc wants me to be used to it by then.

What kind of mask are you using?

I started out with Swift Nasal pillows and didn't like them. They make my nose hurt and were very noisy. I think the one I have now is a Comfortlite 2, and I'm using the simple cushion, it fits over my nose and is very comfortable.

The humidifier helped me.

Dana I am a 7 too!!!! What kind of mask do you have?? Mine is really tiny!!

s8-swift-250.jpgIts really a tiny set up!

Mine is called Mirage Swift nasal pillows...If I had to have a real mask I'd shoot myself-no worries about sleep apnea after that!! My kids call me Scuba Steve!!! LOL

Thanks Bettina and Lisah25, my mask is called ultra mirage II nasal mask. After seeing Bettina's I think I want that one its so tiny and it looks like it does'nt put all that pressure on your face like mine does.

What kind of mask are you using?

I started out with Swift Nasal pillows and didn't like them. They make my nose hurt and were very noisy. I think the one I have now is a Comfortlite 2, and I'm using the simple cushion, it fits over my nose and is very comfortable.

The humidifier helped me.

I tried that one for my overnight fitting, it kept sliding off my face-I lay on my side to sleep. Yeah mine seems to be noisy if it comes off my nostrils. Hubby sleeps on the couch sometimes claims it wakes him up...but we use the air conditioner at night so I don't see how he can hear my mask. My nostrils are so so tiny...I have these odd "pillows" they don't go up my nose, they kinda just block them so no outside air gets in. None of the nosepillows fit due to the tiny nostrils (currently my best feature -that and small ears--till I lose weight...LOL)

Thanks Bettina and Lisah25, my mask is called ultra mirage II nasal mask. After seeing Bettina's I think I want that one its so tiny and it looks like it does'nt put all that pressure on your face like mine does.

I checked it out Dana, no, I couldn't use that one either. Mine just goes under my nose...like a fake mustache...lol.