Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I would love to hear if other people are experiencing what I am currently going through. I was sleeved 8 weeks ago and of about 3 weeks ago I keep having really bad hunger pains. Its really annoying because I feel like Im starving even worse than before the Sleeve. Im not sure what could be causing the hunger and Im getting really frustrated. I was thinking if this could be gas or actual hunger?

I experience the same thing. I thought my hunger would go away more or less after the surgery, judging from what I've read on this forum. But I find if I make myself burp a lot, it goes away somewhat. Sometimes if I drink a lot of Water it gets better.

I don't really know why it happens or what causes it. It's a bit of a disappointment.

I understand exactly how you feel. Being hungry all the time is what got me here in the first place so I had hoped the hunger would calm down afte the sleeve. I spend all day burping so I thought it might have something to do with the pains I have. I am going to start taking some gas x today and see if that helps.

I am only two weeks out but I thought I would share my hunger feelings. Sometimes I feel hungry, really hungry, like I could eat like I used to, hunger pains like I used to have too. But when I eat something, I can only eat about 1/8 cup and then I am full. My sleeve is no longer empty but the hunger remains. For me, I know it is head hunger, and I am working through it. It is getting better, but it is a long process. Good luck to you two.

I am only one week out from my surgery and am having the same issue. I would be intrested to know if its true hunger pains or my stomach adjusting to its new smaller size. I have my one week follow up tomorrow and plan on asking my Doctor about them. Once I take a couple tiny bites the pain goes away.

Stay Strong everyone

I get it too.

I thought (after reading what everyone else said) that I would have no more hunger. Well, my hunger has NOT changed; I still get hungry all the time. It seems perfectly reasonable, because my sleeve cannot store a huge amount of food the way my stomach used to; so now I get hungry and need to eat every 3-4 hours.

The difference is that now it only takes a couple of ounces to fill me up and get me away from the table.

Everyone says their acid reflux felt just like hunger after surgery. I've read that over and over on these forums. So if your hungry and you don't think you should be, try an antacid. I've also been fooled a couple of times by thirst. It happens if I haven't had enough Water. I think I'm hungry even though I just ate.

Another tip, I'm a milk lover. I used to drink a gallon every 3 or 4 days. Now 1 sip completely fills me up, like I just ate the Thanksgiving turkey. Of course, that could also be acid reflux. Milk calms heartburn, at least for me.

Everyone says their acid reflux felt just like hunger after surgery. I've read that over and over on these forums. So if your hungry and you don't think you should be, try an antacid. I've also been fooled a couple of times by thirst. It happens if I haven't had enough Water. I think I'm hungry even though I just ate.

Really? I've never heard of this yet. I don't have reflux often, but when I do, it feels NOTHING like hunger. Neither does thirst (that isn't even controlled by the digestive system). But everyone is different!

Really? I've never heard of this yet. I don't have reflux often' date=' but when I do, it feels NOTHING like hunger. Neither does thirst (that isn't even controlled by the digestive system). But everyone is different![/quote']

Personally I'm not sure, but I've read it many times here by people who are immediately post op. You say your reflux doesn't feel like hunger, but how do you know? Like I said, they say it can feel completely different after the surgery, it fools you. I've had very little acid reflux or hunger so I don't know for sure.

Try this, if you get hungry when you kow you shouldn't be, say half hour after eating, try a tums. See if the hunger goes away. Maybe it's all BS. I did it once and it worked, but that's hardly scientific proof.

As for the thirst, you're right...2 different things. But what I was referring to is more like head hunger than real hunger. Your mind is playing a trick on you, making you feel hungry when you're not. Again, this can be different for everyone. But I've read about this phenomenon before and it's not unique to WLS patients.

You say your reflux doesn't feel like hunger, but how do you know? Like I said, they say it can feel completely different after the surgery, it fools you. I've had very little acid reflux or hunger so I don't know for sure.

How do I know that my reflux doesn't feel like hunger?

This question is perplexing because TO ME, it's like comparing night and day.

Because they feel completely different. Reflux feels like caustic acid in my esophagus. Hunger feels like and empty stomach wanting food. There's zero ambiguity.

Apples to oranges.

thank you everyone for your posts. I dont think its either thirst or acid. I was having really bad acid problems since week 3 and the doctor prescribed nexium which has worked wonders. I am pretty sure that its hunger because I only start to feel hungry once I drink Water. I feel really after a meal and wait at least 1 hour to drink my water because I know that as soon I start drinking and the food washes down I will be starving. I drink as much as I can to try and curb the feeling but nothing works. the last think I can think of is gas so i am trying the gas-x and will see if that helps.

The whole concept perplexes me too. I've only read about it.

I mainly eat when it's time, not when I'm hungry. I don't get that empty stomach wanting food sensation very often. But from what I've read, you can get that sensation when it's not time to eat. In other words, you know you ate recently. That's the reflux.

Maybe it's just Internet folklore.

thank you everyone for your posts. I dont think its either thirst or acid. I was having really bad acid problems since week 3 and the doctor prescribed nexium which has worked wonders. I am pretty sure that its hunger because I only start to feel hungry once I drink Water. I feel really after a meal and wait at least 1 hour to drink my Water because I know that as soon I start drinking and the food washes down I will be starving. I drink as much as I can to try and curb the feeling but nothing works. the last think I can think of is gas so i am trying the gas-x and will see if that helps.

What kinds of things are you eating. Your timeline sounds a lot like mine. Around 6 weeks out I could suddenly eat anything and everything. I didn't necessarily want it, but I could eat it. Your sleeve is healing and your capacity is increasing. It's important to eat Protein heavy foods at this point. Stay away from the starches if you're not because they will definitely make you hungry sooner.

I'm starving as well. My surgery was on 8/21. I'm hoping that once I can start on full liquids it will get better. I have my follow up appt. with my doc tomorrow. I did find that eating SF popsicles helps for some reason. Maybe the fact that I get to chew them up tricks my brain, but I feel more satisfied after one of those. I was having panic attacks about this yesterday. I got fat because I always felt hungry, and am terrified that that feeling won't go away!

I'm starving as well. My surgery was on 8/21. I'm hoping that once I can start on full liquids it will get better. I have my follow up appt. with my doc tomorrow. I did find that eating SF popsicles helps for some reason. Maybe the fact that I get to chew them up tricks my brain, but I feel more satisfied after one of those. I was having panic attacks about this yesterday. I got fat because I always felt hungry, and am terrified that that feeling won't go away!

Being so freshly out of surgery, you may very well just be experiencing head hunger. It's mighty powerful and it's very hard to distinguish from the real deal. But as soon as you start eating food again, the difference becomes very apparent. Because you will be full after 1 bite, but still want to eat more. Soon after I started on real foods, the head hunger completely disappeared. Now I'm rarely hungry, I just eat when it's time.