Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My doc said alcohol is ok just beware of the liquid calories and stronger effects. As for carbonation, he said that since the sleeve is still relatively new, we don't know what the long term effects are. Maybe stretching, maybe something else, we just don't know.

I get post inebriated anxiety after even a few sips these days, but the carbonation in beer most likely will not stretch your sleeve, only make you uncomfortable. It is banders who have to worry more about carbonation so I was told. But I'm not recommending or anything just do what you like with your body and live with it :) maybe a sip of someone else's beer rather than buying a whole one?!

I like wine but for some weird reason I can drink beer now' date=' no problem at all[/quote']

Don't you worry about the carbonation?

If that's the case I will just find an alternative to get me drunk. Just kidding' date=' lol[/quote']

Dear skyjack

I too am a beer drinker and don't know if I can give it up totally. (Not sleeved yet). If it were to do over would you get the surgery done?

Reward yourself use it as a goal reward.

I have not been sleeved yet. I do intend on having a drink once surgery is done and I'm healed. I heard a story were someone that got sleeved is now suing because he became an alcoholic. Didn't realize the effects and is now addicted to it. I thought that was crazy!

I have not been sleeved yet. I do intend on having a drink once surgery is done and I'm healed. I heard a story were someone that got sleeved is now suing because he became an alcoholic. Didn't realize the effects and is now addicted to it. I thought that was crazy!

He need money to buy his booze. All kidding aside-many people are just looking for a free ride. Wonder why he didn't sue McDonalds for making him fat in the first place?

He need money to buy his booze. All kidding aside-many people are just looking for a free ride. Wonder why he didn't sue McDonalds for making him fat in the first place?

I'm not surprised, he better not win!

I drank alcohol for the first time last weekend (I was sleeved 6/13) and it was great, I had 6 vodka & diet cranberry drinks. I thought for sure I'd be drunk after the first one.

At 6 months I had 1/2 a glass of champagne and it made me pretty flipping tipsy!! But.... It was my first drink in 6 years, so that might have been a reason too!

I made sure to take tiny sips and roll it on the tounge a bit to get the carbonation out.

My advice- follow your doctors advice... Whatever plan that may be!

The reason post surgery it is generally I inadvisable to drink is because alcohol thins the blood which can have a damaging effect on internal stitches and staples which take up to six weeks to heal.

After this' date=' there is no risks in drinking alcohol beyond what risks alcohol generally poses to everyone.

My surgeon and my NUT recommended the occasional red wine as part of a normal and healthy diet. I have enjoyed an occasional wine since I was six weeks out. I continue to lose weight.

A glass of red wine takes 8 minutes moderate jogging to burn off.[/quote']

Thins the blood? Your rationale is not accurate. .

Care to expound upon your response? Alcohol does thin the blood, so I'm not sure where the inaccuracy lies.

At 6 weeks the staple line is typically considered healed, so it does seem to make some sense to me.

Care to expound upon your response? Alcohol does thin the blood' date=' so I'm not sure where the inaccuracy lies.

At 6 weeks the staple line is typically considered healed, so it does seem to make some sense to me.[/quote']

I LOVE you LOL

I would say the onus is on you to disprove my assertion. It is common knowledge that alcohol is a blood thinner and remains one of the major reasons why those at risk of heart attack, stroke or are on warfarin are strongly encouraged not to drink alcohol.

If you have evidence to disprove this please do share rather than making a drive by random comment.

I would say the onus is on you to disprove my assertion. It is common knowledge that alcohol is a blood thinner and remains one of the major reasons why those at risk of heart attack' date=' stroke or are on warfarin are strongly encouraged not to drink alcohol.

If you have evidence to disprove this please do share rather than making a drive by random comment.[/quote']

If you are trying to say that it decreases the ability of the body to produce the normal clotting mechanism that is quite different then saying 'thin ' blood