Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unjury Chocolate Splendor

I have read on this forum from numerous people that the Protein powders are awful and they just have to choke them down. I got a sample packet from my bariatric surgeon's office and I have to say...it is GOOD!!! It is chocolate Splendor and is rather tasty!

Now, with that said, many people have said that what you can tolerate before surgery may not be the case after surgery. So I am wondering what do I do to prepare for after surgery? Should I go ahead and buy the product now or wait?

I stuck to sample sizes. However, after surgery and the liquid and mushy phases were over, I haven't had a single Protein shake. So I wouldn't advise you to buy anything in bulk. Plus your taste buds really do change after surgery.

Where did you buy just sample size product?

You can buy the Unjury from their own site in sample packs. (their strawberry sorbet is good too and the chicken Soup just know you can't nuke it or it clumps) I have heard your taste buds DO change. So try not to buy bulk before then. Oh and I agree, I rarely do shakes anymore. I still do on occassion, but it's the left over samples my surgeon gave me to be honest.

Do you both find that you don't need the Protein shakes to meet your nutrional requirements after you start eating solids? Or do you just not do them?

What does an average meal look like for you now that you are post-op and eating solids?

I still need shakes @ 5 weeks out. There is no way I could physically eat 80g of food at this time. My NUT gave me paperwork staying that weeks 1-4 that I will need 1-2 shakes to make Protein requirements. I ust Premier Protein (Costco) and it is premade. I keep in fridge at all times....fav is chocolate.< /p>

I have found that if I plan well for the day, I don't need Protein shakes. A typical day for food looks like this:

Breakfast: 16 oz skim milk (which takes me a while to drink so it doesn't all happen at one time)

and a greek yogurt (this totals about 27g of Protein, depending on the yogurt)

Lunch: 4 oz of meat (28g of protein) usually mexican in nature easy to eat out with my group from work

Dinner: 2 oz of meat and veggies (14g of protein, sometimes more meat if I slacked earlier in the day)

Snacks: veggies or fruit with a piece of cheese and lots of Water or tea.

I didn't start incorporating Snacks until later on in my journey. I can tell you this, I am never hungry even when I skip Snacks which I do. My doc and nut both want me to get in 60 grams of protein, this is a preference by doctor. Please follow whatever they want you to get in. I can tell you that my doc's thought process is that you shouldn't live your life on a Protein shake and that you are meant to get your nutrients in by eating them. So far it has worked for me. Believe me there are some days that my stomach is just not interested in solid protein. Those are the days that I drink more milk and eat more yogurt.

Hope that helps,

Nichole

I prefer Unjury because it tastes good (chocolate and the chicken) and I cannot taste the unflavored in Soup or milk. It is top quality medical Protein and tastes so much better than most other Protein Drinks. The RTD stuff in cans is VERY sicky sweet.

Do you both find that you don't need the Protein shakes to meet your nutrional requirements after you start eating solids? Or do you just not do them?

What does an average meal look like for you now that you are post-op and eating solids?

I'm 8 weeks out and have maybe 2 shakes a week. After surgery I could no longer stand the taste of any of my shakes so I just use unjury unflavored in some almond milk with a handful of strawberries.

A typical meal now is about 2 ounces of Protein - chicken breast, sliced turkey, greek yogurt, cheese - usually 4 times a day. I absolutely cannot eat more than 2 ounces at a time. During the day I sip on an iced glass of half Isopure and half diet lemonaide to keep my protein up.

I LOVE Unjury chocolate Splendor!!!!! I have it every single morning in my coffee - best mocha ever!!! I also enjoy the strawberry sorbet mixed in lemonade - nice and tart lemonade.

I was sleeved June 20 2012 and like you had tried the samples from my surgeon's office prior to. After surgery, I've noticed if I mix the Protein Shakes in milk (as I did prior to surgery) it is too sweet and I don't enjoy it.

I also noted that when I omit the 2nd shake of the day (typically the strawberry and lemonade) I have more Fluid retention - swelling in my feet and ankles and sometimes fingers.

Who knew Protein could be so awesome!!!!!

You need to have something on hand post op, Unjury has a generous return policy that allows for taste! chicken Soup flavored though a little salty was a nice change from most other shakes I was intolerant to cold for several months and lived on that stuff!

Love Unjury. Have had both chocolates and the vanilla. Like mixing fresh fruit in with the vanilla. Used this after Lapband surgery and love the product.