Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Much Weight Lost On Pre-Op?

Hi all. I'm supposed to start a pre-op glucerna (diabetic ensure diet) on Sept 1 for 4 weeks as per my surgeon. I need to lose 20 lbs by surgery, which is oct 2. Just wondering if this Is even possible? I'm 278lbs right now..how long was your liquid pre-op diet and how much did u lose?

Just started my liquids today & I am on them 2 weeks. I am using Bari-essentials, got it from my bariatric doctor, 4 shakes a day, and I can have other things too. Surgery is September 4th!!

I lost 15 lbs in two weeks. Week one, two Protein Shakes (<5g sugar, <5g carb, >18g protein) and one meal of lean Protein and veggies. One of each per day, SF Jello, 6 oz lowfat/low sugar yogurt, 3 oz fruit. Week two same but no "meal" only three protein shakes. Good luck! You can do it!!

I did two weeks of the BariEssentials plus occasional low-sodium broth and lost 14 pounds. I made the shakes with skim milk, so my intake was 800-830 calories a day, depending on whether I had the broth. I don't care for artificial sweeteners, so I skipped the sugar-free Jello and such that were allowed. I did still have black coffee; it was allowed, and is calorie free. As long as you keep to the plan and keep yourself busy, the 4 weeks will go by quickly, and 20 pounds in 30 days should be doable. If the goal is simply 20 pounds from NOW until October 2nd, you still have 10 days this month to help jump start that. Cut out as many carbs as you can, ESPECIALLY sugary drinks if you haven't quit them already, keep your Protein up (it REALLY helps with hunger to get your protein!) keep your fats low, and keep up your Vitamins and Calcium. If you give your body what it NEEDS it won't beg as much for what it THINKS it wants, which is all the junk we used to feed it. One of the objectives of the liquid diet is to shrink the liver, which sits in front of the stomach. If it is too large, it hampers the surgeon's work, or can even prevent the surgery from happening. REAL good reasons not to cheat. I found it helpful to remind myself of the goal of surgery every time I was tempted to cheat, especially towards the end. You CAN do this! Good luck, and we'll see you on the loser's bench!

I did two weeks of the BariEssentials plus occasional low-sodium broth and lost 14 pounds. I made the shakes with skim milk' date=' so my intake was 800-830 calories a day, depending on whether I had the broth. I don't care for artificial sweeteners, so I skipped the sugar-free Jello and such that were allowed. I did still have black coffee; it was allowed, and is calorie free. ![/quote']

Did you use Dr. Kim? Sounds like everything I am allowed to have! :-) It says I have to make the shakes with skim milk, blech. I like 2% milk. But I'm using skim.

Thank u everyone for ur responses! Res I plan on doing a head start or 2 shakes and 1 lean Protein meal in the evening..then on sept 1 starting the glucerna. Hope it works!

I lost 23 lbs in 2 weeks pre-op. I don't think 20 lbs would be out of the question.

KS did you use Dr. Kim? Sounds like my diet! And it says Ft Worth! ;-)

Did you use Dr. Kim? Sounds like everything I am allowed to have! :-) It says I have to make the shakes with skim milk, blech. I like 2% milk. But I'm using skim.

Sure does sound like Dr. Kim. That was my surgeon too.

Sorry for that posting twice. My phone went all weird on me & I couldn't find my reply so I did it again. :-)

I am scheduled for the 4th in Dallas! So far I love Dr. Kim & his entire staff! They are so great!!

Just weighed in this morning and am currently with a 30 lb loss with 2 weeks to go on the liver shrink diet. Everyone is different and will lose at their own rate. Mine is going to be a high loss but my weight is also much higher.

I lost 15 lbs in two weeks. Week one' date=' two Protein shakes (<5g sugar, <5g carb, >18g protein) and one meal of lean Protein and veggies. One of each per day, SF Jello, 6 oz lowfat/low sugar yogurt, 3 oz fruit. Week two same but no "meal" only three Protein Shakes. Good luck! You can do it!![/quote']

Hi Tracy. The Protein shake you are using, is that the make up I should be lookin for? (<5 sugar, <5 carb, >18 protein )? I haven't been officially put on a liquid diet but I have probably a month to go so I was thinking of putting myself on a modified liquid diet and if that doesn't work go full liquid. I'm just not sure what to look for in a Protein Shake. Thanks!

Hi Tracy. The Protein Shake you are using, is that the make up I should be lookin for? (<5 sugar, <5 carb, >18 Protein )? I haven't been officially put on a liquid diet but I have probably a month to go so I was thinking of putting myself on a modified liquid diet and if that doesn't work go full liquid. I'm just not sure what to look for in a protein shake. Thanks!

Nancy, the protein shake I am using is close, but the nutritionist said it was fine for both pre and post op. It has 6g carbs and 4g sugar. She said the extra gram of carb is fine. I use Nitro-Peak whey Protein by Inner Armour. I get it at Vitamin World, but I found that the one I order from Vitamin World online tastes better than when I buy the same product in the store. I can't imagine why they would taste different, but they do...weird. Unjury makes yummy Protein Powder that fits the bill. You can go online to Unjury.com and order samples to see what you like. Chike makes yummy Protein Shakes too, Chike.com you can order samples. The other brand I have not tried, but comes highly recommended is nectar. You can also get samples to try their flavors. If you like fruity drinks, then Nectar has many that mix up with Water to be like Kool-aid. I would go the sample route (I don't think you can get samples of Nitro Peak) unless you know that you like protein shakes. We have been drinking them on and off in my house for years so I already knew I liked that one. But if you are not sure, $40 is a lot to spend in the event that you hate it!

I'm using Atkins, which is a little higher in fat than recommended, but I felt tortured drinking the others, when I've been drinking Atkins for years, and it's the only one I enjoy. I compromised by drinking 2 Atkins shakes, and a lower fat shake for the 3rd. I was told to drink 4-5 shakes per day, so only drinking 3 is an okay compromise, according to my NUT.

KS did you use Dr. Kim? Sounds like my diet! And it says Ft Worth! ;-)

Yes, I did! I'm VERY happy with the results so far, 4 weeks out and no complications. Enjoying mushies now, my sleeve hasn't rejected anything. I worked very hard to get myself in as good a shape as possible before surgery, and I'm so glad I did. I'm sick of the weight-loss roller coaster and want OFF. PERMANENTLY!

And yes, I'm in the Ft Worth area, not far from his office at all!