Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,

I am thinking about getting sleeved.my questions are what kinda meds do they use to manage pain(scared of pain)? What if you have other meds u gotta take pill form? I am thinking Dr Garcia or Dr Lopez any feedback would be appreciated. I am feeling a bit like a failure cuz I seem to lack the seld discipline to lose weight with diet and exercise and I am wondering will I have enough to follow up with the directions pre and post op? I know I am an emotional, boredom and head hunger type? Have a good day

Hi There,

I used Dr. Aceves July 2011- while in the hospital I initially got IV pain medication, shots and then liguid tylenol. I was up walking 3 hours after surgery and really had minimal pain (compared to my c-section). I crushed all my pills the first couple of weeks in liquid..it was so gross, After that I swallowed them just fine. I think I could have earlier, but was afraid. I am at goal now having lost over 100lbs. I am truly a food addict, so for me the head hunger has been the hardest. Wanting to eat when I am bored, happy, sad whenever! Using the sleeve correctly really prevents you from over eating, however as I am sure you've read and heard about--if you get in the bad habit of eating slider food then I can see where me or anyone could easily gain the weight back. Good luck with your decision. It has been one of the very best decision of my life!! Cathi

I also went to Dr. Aceves, who gave pain meds through the IV and then gave sublingual Toradol. I had minimal pain, and no nausea or vomiting, which was great because I would hate to vomit after stomach surgery. Mostly I slept the first two days. Before surgery, I never felt full until I was "Thanksgiving full," ate for emotional reasons, and loved sweets. Now, food is fuel and I hardly think about it, there are more interesting things to do with my time now that I am thin.

I am hypothyroid so I took my tiny pill right after surgery and it was fine. You might ask your doctor if there is an alternate form of your medication if the pill is bigger than a baby aspirin, or crush it, like the previous poster recommended.

We all lacked the "discipline" to lose weight and keep it off just using will power, but after surgery it's much easier to comply with the food guidelines. I don't know how, but something got switched off in my brain so that sweets aren't calling me and I am truly satisfied with a little bit of food. It helps a lot that I don't feel hunger anymore and have to eat by the clock. So different than before surgery!

I was sleeved by Dr. Garcia on 8/2/12 (my 40th b-day) and my whole experience was positive. They give you pain meds in your IV every few hours, but I did have pain following surgery, but that is very typical for me as my BP drops and can't really get up and walk. I did walk the next morning and was just fine....at least 80% better then the day of surgery. After you are released they send you home w/ an antibiotic and a pain pill, but I only used the pain pill for a day or two after leaving the hospital. I think I used the pain pill once, once discharged from the hotel. I am just over 3 weeks out, have lost almost 20 lbs and I even went on a 4 mile walk/job tonight. I've had many surgeries and this was one of the easiest. Good luck to you!!

That's great!! Glad you're doing great...I'm scheduled for Oct 10th with Dr Garcia but I'm feeling scared and confused I guess just praying I've made the right choice in docs

Sent from my ADR6400L using VST

You made a great decison w/ Dr. Garcia...his coordinators are wonderful and you will be treated like royalty. The hospital is very modern and clean and has an ICU. The "walking the halls" though is very short...I think there is just 10 rooms. My husband and I drove from TX to TJ and back again...week took about two weeks for the whole trip, so if I can survive that long long drive w/ no complications...that's pretty good. If you have more questions, I'd be happy to answer them....just message me!

Thank you sleeved I appreciate your respond it does make me feel better how have you been feeling since you've home? And what are you doing about after care? I can't msg for some reason:(

Sent from my ADR6400L using VST

You made a great decison w/ Dr. Garcia...his coordinators are wonderful and you will be treated like royalty. The hospital is very modern and clean and has an ICU. The "walking the halls" though is very short...I think there is just 10 rooms. My husband and I drove from TX to TJ and back again...week took about two weeks for the whole trip, so if I can survive that long long drive w/ no complications...that's pretty good. If you have more questions, I'd be happy to answer them....just message me!

Which hospital did you use? Int or Mi hospital? Thanks!

Dr Lopez gives IV meds x2 days then toradol sublingual. I had no pain only soreness.