Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just wanted to share some ideas I came across that I really think will help me with the shake thing. I'm sure the sleeve veterans know these things but maybe some newbies could use the info.

I was digging around here last night trying to find different opinions/ideas on Protein Shakes -- I'm supposed to be doing Prescriptfit right now per NUT but I just cannot stomach them. Too frothy and slimy and gross. So that means in less than a week I'm already disobeying instructions :(

I've always thought the Atkins RTD shakes were the best around and I could drink them with no trouble. No slime, no bubbles, no froth. The Premier Shakes are good too. I have pretty much decided that I'll have to just circumvent the NUT if I wanted to be able to be successful and get enough Protein after surgery.

I just put my Atkins Mocha Latte in my little personal blender with 1 tablespoon of sugar free banana cream pudding and about an inch of fresh banana and it came out awesome! The only problem I'm seeing is that I only have had half of it and I am stuffed. The Atkins shakes have 15 grams of protein. After surgery I will only be able to sip, sip, sip, sip -- 1 shake will take me all day! I cannot figure out how people can realistically get in the amount of protein they want you to have in the first few weeks(months) after surgery. I've seen people mention "high quality protein" here. I have no idea how to tell the difference. I didn't even know there was a difference so I have no idea if the Atkins shakes have quality protein.

Also MegInNOLA posted about making her own Protein Shakes and smoothies because she never could tolerate the protein powders. She uses simple ingredients like Greek yogurt, egg whites, milk etc. Why that never occurred to me I'll never know. Thank you Meg!

well.. i plan on just trying to consume liquids with Protein in 'em.. like the atkin's shakes.. if i do a powder, maybe mix 'em up with almond milk or hemp milk.. when you're trying to get in all your water.. drink Fluid with protein in it.. like the almond milk, hemp milk, cashew milk, etc.. sip on beef or chicken broth.. all of that has Water in it & has protein. i have right now a bottle of Protein Powder that is from a company called Garden of Life.. the powder is called RAW PROTEIN.. it's organic & made from raw food.. it's got 80 calories, 3g carbs, 3g Fiber, lower than 1 gram of sugar & 17 grams of protein.. i like 'em just fine.. others may not like the taste.. but i'd be combining that with some kind of nut and/or hemp milk, to maximize protein intake and liquid.< /p>

try Syntrax Nectar. they are fruity and you can mix them w less Water and take them as shots. Vitamin Shoppe has them in store. a lot of bariatric online places let you order samplers as well, with one of each flavor. i mix 1 scoop w 4 oz. also matrix makes a min cookie oreo one, and nectar flavors i enjoy are the double stuffed cookie, fuzzy navel, and crystal sky (blue sweettart).

I was NEVER told I had to get all my Protein in while on my liquid diet. The nut and Dr only stressed not getting dehydrated. I was on Clear Liquids only for 14 days including drinkable yogurt starting day 4. In that two weeks I only had protein that came in broth form or yogurt.

I was NEVER told I had to get all my Protein in while on my liquid diet. The nut and Dr only stressed not getting dehydrated. I was on clear liquids only for 14 days including drinkable yogurt starting day 4. In that two weeks I only had Protein that came in broth form or yogurt.

every surgeon is different and not every one puts protein on the liquid part. the focus is on healing for those weeks, and if you can do liquid, fine. but stay hydrated. most people will not get to their goal amount of protein until a few months out at least.

all in all i think the OP is referring to handling the taste/texture of protein shakes at any time.

but again, if and when you can get the Protein in, even better.

The best Protein is whey Protein. If that is the first ingredient on the package, it's high quality protein. Somebody made a post just a couple of days ago, maybe yesterday, explaining what to look for, and the differences in Proteins....I think it was Shane Ferris (OTR sleever).

As for getting in the required protein, nobody does it the first couple of weeks. Just try your best. Getting in the Water is more important. But if you can't get in the protein, I wouldn't waste any energy eating anything that is full of carbs and absent protein. For example, I had grits on my list of approved full liquids, but my nut told me not to eat them unless I was getting close to my protein goal. After about a week, I was hitting that goal, so I started enjoying a small bowl of grits about every other day until I hit the soft food stage.

I've been trying different Protein powders in anticipation of my surgery on 8-27-12. By far Syntrax Nectar are the best. I have also tried one of the Isopure clear pre-bottled drinks in pineapple something and banana. It was tolerable but left a funny taste in my mouth. Syntrax nectar is really good and doesn't carry that funky after taste!!

I've been trying different Protein powders in anticipation of my surgery on 8-27-12. By far Syntrax nectar are the best. I have also tried one of the Isopure clear pre-bottled drinks in pineapple something and banana. It was tolerable but left a funny taste in my mouth. Syntrax Nectar is really good and doesn't carry that funky after taste!!

Do u buy those online only?

Just a couple of thoughts...One thing I learned is that if I mix my Protein Shake and put it in the fridge for a few hours or overnight it was not frothy, it was smooth and well mixed. Also, after surgery my tastes changed drastically. When I was pre-op trying to loss required weight I used the syntex but after I couldnt stand it...so dont put stock in a company and make sure you buy it from a place you can return unused portion if you dont like it. Also, I am almost 2 years out and I still drink Protein Shakes just about everyday, so I have tried many combos and you dont have to stick to one thing.

Hope that helps.

Also, it was like 4 months before I hit my Protein goal in one day.

Do u buy those online only?

Hi, I just ordered a bunch of samples of the Syntrax nectar from bjsbariatrics.com. They have a sample pack for $14.99 and you get to choose the flavors you want.

Dana

Thanks Dana. I have been wondering what to try, etc. thanks for letting us know about syntax.

Thanks Dana. I have been wondering what to try, etc. thanks for letting us know about syntax.

I haven't tried any of them yet. Some on VST like them, some don't. I think more people seemed to like them than dislike them so I thought I'd give the samples a try. Fingers crossed!

I too order some online but I also bought some in a Heath food store. Some of them are nasty and some have been wonderful. The by far are better than any others I have tried. They don't leave that "filmy" nasty aftertaste that others leave.

I mixed the Syntrax nectar caribbean cooler with cold Water & ice today. Even though it was in Water, it tasted like a Piña Colada. Not creamy but great taste without the funky aftertaste.

My favorite is Chike (mail order sample sizes too). They have a coffee Protein shake that is wonderful & several other choices.