Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having Surgery Sept 5.. Having The Last Supper Syndrome.. Help!

My dr gave me a preop diet and I really haven't followed it and now I'm getting worried after reading all the posts! Am I not ready? I thought I was! Also I googled my surgeon and she has a patient who gave a bad review recently but she came highly recommended! Dr Valerie Halpin?!? Anybody have experience with her?

Why haven't you followed the pre-op diet? You are starting a major change in your life and should be following your doctor's orders. The pre-op diet shrinks your fatty liver in order for the doctor to lift it during surgery. You need to get on that diet right away! From your comments, you sound like you aren't ready for this surgery. I'd get some professional advice and make sure you are up for this.

I, too, put myself through many "food funerals" before surgery. I very honesty felt like after the surgery I would never be able to eat "normal" food again. I know now, of course, that isn't the case. But at the time I didn't have the same perspective I have now.

My pre-op diet was only 10 days. And I did cheat a few times. But the fear of messing up the surgery was enough to keep me on track most of the time.

I know now that I have a huge emotional relationship with food. I turned to food when I was happy, sad, bored, watching TV, at work, driving... The list goes on and on. Food was my best friend. Food replaced sex in my marriage.

I say all of that to say this. Breaking unhealthy habits is SO hard to do. Don't beat yourself up. Reach out to your surgeons office, to a therapist. Make sure that you're not putting yourself in undue danger by going forward with surgery when you haven't followed the pre-op diet. That's the most important thing here. Then, focus on being kind to yourself. Eating according to your doctor's plan is the nicest thing you can do for yourself.

I'm being sleeved on the same day. We will be sleeve buddy's. My Dr. didn't put me on a pre liquid diet just nothing to eat after 12pm the day before and I have to buy Citrate of Magnesia and take it in the late afternoon. I did have a little farewell to food on this past Monday. The co-workers (that know) took me to lunch at a chinese buffet. I have been doing so well on my pre-op diet that I couldn't do to much damage. I had shrimp and chicken no rice or noodles. It killed me not to get the sushi. Even still I stayed in my calorie range and still felt like crap after. I felt ever grain of salt in my body and I was up 1lb the next day. It was a real downer to know that even a little can make you gain. It did feel better that I'm down 4lbs today after drinking Water and eating extra good for the past couple of days.

Anyway try not to do to much damge. I know what your going through I keep saying I need to have this, this weekend because I will never be able to again. In my heart I know it's not true but my head is a different story. I know this will always be a fight and it is not going to be easy but I'm ready and I know you are since your scheduled so try not to do to much.

Good luck

I'm having surgery the same day as well and I have been struggling a bit. But you know what has smacked me back into reality and following the plan? Many have to do a pre-op diet WAY worse than me (liquids only, much longer, etc)...so I need to suck it up and do this pre-op diet. Period.

I'm curious, did you have any type of program to follow prior to surgery? (Meetings with the surgeon, nutritionist visit, health psychiatrist, etc?)

Thank you all so much for your feedback!! I did talk to my nutritionist today and she said as long as I started today I should be fine... My preop class is the day before my surgery so I think that I was missing some much needed info which she forwarded to me... I also found out that dr Halpin is a very well respected surgeon that does difficult patients that other surgeons wont touch.. So I feel better about that since I am a healthy fat! Ha... I do think I am ready but I am mad that I wasn't better informed of the importance of the preop diet.. Please everyone keep in touch especially my fellow September 5 sleevers! I need your support!

At the hospital you'll be at...they'll give you a couple of choices for the Protein Drink the day after the surgery. I reccomend the carmel flavor. None of them are that good, and you'll only be taking a few sips of it anyways....but the carmel tasted the "best" out of them.....at least thats what I thought.

Honestly I didn't follow the pre op diet either. I did only the 2 day diet before my surgery. I didn't experience any difficulties. Today I'm 7 days post op and 15 pounds down ;)