Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Does Slider Food Mean?

This term was not used in my classes.

A slider is a food that you can eat with no restriction...

what i don't get about slider food, is our stomachs can only hold so much food - we digest food normally - so why is it called a slider food? it doesn't just slide through, it still has to be digested, right? i thought slider foods were for people who have the lap band.....

Because I get over technical, I'm still not quite sure what a slider food is. And really, the patients of these procedures largely make this up as they go. So it's just some word someone threw out to mean something at some point in time, that has probably been grossly bastardized since then. :)

I've seen some people say that chips are a slider, or watermelon. Well, both chips and watermelon chew up to almost nothing. So in terms of raw volume, there's a lot. But in terms of the volume it takes up in your sleeve, there's not much at all. To me, that would NOT be a slider because it's not "bypassing" your restriction, you just have to eat a large raw volume of it to occupy the same space as something that did not mash up so much. That rationale seems kind of like saying "cotton candy is a slider because I could eat a whole tub" (even though the melted volume was maybe 1 tablespoon).

To me, a slider would be something that retained most of its volume, but did not trigger your full sensation, or restriction, or whatever. Like let's say -- eggs. If I could eat 3 eggs, but only 1 piece of beef, I'd probably consider eggs a slider food.< /p>

I don't know if my (personal) distinction above will help or not. But there are some foods we can eat that have the potential to trigger the opening of our pyloric valves quicker than others. E.g. very wet foods, compared to very dry foods. Very wet foods can read as "ready to move on down" to our stomachs even if they haven't spent that much time in there. That's part of why we're advised not to drink during meals. The Water can wetten the food and our bodies can perceive it as more ground up by the stomach than it actually is. The food and cause the pyloric valve to open prematurely, which can lead to dumping.

This is all slight chance kind of stuff, though. Far, far from a guarantee.

what i don't get about slider food, is our stomachs can only hold so much food - we digest food normally - so why is it called a slider food? it doesn't just slide through, it still has to be digested, right? i thought slider foods were for people who have the lap band.....

That makes sense to me. If it go

That makes sense to me. If it goes right through it would sort of be unable to be absorbed by the body right?

That makes sense to me. If it goes right through it would sort of be unable to be absorbed by the body right?

Sooo by your logic, ice cream, beer, wine, other liquors and consumables of similar consistency and lack of nutritional value have no effect on our weight?

I'm breakin' out tbe Ben and Jerrys!

A slider is something that passes quickly through the stomach (notice I didn't say body) and basically goes straight to the intestine where it passes (slowly) through and is absorbed by the body.

Well, at least you didn't make me feel stupid.

I apologize if I did, I was just trying to provide some logic and point out a side of your logic that you may not have thought of.

I wouldn't worry about it, some people would rather feel justified than actually apologize to someone for being a jerk.

I apologize if I did, I was just trying to provide some logic and point out a side of your logic that you may not have thought of.

I wouldn't worry about it, some people would rather feel justified than actually apologize to someone for being a jerk.

*ahem* I did apologize, thank you very much

so therefore - there is really no such thing as 'slider food' because all food has to be absorbed and processed....which makes sense to me. I remember when I was on the lap band boards they went on and on about slider foods and I thought it meant it was more easy to slide down then getting stuck by the band.

Sooo, by your logic it's okay to be a jerk as long as you apologize for it.

I'm just trying to provide some logic and point out a side of your logic that you may not have thought of.

Sorry for calling you a jerk, jerk, but you were being a jerk.

*ahem* I did apologize, thank you very much

Sooo, by your logic it's okay to be a jerk as long as you apologize for it.

I'm just trying to provide some logic and point out a side of your logic that you may not have thought of.

Sorry for calling you a jerk, jerk, but you were being a jerk.

I wasn't justifying being a "jerk" as you're justifying your behavior, I was simply pointing out the error in your statement. I apologized, if it wasn't to your liking I really don't give a fat rats a$$. I also don't care if you call me a jerk, because I don't know you and will never meet you so your opinion of me doesn't matter to me. So continue to call childish names all you want, my part of this conversation is over.