Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I Ever Be Able To Chug Water Again?

Have an insatiable desire to chug Water. I am 3 weeks out. Can anyone tell me

If I will be able to chug liquids ever again?

I'm six weeks out tommorow and wish I could chug as well. I seem to always be thirsty, but just can't get the fluids down real well. I only average around 40 oz per day, not sure how others hit 64 ounces.

I'm 7 weeks out and really can't chug in great quantity. Little chugs LOL

If there's one recurring theme on these forums, it's that everyone is so different post-op. I am 3 weeks post-op exactly and I can take significantly larger gulps. 2 weeks ago, I remember feeling how you feel-- it was frustrating! I just wanted to be not so damn thirsty anymore lol. The gulps I can take now aren't 'chugs', but it's enough to satiate that icky thirst drive.

Be careful though. One girl in my support group was chugging her fluids because she felt 'fine' at 2 weeks post-op and she ended up with a leak.

Best of luck!

Over 1/2 years hear and while I can't chug like I used to I can drink a good amount pretty fast - I used to chug 1 to 1 1.2 liters in a few minutes. PART of the reason is that I don't sweat so much so there isn't the desperite need to rehydrate rapidly. I can drink 1 liter in half an hour now with a good chug at first and fairly rapid drinking of the rest.

desire to chug Water

TiredOfChubRub

from my hospital days, never had any trouble keeping my Water down

my NUT told me at about 6 weeks, i could "slowly" chug my water, conflict in terms? ;)

my problem was getting in my 64 oz , now i get in 80 oz or more

some time back i started drinking from a 20 oz btle - now i drink 2 btls am - and 2 pm - for me it works

good luck newbie :)

I LOVE WATER! I wanted to chug it also. However, it took a good 5 months before I could really drink Water in that sort of fashion.

Hang in there. It will happen, it will just take some time.

2 months out and I can gulp a good amount.

Sent from my iPad using VST

I'm 5 weeks post op today, and I can tell you from my experience, it is a whole lot better today than it was 3 weeks ago. Hell It's better than last week. I've started working out since last Monday, I get very thirsty so I take a good size gulp just to have it in my mouth and then just swallow slowly. Usually like to swallows and its down. But it really seems to quench my thirst. Good luck- it gets better and easier!!

I am more then a year out now, and while I cant "chug" Water I can drink about 4-6 ounces at a time now as long as my tummy is empty. It gets easier to get used to as you go :)

Yes! Not for a few months though. I drink as I did preop :-)

I am getting down fluids easier everyday!! I am one month out...I was struggling so much my first 2 weeks even getting 20oz down, now I am up to about 70oz!!

I must be an odd ball. My first 3 days i did have problems drinking. But now, at only 8 days out, I

have no problems drinking. I can't chug, but i never was a chugger; I can take decent sips. I'm trying to be very careful because I don't want to overload my new sleeve!! I kinda wish that I did feel uncomfortable. I'm supposed to take an hour to drink my 11oz Protein Shake. Last night I was watching TV and drinking my shake. To my horror, I drank it in 10 minutes. I wasn't drinking mindfully. I was so disapointed in myself and worried that I hurt my tender sleeve. I had no ill effects from it though.

Hi! Like all of the above comments, everyone has a slightly different experience. I could only take tiny sips for the first two weeks. Then Regular sips. I'm at 4 1// weeks Out now and I can take one gulp (not chugging yet for sure) followed by regular sips without problems. Also, can drink 16 oz in 1 hr while walkin on treadmill with no problems (walking seems to make the liquids go down easier).

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using VST