Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

And The Survey Says.....

I'm a 57 yr old female, 5' 6" and 270 lbs. I'm not a big eater. I have always eaten slowly and have no problem with leaving food on my plate if i am full. I believe my current weight is from eating the wrong foods (ice cream addict), eating at the wrong times (before bed or only once a day -- some days I am just not hungry) and being sedimentary (waa-a-a-ay on my buttski all day long, every day!) and body chemical changes after menopause. Diets (weight watchers) that used to work, are not accomplishing anything for me. I have considered surgery now for about 3 yrs and finally I am sick of my size. I want to do something about it before my organs and/ or my frame gives out or before any co-morbidities surface.

I know a dozen people who have had gastric bypass, one who has had duodenal-switch and two who have had the lap band. I don't know anyone who has had the vertical sleeve. Lap-band and duodenal switch are not even a consideration for me... I know I don't want either of those.

But, I'm having a difficult time making a decision on whether to have gastric bypass or vertical sleeve. The malabsorbtion of bypass makes me nervous but not as much as the thought of having surgery and having it not work.

I have done a ton of online research, have read a lot of forums, blogs etc. and have spent hours and hours (months) watching YouTube videos. It seems if you had the sleeve, you love it and if you had the rny, you love it. Sort reminds me of the Ford vs Chevy thing.

I have put off the decision until my first visit with the surgeon -- that was today. He was of absolutely no help. I don't want him to decide for me, I was looking for more information. And I have since realized that maybe he doesn't know the answers to my questions. So let me survey and see what those who have experience tell me.

So here is my survey question:

1) Were you a big eater prior to surgery? I mean, did you eat 2 or more sandwiches for lunch and go back for 2nds or 3rds at dinner?

Any additional insights you have would be wonderful -- thanks for your honesty and time.

Hi, I didn't have surgery yet. but beside age I have the same starting point as you are. So When I did my research I turn away lapband from the start. and decided to do the sleeve.

I don't want to do by pass. I even think that my Surgeon wouldn't let me do this. when he ask what I want to do I told him sleeve and he said that this is good choice.

Talk to your surgeon and ask him what he think.

Dear Imgoing to lose it

My wife did extensive research as well.

My wife had the sleeve on July 16 and I had it on August 13th.

We are both been very happy with our choice of the sleeve

Your stomach is so small that you feel up after a few once of food

You do not have the cravings as you did before

I was a cronic night eater and also loved to go back for seconds and thirds

Keep in mind that you will have to learn to add exercise to your daily routine with you want to lose the weight

I hope this will help you make up your mind

I too was not a big eater my throid stopped working several years ago and I gained weight. I decided to have the sleeve due to not wanting things moved around and the chance of regaining weight back. with the sleeve out is more difficult to re gain the weight. I do not consider my self but did not always make good choices. I have not struggled at all since having this done.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using VST

Hi! I could eat a lot at one sitting and I also had night time eating problems. I had the sleeve done on July 30th and I am very happy. This tool really helps

Me to keep my portion sizes very small. I am also off my diabetic and BP meds completely since my surgery day (this was my primary motivation).

Wish you the best whatever you choose to do!

-sarah

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I was not as big of an eater as you'd think from my size. I would go through periods where I'd have a really large meal, but on average I ate two meals a day, usually normal sized, maybe a little bigger. I would sometimes go back for seconds, never for thirds. I ate the wrong kinds of foods even though I was usually eating normal.

The sleeve has been great. I was completely addicted to food and now I really have a lot of control. I considered bypass when looking, but am so glad that I settled on the sleeve.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to give me some insight.

I have a feeling no matter what I decide the doctor is going to tell me he thinks I have made a good choice.

I have been waffling back and forth all day long. Just when I think I have made up my mind something swings me the other way. Having said that, though, I am leaning more towards the RNY rather than the sleeve. Having said that,... ask me in 15 minutes -- lol.

But I do have to decide within the next few days so I can get approval from insurance and schedule the surgery.

I am glad to see that people are taking time to give me their input. After all... there is no better teacher than experience. Thanks, again and keep the wisdom coming.

My Doc believes there are 2 groups of people. The sweet eaters and volume eaters. With past results she recommends the sleeve to volume eaters generally. One reason many slider foods (sweets) can be consumed with the sleeve and actual weight gain can be accomplished. With the other surgery you would have instant dumping syndrome from the sweets.

One other item I myself looked at was the sleeve was a less invasive surgery compared to the other. Also, I am a volume eater so both myself and Doc agreed that would be the best route.

I understand you have to decide but have you asked or considered your Docs recommendations?

I asked the surgeon yesterday what he recommended. He said he doesn't like to recommend, it is wholly my decision. I told him I understood where he would be hesitant to make a recommendation but that he was the professional, he saw results of both surgeries on a bigger scale than me. I was hoping to get some information if the sleeve works for someone who is not a big eater, mostly I eat the wrong things. His response was that the RNY is the "Gold Standard" and the sleeve could be considered the "Silver Standard" or perhaps the sleeve is also gold but not as many carats. I'm sorry but, huh?... (I've never been good at reading in-between the lines.)

But thank you formyfamily, what your doc told you makes absolute sense.

His response was that the RNY is the "Gold Standard" and the sleeve could be considered the "Silver Standard" or perhaps the sleeve is also gold but not as many carats. I'm sorry but, huh?... (I've never been good at reading in-between the lines.)

My interpretation: He likes to do RNY because it's a surgery he's more familiar with and comfortable doing. He doesn't like the sleeve as much because he's probably only done it once or twice (or never).

I was a volume eater, so the sleeve was the right choice for me. I never really liked sweets unless it involved chocolate. But I didn't even have much of that because caffeine is a trigger for my Migraines.< /p>

Late night TV and eating a lot of the wrong type of Snacks was my thing today I still don't eat a lot till this day but unfortunately all of the stuff at a packed on the fat. I chose to sleep because of the results i've seen on others n what I've been reading n researching this is magnificent for me. one other important thing that helped me to make my decision is that I have not heard too many people complain about having a whole lot of excess skin like you may have from the gastric bypass surgery