Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1St Consultation - My Experience

I just had my first consultation this last Friday! I was so anxious and excited I could barely sleep the night before but the actual appointment was very basic, not at all what I had worked up in my head :). I met with the surgeon’s physician assistant and filled out a lot of paperwork and discussed how the surgery was performed, length of time in the hospital (2 - 3 days), nutrition, she asked me some questions about my obesity history and current health problems, I took a short quiz and she also asked me why I wanted the surgery. After about 20 to 30 minutes she sent me to talk to the lady who deal with insurance and they sat me down and told me the requirements of my insurance. I have California Anthem Blue Cross Medi-Cal so my personal insurance requirements were to get primary doc’s approval, a tsh test, see a nutritionist and a psychiatrist and get them to state I was fit for surgery. Most insurance also want a 6 month doctor supervised diet although that was not the case with mine. As soon as I got out of the appointment to the car, I made my nutritionist and psychiatrist appointment. I just finished them both yesterday and I feel so relieved!!

Do you know your surgery date yet?

I actually dont :(. I called my surgeon's office to ask if they received all my paper work and they had except my Dr. wants to do an EKG before he will sign off on the surgery. Im super disapointed the Dr. didnt let me know this was a requirment on his part sooner. Im just glad I keep on top of it all by calling and checking in or I might have not known for months. They squeezed me in today at noon so I can get it done! I am really hoping they get my info over to the surgeon this evening so they can submit my request for surgery!

Oh no! I went through the same thing with having to keep on my doctors office. It was very frustrating. Good luck today and I hope you get your surgery date soon!!! :-)

Thank you Tamantha!! How has your journey been? It says in your profile you had surgery at the end of july?

I had surgery on 7/27. I had the lap band since 2002, so I was revised to the sleeve. My journey has been pretty smooth! I think having experience with the band help me with handling the sleeve. It is so important to eat slow and chew a lot. I find that if I have no distractions it is easier to concentrate and to make sure I'm not mindless eating. I have been weighing myself every morning, which I don't recommend :-) it drives you insane :-). Let me know if you have any questions, I would be happy to help if I can!

That great its been going smoothly! I really appreciate the advice and definitely will ask as questions arise! Thanks!

I know you are excited!!!! It wont be long till you will be beginning a new journey! Congrats cant wait to hear your updates. (I will be sleeved next Tuesday. I am in the middle of my pre-op diet)

Good for you Losing it in Lima!! I Will hopefully be starting the pre op diet soon also. I hear it can get a little rough but hang in there! Lets keep in contact so I can follow your progress :)