Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gone To Mexico Alone?

Hi everyone,

I've decided to get my sleeve in Mexico and not tell anyone that I'm doing it. My husband knows and is very supportive! Problem is, he can't take any vacation for 9 months and I don't want to wait that long for surgery. I am thinking of going alone. Has anyone done this? Any feedback? I've had 2 c-sections and have healed extremely quickly with both. I'm actually looking forward to the time in the hotel sleeping and resting on my own. Thoughts?

I had my surgery in Mexico and while my mother went with me I would have totally done it by myself.. There were 2 other ladies that had their surgery the same day as me and they were by themselves... Not sure which surgeon you are using or where you are staying but I was in the Marriott in Tijuana and my stay was very comfortable.

Best of Luck!

I went alone. Other than the boredom, I really had no problems being by myself. I met another sleever on these boards and usually had my meals at the hotel with her and her husband. I think if I would have had complications or more pain or wasn't as healthy and as mobile as I was, it would have been harder. I used alighterme and the coordinator I had on site was terrific and the Marriott hotel that they use knows exactly how to help out their bariatric patients!

I went by myself. The facility I went to had no other patients having surgery that day so I was really alone but it did not bother me. I got a lot of attention and was well cared for. I had my surgery at Limarp with Dr. Pompa. Would recommend them for surgery. Just make sure you request a wheelchair at the airport on your way back and you should be fine.

I see that we are roughly from the same area. Any reason why you want to go to Mexico instead of around here? You may want to see if you have any support group meetings in your area. Sometimes talking to someone face to face makes you feel better and not so alone. I'm sure you would find someone that went to Mexico for the procedure. I have met a lot of people that have been great support to me. I have met one person that went to Mexico for the lap-band procedure. Her one advice to me was to stay in the states for surgery. She didn't expand on her explanation and I didn't ask. I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer nor do I have anything against going to Mexico for the surgery. I have heard a lot of successful stories. I'm just wondering why you would want to travel all that way. I hope all goes well for you.

I went to Mexico alone I did not have any issues at all

I went alone about a week ago to dr. Alvarez in Piedras negras and had no issues. I travel for work a lot and am almost always alone so I'm sure that helped.

I will be going alone Thursday and will have surgery Friday. I was lucky that FRZA is having surgery the same day with the same surgeon but I would have gone by myself if I had to.

Natava, the reason many people go to Mexico is because their insurance won't cover wls. Mine doesn't cover it. And to be honest, the surgeon I am going to has more experience with sleeves than the surgeons in my area. Why would I pay them $20,000 when I can go to a more-experienced surgeon for less than half the price?