Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band To Sleeve - Thoughts?

My original posting was on the LB talk site but have never liked it because so many people talk to you like you're a freak of nature when you say the band hasn't worked for you or you've had complications, you get the whole "you're doing it wrong" "what do you eat" responses.

I guys, any thoughts on Lapband removal and going to sleeve?

I was banded April 2008 and have many complications over the last few years from GI issues to slippage causing weight gain.

Spoke to my doctor today originally thinking of going to gastric bypass, but after much discussion of how I am dedicated to working out, counting calories and Portion Control, that he feels the sleeve would be a better option for me to lose the weight Ive gained and help me obtain my goal weight with out dealing with the complications of re routing intestines and malobsobtion.

Here's the break down:

I had never really considered the sleeve only because I had read that those who failed with the band would fail with the sleeve. And with my track record lol...

Let see banded April 2008, lost about 30lbs in 10months

Bad break up on Feb 2009 prompted the run/drink water/smoke diet and lost 40lbs or so in 2months.

April 2009 got life back on track and was less depressed so was able to eat and hold down food and gained 60lbs in 6months

Aug 2010 went back to nutritionist and was put on phentramine (yet have lb but still needed diet pills) and lost 30lbs in 6months.

July 2011 delt with slight weight gain and possible ulcer

Nov/Dec 2011 nearly hospitalized from GI issues and had ever test they could think of to figure out what was wrong with me and scoped from WMD to end. Off phentramine

March 2012 learned my band had slipped which wa cause of a lot of the issues my GI doctor was trying to figure out. And band unfilled and began discussions on revision to gastric bypass

May 2012 band looked better had partial fill and more talks about revision, up 7lbs, back to other doctor an put back on phentramine weightloss program

July 2012 gained another 13lbs and another fill, stated to start researching revison options. Got personal trainer at gym for 2xs a month work out for extra support. Still on phentramine

Aug 2012 down 3lbs, still having issues with band, can't lay on stomach because port site hurts, can't do certain work outs because it hurts to twist. Still not much restriction but fear tha because my band is tighter when I stress that any fill can cause issues. Discussed my fears of gastric and my doctors/my fears that of band is completely removed I will gain even more back and then some. Doctor recommended sleeve over bypass.

So yes I've been looking into it for awhile, I'm doing everything that has been asked of me and then some to lose the weight and keep gaining the min I'm off diet pills and sometimes even when on them. Doctor expressed that believes its my intolerance to certain healthy foods (the good Fiber ones) is a big problem, cant have a salad or fresh veggies with out getting stuck, sliming or PBing.

So that's why I'm torn, hadn't given much thought to the sleeve before it scared me more than bypass until I read all the horror stories of it and heard stories from friends who knew people who died from gastric complications months after surgery.

I've spent 4hours yesterday just reading and researching and so far the sleeve really does seem like the best option. The idea to continue to have a tool to help me control my weight gain and the ability to eat a salad at the same time with out being in pain or throwing up sounds heavenly lol

So that's where I am at lol

Hi there :) I revised from band to sleeve in Sept 2010, and I was originally Lap Banded in Feb 2008.

It is absolutely UN TRUE that ex bandsters to poorly with the sleeve. For ME the Lap Band failed... I did not. I know it seems like a common feeling that we ourselves must have done something wrong, but I refuse to accept that. I must be right too because I blew through my sleeve and I've been at goal for over a year now. I'm happy, I'm fit and I'm slim and trim. That's all I ever wanted with my WLS procedure and never got until I was sleeved.

I workout nearly every day in some capacity. I eat by the sleever rules most of the time (I'm not perfect!!) but those two thing ensure I remain in my tiny clothes and toned and fit.

I highly encourage any Bandsters to take the plunge to the Sleeve if their Band did not work out for them. YOU are NOT a FAILURE... Failing means giving up and since you're here considering a revision, you have not given up.

Blessings!

I'm nervous and excited. Doctor has extra steps he makes his client take than just the insurance requirements for the revision, which is frustrating because I'd like it out last week lol. I'm miserable and in so much pain. But I'm happy to be gettin it removed. Looks like it'll take another 3-4mos. Wish I would have made my decision back in march so I would have it done already lol

Hi Ash, good to see you here. We have quite a number of ex-banders here & I'm sure you'll be hearing from many of them.

I've never had the band so I can't really help much, but I did wany to say hi & welcome.

Im "getting sleeved" next week and thrilled to see happy converts!! I was banded 2006, 225#, Repaired broken tubing Nov 2009 165#, now the repair site is leaking Sept 2012 150# BMI 25, I am converting to maintain my loss and hopefully get to 140 goal. I was self pay for band, repair and now the sleeve. Im parying GOD will guide the surgeon and one step success. I didnt fail the band , it failed me !!! - - - mechanically!! Im thrilled to see so many have done so well. I will too I am determined NOT to gain!!

The only things the sleeve shares with the band, really, is that they're both categorized as restrictive procedures. Some (many) of the sensations are the same, for me. Many are not. There is nothing about the sleeve that indicates failure if the lap and failed. If a person fails to be accountable for what they eat, then a restrictive procedure may fail. But a band slipping or eroding or whatever means nothing for the sleeve.

Lapbamd in 2006

Sleeve in 2012.

So have done 1 of the 3 nutritionist visits (another one tomorrow), the seminar, and saw the therapist today. So getting closer to finding out if Aetna will cover the revision. Only having second thoughts on band to sleeve or band to gastric. Was gun ho for sleeve but therapist today was recommending the bypass. Thoughts?

I had the Lapland done in 2010.... Gained 20#. Sleeved July 2012 and it's the best thing I have ever done. In 8 weeks, I'm down 31#.

Just a question your NUT says bypass? It is more than just food.< /p>

I had a revision on September 10th and it was the best thing I could have done. My band was not faulty but I knew I would have to get it out sooner or later, I don't believe it is forever. The sleeve is so different. Only 16 days out but with the band I couldn't even have a shake for Breakfast now with the sleeve I can. You won't be disappointed doing the sleeve, it is the right choice.

Here is what I was told, and this by a nurse who "failed" with the band and got to a normal BMI with the sleeve. Some bandsters have learned to tolerate that overful feeling - packing the pouch or whatever. Or, they have developed habits to eat slider type foods to avoid that painful feeling the band gives you with healthier food. If a person doesn't change those bad habits, they will not do well with the sleeve.

On the plus side, bandsters typically understand how to comply with things and generally are less shocked and (frankly speaking) don't seem to let the normal healing process get them down so much. Getting used to not drinking with meals for example is no biggie to someone who complied with the rules of being banded.

First surgeon I saw told me I was not a good candidate for the sleeve because my BMI was over 50 and I had "failed" with the band, also a restrictive procedure. He advocated the gastric bypass for me, but I just could not get my mind around it.

I had basically decided to not revise to anything - and was trying one more weight loss program. That was the luckiest phone call I ever made. I spoke to the director of the nutrition center and she told me flat out i would likely not be successful without a revision surgery and to seriously seriously consider the sleeve. She connected me with the surgeons I wound up using and I am forever thankful.

At least for me, I have had few "issues" with the sleeve because it is SO MUCH BETTER then living with the band. I don't vomit, I don't have pain after eating and i am not going around hungry all the time.

I was terrified too, I mean really scared. Maybe a healthy respect for the risk you are taking and the lifestyle changes needed is a good thing, i don't know. I am glad I did it though because not only is my health ALOT better but my quality of life is just incredible compared to when I was over 300#.