Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleep study?

I am not a nurse or anything, but I believe it is because they need to know if you are at risk to stop breathing during surgery.

I wonder why they do this test? If it diagnoses sleep apnea or not, how does that change your surgery?

Oh boy I could write a book on this!!! They need to know if you stop breathing when you sleep, if you do going under is dangerous. So if you have sleep apnea (which I do) and you stop breathing, they put you on the machine and pump the air in for you. My number is 7...omg blows my bangs back. Sleep apnea can cause weight gain, swollen ankles (got that) and you really don't get the sleep you need! I love my mask, I have been on it for a month now...I can run up two flights of stairs now without getting out of breath..couldn't do that before!! Oh yeah and my doc wouldn't do the surgery if I refused the testing, and I have to be on the cpap mask for 2 weeks..so I am good on that. I read of a woman who had the surgery (check the memorials on ObesityHelp.com) she had her bariatric surgery --they didn't know she had sleep apnea, she stopped breathing and they didn't know---she passed away. What a shocker! Under anesthesia, you are totally relaxed -that is how they put you to sleep--so your unable to breath again as easy as non-sleep-apnea people.

On the flip side, Sleep Apnea is a co-morbidity...so you should be approved for sure!!

My kids call me Scuba Steve when they see me in the mask..its not a whole mask..just a little thing that goes into my nostrils...no biggie really!

Take care, and best wishes to you!!

IMHO... I think if the place is in partnership with the weight loss place... they just do it to get the money. I had NO signs or symptoms and refused to do a study until they refused to approve me for surgery until I did. Talk about duress.

IMHO... I think if the place is in partnership with the weight loss place... they just do it to get the money. I had NO signs or symptoms and refused to do a study until they refused to approve me for surgery until I did. Talk about duress.

I didn't have signs or symptoms either. I was totally shocked! I talked to another doc about it. Its true that its dangerous if untreated. (no you can't die from the sleep apnea itself) I researched it too. I have much more energy now. So glad I went for the study. I hope all goes well for you...take care!:D

I consider finding out I have sleep apnea and getting it treated on of the best NSV of getting banded so far. I feel SOOO much better after about a month on CPAP.

My surgeon required a sleep study for me. For DH is was suggested, not required. He goes by your BMI, neck size for men and if you have any symptoms. Given the implications of problems it can cause if unknown, didn't bother me at all.

I consider finding out I have sleep apnea and getting it treated on of the best NSV of getting banded so far. I feel SOOO much better after about a month on CPAP.

Ditto on that!!!

Anyone thinking its a get rich scheme is totally wrong! Its a live longer scheme! (and my insurance paid for all of it, so as far as trying to soak me for money...nope didn't happen!!)

I agree with the posters above -- I discovered I had severe sleep apnea as part of the pre-op testing. I tried to talk the doctor out of it, as I thought I had no symptoms. But turns out I had it, and am now on CPAP. And sleep apnea is, itself, a cause of obesity. So being on the CPAP can make weight loss easier.

AND -- it's a really serious co-morbidity that got me approved for the surgery very quickly.

Ditto on that!!!

Anyone thinking its a get rich scheme is totally wrong! Its a live longer scheme! (and my insurance paid for all of it, so as far as trying to soak me for money...nope didn't happen!!)

Mine paid too, and I went to a sleep dr. recommended by my PCP, not my surgeon.

I've been on a CPAP for about 5 years. sleep study was a requirement of my insurance and it was covered, but since I was already on a CPAP, I didn't have to have another one for my surgery. Sleep apnea can be a dangerous condition and can lead to a lot of other problems. It is one of the main co morbidities considered for bariatric surgery.

I was on:eek: CPAP:eek: for 9 years:notagree preOp.....and I didn't have to :) prove :rolleyes I had the problem:tired :tired :tired .....

However....POSTop:omg: .....I have been off the nose hose for 10 months now....

YEA :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: LapBand:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :amen: !!!!

Yay Jack...that is what I am looking forward to. I am finding the last few days that apparently I am taking my mask off in my sleep even turning the machine off!!! Yikes not a good thing!! I was better about it in the beginning...lately ...no.

Any doctor/hospital who/which doesn't test a 300-pound-patient* for sleep apnea prior to ANY surgery should, have his/her/its license suspended while he/she/they go take a class on how unnecessary deaths can be prevented.

The test is a ROYAL PITA, but necessary.

Sue

*especially if the patient is apple-shaped...but even with pears.

I had to do the sleep study for the simple reason that my fiance told the doc that I had a slight snore. (I coulda smacked him). My doc told me that sleep apnea puts you at a great risk of not recovering from an infection. I did the test, and I do not have sleep apnea, $600 bucks later....

I have to throw in my two cents. As part of my pre-op testing I was required to have a sleep study. I weigh 230 lbs and don't snore at all. Let me tell you I was SHOCKED when the tech told me I had SEVERE sleep apnea. I had no idea!!!!

I have been on the mask for about 3 weeks now and really do feel a difference! I thought I was just tired before like everyone else...........who isn't tired!!!

I was on:eek: CPAP:eek: for 9 years:notagree preOp.....and I didn't have to :) prove :rolleyes I had the problem:tired :tired :tired .....

However....POSTop:omg: .....I have been off the nose hose for 10 months now....

YEA :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: LapBand:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :amen: !!!!

How did you know when you didn't need the CPAP anymore? I've used one for 4+ years and am curious when I'll know I don't need it anymore.