Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where Can I Get Weighed?

So, my MD office has a scale that goes up to 350lbs. Unfortunately, I'm a little heavier than that.

My NUT had a scale, but it only went up to 300lbs.! And this NUT was in a diabetes center and had some bariatric sized furniture, but their freakin' scale only goes up to 300lbs?! Am I cray or should scales go up higher than this?? Especially at a doctors office - I asked my MD where I could get weighed, and he had no idea where to send me. Why should this be so hard? Being overweight is embarrassing enough, but now I gotta ask around to see how high someone's scale goes before I step on it? Absolutely and unnecessarily ridiculous, if you ask me.

Any suggestions where I might go to get weighed?

I'm complete mortified to have this problem. :(

My obgyn's scale doesn't go that high... Very frustrating but I love the guy! With my last baby I ended up weighing at home before my appointment then letting them know when I got there... That being said my scale goes up to like 650 lbs and we ordered if from xl living... Sucks really... But now after surgery I LOVE my scale!!!

That's just ridiculous! That was my fear going to my old Dr (I hadn't been in a while- since I had gotten over 300lbs again) so I switched Drs to a Dr that was affiliated with the hospital I was having surgery at. I understand your frustration- that was my biggest fear- going there and bein too big for the scale.

Go on Amazon and search for scales- they have scales that hold up to 500+lbs on there. I'm planning to buy a new digital one (My old one only goes to 330)

I was looking at this one- goes to 400, pretty good reviews and resonably priced :)

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Bathroom-Capacity-Sense-On-Technology/dp/B003ATS2QC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1345955267&sr=8-4&keywords=scale+400+lb

I really, really, really don't want to buy a scale. I don't want one in my home... I have never been someone who obsessed over their weight, I don't want to become one. I can completely and honestly say that my weight (the number) doesn't bother me. Whatever it is, it's just a number.

I really just want to get weight for the purpose of having the "starting" number, something to document my dang medical file with. :\

I understand how the number makes people feel better, they like to see the loss - but I'd rather see it in the mirror. The actual number is meaningless to me, I want to be buying smaller clothes and seeing my figure come back and FEELING lighter - that's my goal. I have enough with all the copays and stuff going on financially, I shouldn't have to put an unwanted scale in my home, at my expense, simply because no medical professional I've worked with has a scale that goes high enough for me.

And the thing that really stings for me is that I'm heavy, yes, but not so heavy that I'm immobile or can't fit in most chairs and stuff. What about the people who are bigger than me?? Especially men, who are taller and just as hefty... I just don't think it's fair!

I'll call the waaaaaaahmbulance and stop complaining about this... what I do know, my first NSV goal is to be "skinny" enough to get on that 350lbs max scale! :)

Have you tried the hospital where you will have the surgery?

I haven't been referred to a surgeon yet so idk the hospital I'll be going to. I'm sure I'll get weighed eventually but this is so frustrating!

I know in my local swimming baths there is one that goes up really high when ever we would go on holiday we loaded the car with the cases dragged them in there and said can we just use the scales to weight these 20p a pop checked the baggage weight and left.

I don’t have scales either and don’t intend to get any this whole jumping on the scales everyday or several times a day is not good and not a habit I want to get into.

Both my docs and hospital have many scales more than capable of going to even my highest which was 425.

Maybe there is a gym or some sort of local centre you can go where they have scales big enough to hope on and check maybe fake it with a suitcase then do yourself too.

Good idea with the suitcases. sassypants.... I'm hopefully going with my friend to her gym this week, so maybe they will have a scale there... otherwise I guess I'll just wait til I get to the hospital. I don't want to get into the habit of weighing myself daily, either! I don't think that's a healthy habit - maybe when I'm closer to goal and maintaining I'll want to make sure I don't go back up in weight, but for now, I don't want to be on that thing constantly and obsessing over the number!

I used to work at a doctors office and we also had this problem so we put 2 scales next to each other and had the patient put one foot on each. I'm sure this is not super accurate, but it should give a round about number.

I used to work at a doctors office and we also had this problem so we put 2 scales next to each other and had the patient put one foot on each. I'm sure this is not super accurate, but it should give a round about number.

I'm not sure how well that works either - I know sometimes they can "weigh" me on their scale if I stand just right, somehow I can balance the scale so that I trick it into thinking I weigh like 315. Not sure how that works, but I know it's not right!!

I've at least gotten to the point where the nurse doesn't ask to weight me now. It's pretty embarrassing to have to remind her "That scale doesn't go high enough..." I know she's just doing her job when she asks, so the fact that she actually remembers me and doesn't ask anymore is nice.

Oh! And I went to the PCP today and not being able to weigh me could be a blessing! He said the insurance requires a 3 mo weight loss diet, but since he can't weigh me, he's going to ask the medical group if an exception can be made since I'm obviously in need of the surgery, have comorbids, and have been his patient for 10 years and tried diets in the past the failed.

Wish me luck on that! I know insurance companies aren't very likely to bend the rules, but MAYBE I can be that exception! :)

So, my MD office has a scale that goes up to 350lbs. Unfortunately, I'm a little heavier than that.

My NUT had a scale, but it only went up to 300lbs.! And this NUT was in a diabetes center and had some bariatric sized furniture, but their freakin' scale only goes up to 300lbs?! Am I cray or should scales go up higher than this?? Especially at a doctors office - I asked my MD where I could get weighed, and he had no idea where to send me. Why should this be so hard? Being overweight is embarrassing enough, but now I gotta ask around to see how high someone's scale goes before I step on it? Absolutely and unnecessarily ridiculous, if you ask me.

Any suggestions where I might go to get weighed?

I'm complete mortified to have this problem. :(

Do you have Bed Bath N Beyond store near you? They have a lot of scales that have high limits. You can also get a 20% coupon online for BBNB. I bought a Biggest Loser scale from them and I weigh 380lbs. Good luck

There is a BB&B nearby, but I just don't want a scale in my house. I'm willing to wait, I'm sure the surgeon will have one that's high enough. :)

My local landfill has scales they charge u by the half ton that may be an option for you to check into.

How about going to a store that sells higher limit scales... and trying it out in the store. No need to buy. Test it!