Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

@candy1980- oh dear god! It sounds horrible! Im sorry you had to go through that. :( ....so what can I do to avoid it?

*Jess*

Egg salad (eggs and mayo only) is what did it the first time. Ranch Salad Dressing is what did it the second time. Usually people will tell you to avoid sweets and greasy foods but i havent tried anything sweet or greasy. It varies from person and from what ive read the majority of sleeve patients will not have to worry about dumping. The correct term is rapid gastric emptying. My dr told me i probably ate too fast but i know i will never eat anything with mayo or ranch again

Egg salad (eggs and mayo only) is what did it the first time. Ranch Salad Dressing is what did it the second time. Usually people will tell you to avoid sweets and greasy foods but i havent tried anything sweet or greasy. It varies from person and from what ive read the majority of sleeve patients will not have to worry about dumping. The correct term is rapid gastric emptying. My dr told me i probably ate too fast but i know i will never eat anything with mayo or ranch again

Wow, and to think I bought the "sleevers don't get dumping" speech. With hypoglycemia I don't have to worry about the sugar, I already avoid it...but if ranch and mayo causes it too, I'm in trouble. :(

Constipation after surgery is very common. i actually had a rectal impaction, which i hope no one will ever have to experience.

Omg that doesnt sound good... what is tht?

candy,

I'm so glad you told your story. I had my first dumping experience and thought I had to call 911. I ate ice cream and my body wasn't sure if I wanted to vomit or have diarrhea. I started dripping in sweat and I was very dizzy and nauseaus. I thought I had a leak because I was getting strange back spasms. I took every nausea medication I could find, stumbling around and almost passing out. I finally layed down and it went away. The worst 15 minutes of my life. Ugh

Kellee

jessica, basically my stool was really hard and was "stuck". it was a miserable experience and i was close to being hospitalized. stay regular! lol

I was about 11 days post op and went to Red Lobster with some friends that had already planned to go...I just wanted to tag along to get out of the house. While there I decided to get some lobster bisque...after 4 teaspoons I started having hot flashes and feeling nauseous...I was fanning the crap out of myself with the menu. It took about 10 min for me to feel normal again....

Yes, you can dump with the sleeve. People who have never had WLS can dump, so certainly we can. The difference is that it's a "risk" with us, but more or less a guarantee with RNY.

Here's a lot of info on dumping (causes, breakdown, etc.) that I posted on a similar thread a while ago:

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/32060-we-dont-technically-experience-dumping-buuuut/#entry279816

I am reading this document that my doctor requires me to read and sign before surgery and it lists the risks that are involved with the surgery and side effects afterwards. It mentioned something about dumping syndrome...I didnt think people had that with this surgery? I thought it was only with the RNY? Can someone elaborate on that for me please? Does it really happen to sleeve patients?

Thank you! I will definitely take a look at it :) thanks everyone for the advice and for sharing. I really have learned more on here then I have thru my doctors office I think lol.

*Jess*

I've heard people mention taking Miralax to prevent constipation...anybody take Metamucil or other psyllium based soluble Fiber? I've read about it on posts about BMs and fiber, but do any of you see a problem with regular fiber vs miralax?

Sometimes when I eat dessert, I feel awful afterwards:( just as if I am "coming down w something" I lie down and wait for it to pass.