Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unbelievable!!!

I went to a new PCP (my old one quit) yesterday to have my hormones checked. I am just not really losing weight with this band, even being at great restriction. The first thing he tried to do was tell me I'm depressed. He kept asking me if I felt depressed and I kept telling him no. He said "you're not losing weight, doesn't that depress you?" Ok, well after I finally made it perfectly clear that I am not depressed, he finally decided to check my hormones......good thing because I was ready to walk out by this time.

Then he asks if I would like some diet pills. I almost fell out my chair. My husband told the Doc I barely eat as it is, diet pills are not what I need.

Needless to say, my experience with Doctors has not been good the last few years. I fired many Endos. before finally, finally being diagnosed with a thyroid problem. My Endo I have now is able to read between the lines and look at patterns instead of seeing normal test results and thinking everything is fine. Unfortunately I don't have an appt. with him until Jan. I'm going to make sure he gets a copy of all of these results so maybe he can help me find out what is wrong. My temp was 96.5 and I feel like crap, so I'm thinking maybe my thyroid is acting up again.

I don't know, I just want to feel good and lose weight. I know in my heart something is wrong...somewhere.....just need confirmation and help to fix it so I can get this show on the road. I paid way too much money for this not to work.

Well...... there are a lot of questions that would need to be asked before deciding that this "isn't working", IMHO. As for your thyroid problem, and I'm not saying that you DON'T have a problem, I feel that if you look long enough and hard enough you can probably FIND a problem of one sort or another. Either way you go, I pray you find the answers that you are searching for.

I'm assuming you are keeping up your Water intake and exercising faithfully...:)

Thyroid stuff can be tricky. Are you on Synthyroid? What strength? If it was me, I'd call the endo and tell them I think something is going on with my thyroid and ask for appointment soonest.

Good luck on your search for answers.

Jo Ann

I take a combo of Synthroid and Armour. I tried to get in sooner, but he is booked up completely. I had an appt. for October, but we are going on vacation so had to cancel that one.

I was actually diagnosed with Hashimotos because of antibodies, so there is definitely a thyroid problem. I just think that there is something else going on also. My TSH has to be totally suppressed (under 1)to get my T3 and T4 where they need to be. Until my T3 is optimal I don't feel well. I've had them tell me PCOS (but have no cysts).........maybe pituitary problem....maybe hitting perimenopause at 36.......not really sure. I just know SOMETHING is wrong and it seems like it's going to take a miracle to find out what it is.

I do drink Water.....I do exercise regularly...2 miles everyday with weights 2x a week.

With all that going on, I can see why you fired so many endos until you found someone you could really work with. A suggestion for getting an earlier appointment -- ask them to call you when they have a cancellation. I've done that and gotten in much sooner.

Good luck!

Jo Ann

My big question is.."what is normal"? I take Synthroid, I think a little higher dosage is what I really need, but because I fall into the "normal" range with the dosage I'm taking now, my dr won't up the dosage. I still have all the symptoms of hypo, but I'm in the "normal" range. Errrr!

To me it's nothing more than stereo typing people. Why couldn't we just do a test run on the higher dosage for a few months then if there's no diff, then drop back. JMO

This may seem like an off the wall question, but are you taking any birth control?

I had some issues that seem similar to the ones you are describing several years ago, after taking the birth control injections (Depo-Provera). They may be great for some people, but not me! I believe it started a cascade of problems that included throid imbalance, symptoms that mimic fibromyalgia, and depression. I gained tons of weight.

Just something to think about it.

Hey Miper,

You may already be doing this, but if you're not you should definitely start: Journal your food/caloric intake. When you go to the doctor, they are more likely to listen to you, and believe you, if you can show them proof of your inability to lose weight on a lower calorie diet. There are a couple of very good online journals to choose from: www.FitDay.com which is the one I use and absolutely LOVE (buy the $20 downloadable one rather than the free one - it works 10 times better) and www.Sparkpeople.com. I've never used it, but others swear by it!

Until I was able to see EXACTLY the number of calories I was consuming, I was never SURE that my efforts weren't in vain. Now I now when it's OK to have that treat if I really want it, or when I should hold off because I've reached my caloric restriction for the day.

If you've got your food journal in hand when you visit your doctor, there's no way they can question your participation in your weight loss. Once that factor is ruled out, there's no other alternative but to look for the problem.

Sorry you're having problems, best wishes and let us know what's happening please.

It might not be your thyroid. But keep pressing for answers.

Ask to have your cortisol level checked. Ask for three UFCs to be run.

In my experience Endos seem to be pretty closed minded. The first one told me there was no way I had Cushing's because it was too rare. Funny, but there is no way to diagnose diseases by the way someone "looks." You can't diagnose high blood pressure or diabetis by the way someone looks. ...