Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Darned Acid - Anyone Else?

I'm 18 days post op and have been on soft phase since day 14. I've developed horrible acid reflux, even with a daily PPI. Called Dr and got a message back to return to clear liquid phase until he can call an talk to me later tomorrow. I have not vomited or had pain when eating soft foods, other than this ridiculous acid. Have a feeling he's going to send me back on liquids for a bit.

Try chewing on some Tumms.... should provide some relief.. Heartburn is the ONLY issue I have had since my surgery. I also take otc Heartburn meds twice a day.... Good Luck!

Do you use sugar free tums or regular?

Same issue w/me when I started mushy food. Im on Prevacid since post-op. Dr. Said I could take Prevacid in a.m., & Pepcid AC @ nite, & to back up to full liquids. I'm 3 weeks post-op & was told its a common problem while my stomach is still angry, swollen, & developing scar tissue. This solved my problem.

I'm only 3 days post op but can agree the acid reflux is the most painful thing. I can deal with the constant struggle to get my liquids in and the general soreness, but my biggest fear is that this terrible acid will occur with every bite and sip! Its paralyzing! I am trying to be patient, but was in near tears today. :'(

Since I can't swallow pills yet, I'm on a dissolving PPI which has helped a bit but not solved it completely. Please tell me this ges better and the PPI thing isn't another permanent pill I'll have to take for the rest of my life!

never had heartburn before surgery now I have it daily. was on dexilant and now they switched me to nexium. hoping it will get better with time.

Heartburn has been a killer for me. Sep 7 will be 4 mths since my surgery and some days are worse than others. Dexilant is what I was on an it did not help. I am now on nexiam and it seems to be helping a little more. Tums are also my best friend. :) I will take this over being 233 again anyday. Hope all of you find relief soon.

I am almost 7 months out and I still have to take Prilosec every day or I get bad acid reflux. I don't know what I would do without Prilosec.

I'm 6 weeks post op, I take 2 Prilosec a day. Never had heartburn issues until had this surgery. It makes it very difficult to eat, drink Water. I get horrible stuff that comes back up.. I'm scheduled for an EGD next week!

I asked the Dr today if I could double the Prilosec by taking it twice a day, and he said no, that it wouldn't help. So I'm looking forward to talking it over with him tomorrow. Thanks for your input everyone!

Same issue w/me when I started mushy food. Im on Prevacid since post-op. Dr. Said I could take Prevacid in a.m.' date=' & Pepcid AC @ nite, & to back up to full liquids. I'm 3 weeks post-op & was told its a common problem while my stomach is still angry, swollen, & developing scar tissue. This solved my problem.[/quote']

How long do you have to back up for?

Do you use sugar free tums or regular?

Just the regular extra strength ones.... They provide more of an instant relief... I take otc generic zantac 150 twice a day as well but definitely suggest chewing on some Tumms when needed.

Good Luck!

I came home from the hospital on liquid Zantac twice a day. 3weeks later I started having breakthrough acid reflux, so the dr added a Prevacid solutab once a day. I've been great since the second dose of Prevacid. I wouldn't recommend taking anything OTC without clearing it with your surgeon first. Best of luck!

I never had heartburn before surgery, but now 25 months out I'm resigned to the fact that I'll probably be living with it forever. I take Nexium every 2-3 days, and it takes care of it. If I don't take it, though, I'm in absolute misery.

How long do you have to back up for?

Till I try again & either pass or fail. I've done the Prilosec/ Prevacid AC thing for a week, just ate some very mushy twice baked potatoes! A couple of bubbles, but no acidy pain, no torture! Whoohoo! Highly recommend my meds! :) Man, I thought I'd be drinking my food forever for a minute..