Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good Afternoon everyone,

i had my sleeve done on April 27th. I started at 245 and now am down to 192 (53 lbs down)

i have had two really bad "episodes" and really cannot diagnose what they are from. The first time i had one i knew i over ate, the 2nd time i had one i didnt over eat. But the feeling is a AWFUL pressure in my chest (or at least if feels like thats where it is) i have talked to people and am told its the acid, but when i have these episodes it starts mild and builds to be unbarable- then i vomit and i seem to be back to normal. I know the bypass has "dumping" but from what i know the sleeve doesnt, has anyone else ever felt this???

Also i seem to do okay with habits and maintaining a healthy lifestyle of eating, except when that time of the month hits- then i feel like i am always hungry. for the ladies on here please tell me what you do to get past this time...

lastly i have not been working out since surgery- yes i know I should and i plan on getting on track to work out but for those of you that have had the surgery awhile ago can you tell me how the whole working out effects the long term results?? (besides the sagginess) :)

thanks for any feedback you all can provide!

That awful feeling probably IS acid. Are you taking an acid reducer? If not, you should definitely talk to your doctor about getting one.

When I have what I call "hungry days", I usually buy a bag of beef Jerky and nibble on that. I also save my once a month serving of cheetos for that particular day. I'll admit I still have a love affair with chocolate, but I'm much better about it now. :)

I've been working out since surgery, starting very small and working my way up to my current routine (6 days a week, 5 days of cardio, 6 days of weights). I attribute the fact that I have muscle and definition to working out and it's definitely helping with the skin. I'll still have some saggy skin, no matter what, unless I have plastics, but it could be MUCH worse than it is right now. You should know that working out (for me) seems to slow down the weight loss on the scale, but boy does it pay BIG benefits in losing sizes, in flexibility, and in ability to move and work during my long days!!! :)

I've personally felt things puke that when I over eat. Sadly I do sometimes. Usually when I'm starving and am just eating too fast. I also feel like crap if I don't chew enough. Esp meat. Maybe you ate something new and your tummy was mad? Lol.

As for the time of the month stuff, I've been giving in a little. Not over doing but a taste or two has been satisfying. But I make sure I eat a Protein first or with it. So say I'm going to eat Chex Mix, I will eat a string cheese with it. If you want something sweet, try to at least do sugar free. Eat it slow and enjoy it!

Now I don't exercise either. Oh btw, I'll be 4 months out tomorrow. Personally it is because I have a knee injury and pretty much can't. (Knee surgery booked for Oct 8th! Eek!). I too know that my weight loss would prob be more if I were exerciseing but it is what it is. As long as the scale is moving, I'm happy. It's slowed but I'm thinking it will probably slow more and that may be around when I can bring in the work outs. Hopefully will kick start my body at that point.

But the bottom line you are doing AMAZING! Congrats!

I had an "episode" like this pre-sleeve... I've had two since, but not as intense. The one I had two months pre-op was the worst thing I've ever experienced. I had the pressure in my chest and quickened heart beat. I couldn't breathe. Pain was radiating out from my chest around to my back. I slept maybe one hour that night. When I woke up I felt a burning in my throat, which made me think it was reflux. I never threw up but I felt like I had to and tried to force it.

I went to my PCP the next day and she referred me to a gastroenterologist. He thought it could have been hiatal hernia, gallbladder or an ulcer. An ultrasound and endoscopy later they told me it was nothing!!!

I didn't have another "episode" for 3 1/2 months, when I was 6 weeks post-op. It wasn't quite as bad and didn't last nearly as long. I hadn't had too much of a problem with reflux or getting sick from overeating. The only thing I could figure was some spicy cheese I had eaten but I had had it before with no issue.

It's frustrating, I understand. I wish I had an answer for you... but at least it's good to know you're not alone! And, yes, do take something to control the acid.

Weight and strength training protects your weight loss. My entire family had this surgery. The ones who didn't work out with weights didn't lose as much weight because they didn't have enough muscle mass to continue to burn weight. The dr couldn't stress enough that weight and resistance training was far more critical than cardio in the long run.

Omg I remember back in 2010 after i had my son (c.section) I had an episode every day for a couple weeks where I would feel some sort of pressuring kinda even a burning sensation that would start in my upper back the kinda to my upper stomach.. it would gradually get worse then I would throw up and viola back to normal...totally stumped me and my Dr said it could be due to the cold weather and the epidural..i never found out what it was but it felt horrible. Hope you feel better soon

Sent from my ADR6400L using VST

Thank you everyone! Yeah it seems everyone agrees its the acid. But i never thought acid could hurt sooooo bad... I did take acid reducers but have been trying to slowly stop per my surgeons req. so now i only take them if needed..

Im wondering if anyone is hungry a few hours after eating? I think I eat too fast and get full quickly. I am not sure how to slow it down. Usually by the time I eat, I'm running on empty.