Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Its sad how quickly people get self righteous and nasty on this forum sometimes.

What is a PPI?

Proton pump inhibitor. It reduces the production of stomach acids.

I just want to say for the record to anyone who will listen that I' date=' at age 37, had TOTALLY OVER did it back in June. (I'm still pre sleeve). I swear I haven't been that sick since high school. I swore off drinking alcohol. It was over a month later when I tried again. Mainly to tell my brain that I'm overreacting. I wasnt.

Lesson: pre sleevers go on a big bender and develop an aversion. Worked for me ;)

:) :) :)

[/quote']

Me too. I did the same thing 3 months before surgery. I was an everyday drinker and 2 months out I have had a drink here and there. Not too into it but I did enjoy 3 bloody mary's one time but no buzz. Just wasted calories. I don't get the buzz I used to get. I get tired and hungry.

Oh so like prilosec.

Yes, Prilosec is a PPI

I'm not surprised' date=' he better not win![/quote']

I have a friend that said she has a whole year that is a blur after she began drinking after her sleeve. She ended up in AA for a while. Oddly enough she is my favorite bartender at a local bar.

I drink Bacardi Lemon waters with crystal light ice tea, each time I get a different effect- usually have drinks on Saturdays only- yes higher calories from the booze- and yes 5 months post op- and no do not drive. Just have to eat well the rest of the week!! I am not an alcoholic because I enjoy a few drinks- yes I am happy I did the surgery- yes some are over critical on this site! But I am happy :-) good luck everyone!!

Just dropped into this conversation - I am a drinker - sleeved in January 2012 - down 84lbs. I did not have a drink for three months; then I took it slow and tested it out with a beer (my drink of choice) got drunk fast and came down even faster. Then tried wine (red felt too thick) found a nice pino and drank a few glasses a week, but never felt good in the morning. So I went to my next favorite Vodka - tried it with soda and all was okay other than I drank it too fast. A friend suggested Vodka on the rocks. It is now my drink of choice as I have one or two sip it while drinking Water on the side; I get a little buzzed slowly and it all works.

The sleeve works differently for everyone; it is trial and error with it all. I chose the sleeve because I wanted to live my life my way and it is working for me.

Well I like - okay love - jack Daniels and Water. I'm looking very forward to be able to have one. I'm thinking I'll star off with white wine at Christmas ( was sleeved 9/25) - and then maybe at 6 mos will try the jack. I fogey who on this thread said it but agree that I wanted the sleeve to be able to eat and drink in moderation. I didn't do it to deny myself of everything I enjoy as that's why I could never stick to a diet!

I was told by my Dietitian that while losing weight rapidly your liver is working harder. So when you drink during rapid weight loss you are giving you liver something else to process so it isn't ideal. Which is the primary reason they say no alcohol for a full year, since that is when you are losing the most rapidly.

Just a helpful tip to think about.

I'm a newbie, and my surgeon also recommends obstaining from alcohol for a year, mostly due to carb. intake=cravings and slows weight loss. (Same for complex carbs. like Pasta, crackers Nut. said from MY HISTORY with weight gain and loss-carbs create overwhelming cravings for more. Although a lot of the stomach that produces the harmone is removed, the rest of the stomach could still, for SOME PEOPLE, create carb. cravings!) once I'm down in the 100's again, I may revisit this recommendation. (I could do a few sips if a good, ice cold vodka, if I HAD to-lol!)