Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 2 Weeks Out Eating Normal Food

My surgery was on August 14th I can eat anything my family eats just in smaller portions. I just had baked chicken stuffing and red potatoes. I had the amount that my three year old eats about an hour ago and I feel great. Yesterday I ate half of a crab cake with ease and even had some (3) pita chips with hummus and I felt full but no pain. I wonder if I should call my NUT and ask am I'm over doing it or should I continue as I feel great ?

wow thats great my surgery was 0n 8/9/12 and im still on liquids! your dr said to eat normal food! i wish i could

You might want to check with your nutritionist regarding the amount of carbs vs Protein you're consuming.

Best of luck

No I'm a hard head I'm suppose to be on puréed at this point. I have been doing alot of Soups and Protein Shakes but I wanted some nourishment some "real " food so I ate it and I feel great . I do alot of exercise 2 hours on the treadmill broken into two parts 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour in the evening and all is good and my scales are still going down grow 247 to 215.5 this morning :)

I won't sugar coat it, you shouldn't be eating "normal" food two weeks out. If your nutritionist says otherwise find a new one.

Weeks 3-6 in my program are soft and moist, almost all Proteins.

I'm very mindful of carbs my NUT said I need at least 150 every day and I'm sure I'm there. As far as Protein I'm getting in about 50-60 grams everyday. I need to do better with Water it seems like I do better at work with the water becuase I'm sipping all day.

I know I shouldn't but 4 of my friends are also sleeved and they started real food ealier than I and are all doing well , one of which has lost 90 pounds in 6 months :) I feel for my fellow sleevers that are starving :(

Every time you eat something that isn't puréed or mushy this early, you greatly increase your risk of a leak, until weeks 6-8. It's not worth it. Take the food they are eating and purée it. Even that would help prevent a leak. Be careful! Leaks will land you in the hospital for quite some time. I watched someone go through this and it's nothing to mess with.

DES1975 you comment hit home I will start sticking to the diet. No leaks for me and I have no time to be back in the hospital. I'm a little rebel, but it's not worth my health. Thanks for the sound advice!!

At my two week post-op, my NUT said I could start eating more normal food as long as I chewed it very well before swallowing, Protein before carbs. My doc said after three weeks, you're pretty much out of the woods for a leak.

Every doctor and nut gives different instructions and info to their patients. Check with your doctor and nut about what to do - they're the only ones whose opinions matter.

i was still in liquid stage ate 2 weeks out week 3 is when I was told to go to full liquids not even pureed food.< /p>

I followed every week as they told me and still by the time solid food come around I had a very hard time so was told to go back a few weeks and work my way forward again.

Your stomach takes 6-8 weeks (sometimes more) to heal you should follow what you are told to do and don’t go by what other people did or tell you to do, listen to your medical team who have all your notes and know what’s best for you.

It gets boring but in the long run they are telling you to take the stages in order for x amount of time for a really really good reason.

Might be better if you stick to the proper food plan for now! it is important to follow what your NUT says. It might feel great going down, but it is still a lot of work for your new tummy. You are still healing. Your tummy needs you to be gentle to it. Eat things that are easy to digest and will not stress your tummy too much so early on. Good luck!

I wouldn't listen to the nutritionist, I would listen to the surgeon or the research on what surgeons think. You're not trying to avoid nutritional deficiencies, you're trying to avoid post-surgical complications like leaks and strictures.

Post-surgical "early" leaks can occur up to 6 weeks after surgery. That's why many of the programs recommend waiting 4-6 weeks before consuming solid foods.

For more info, check out this post: http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/47390-international-sleeve-gastrectomy-expert-panel-consensus-statement-best-practice-guidelines-based-on-experience-of-12000-cases

100% say to wait at least 2 weeks. 60% say to wait 4-6 weeks. I say advocate for your own health and wait at least 4 weeks. Why risk a leak?

At my two week post-op, my NUT said I could start eating more normal food as long as I chewed it very well before swallowing, Protein before carbs. My doc said after three weeks, you're pretty much out of the woods for a leak.

Every doctor and nut gives different instructions and info to their patients. Check with your doctor and nut about what to do - they're the only ones whose opinions matter.

My Docs plan introduced regular foods at week 3 chewed thoroughly. Congrats on you weight loss! Sounds like you are doing really well. I have always wondered about the variations in food progression from doctor to doctor. Good luck on your journey.