Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Salads Again?

I am pre-op and wondering how long post-op will it be before I can have a salad again? I have read quite a few stories of people not tolerating lettuce and raw veggies too well post-op. How many months out is reasonable/safe?

My Surgeon tells me 4 months post-op for salad or any raw vegetables. It's always what you can't have that you crave! I want a salad and I am only 2.5 months post-op. I watched my co-workers eat a greek salad and I wanted it so bad.

Isn't that the truth! I will try to remember to keep it all in perspective and know that ONE day I will be able to enjoy it again.

For me... I'm 7 weeks post op. And I just had salad for lunch. I've always preferred spinach salad for the nutritional value and I find that its easier to take in than iceberg. Plus I'm learning to take smaller bites. I even had cucumbers in it. Yesterday I went out to eat, I got crabmeat/shrimp spinach salad from a place from Salata with fat free mango dressing. Well I only was able to eat a quarter of it and today I had it for lunch and the rest I had to throw away. Can't do leftovers twice :)

It really depends on the person and what your surgeon recommends. My surgeon cleard me to eat all foods at week 6.

Alas, a salad just doesn't have enough Protein (unless you load it with egg or cheese) to make it a lunch replacement for me. Suggestions anyone?

That's crazy. I ate a salad two weeks post op and I had no issues at all. In fact, the lettuce went down easier than other foods for me. Everyone is different. I've noticed that I haven't had half of the issues others have had on this forum. Hence of why I've had no food restrictions since Day 8 post op :D !

@LBM - You are right about not having enough Protein and adding cheese and egg. But I also selected shrimp and crabmeat. For me I make sure to get at least 35gm of protein (with shake) during Breakfast. Then between two Snacks and dinner I'm getting in at least 25gms. so it doesn't hurt to have spinach salad for lunch you will at least get in 10gm. like I said if you add shrimp/chicken/tuna etc and eggs. what works for me is getting that protein in my shake in the morning. The rest I do through regular meals.

I believe I was able to eat salad at 8 weeks post-op. I have had no issues whatsoever, I usually get some form of grilled chicken (cut up very small) to adequately provide the required Protein. I make sure to include some lettuce or Tomato in the bites with the chicken to make it moist enough.

when IrishEyes are smilin'........... ;)

At about 8 weeks i made my first salad - w/the spinich/green leaves - cut an egg up into quarters, some shredded cheese - yum yum, now I put a bunch of weighed out teeny pieces of chicken in the salad for Protein, a couple of walnuts too - i use the no calorie vigignorette dressing (OMG, really spelled that wrong!)

i had a Wendy's salad a couple of times - and my salad is basically an imitation of a good thing

The lettuce makes me full pretty soon, and with all the other stuff, i usually eat 1/2 what i make, the other 1/2 as dinner - can never judge properly to make the correct size.

guess thats why i measure my quantities all the time (well..there can be exceptions) cuz i'm not good at guesstimating, if i don't measure - it doesn't really kill me, cuz i "usually" know when to stop

When they took the 85% of my stomach out, they put a 1/3 measuring cup in my new sleeve :lol:

I had a spinach salad today for lunch at a restraunt, it had bacon and feta and egg so got my Protein too, ate way more than I thought I could... I'm 10weeks out. I eat out all the time, if I have to stop at McDonalds with kids I get the Greek chicken wrap and eat the inside and throw away the tortilla, I've had prime rib mind u only couple bites, shrimp, stuffed mushrooms, Soups, many things u can order when your out.