Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Revisions To Sleeve From Band In The 230 Lb Range At Surgery?

I'll be having revision surgery from LapBand to the sleeve next month. My pre-op starts in about 3 weeks. I am curious if anyone else has gone through surgery around where I am. I was originally in the 290s, am currently about 225-230 depending on what I ate for dinner. I was banded 14 months ago and because of complications I'm am being revised to the sleeve. I'm curious to hear from anyone with a similar story. How did you fair after surgery? How much and how quickly did you lose? Was it worth the extra surgery in your opinion? Any words of advice going forward to the sleeve from the band?

There are a bunch of revision peeps around here. They'll be along soon I'm sure

I was banded on AUgust 2011 and had it removed in February 2012. I was then sleeved on march 14 with a weight of 240. I am now 5 months post op and currently weight 184. It's not that huge of a success but when I started with the lap band I weighed 281 so in a year I've lost almost 100 lbs with the two surgeries. I think that is why I tend to lose a little slower because I've already been losing for 7 months before thsi surgery. I couldn't have made a better decision. I am completely happy because now I feel naturally full and I don't feel like I'm having a heart attack when I eat something that will get stuck.

I was scared to convert to the sleeve but now I wish I would have done it in the first place. I'm still overweight but still losing and I'm confident that I will get to my goal of 145 by my one year anniversary from the sleeve. If you have any other questions feel free to message me.

msaprildawn, our stories are very similar. I am at about 230 and will be having my surgery in less than 5 weeks. I went from the 290 range to where I am now with the band over the course of a year. I was fearful that I might not really lose much more after the sleeve. I also know that being at 230, it may sound a little petty to some that I am not happy with my loss thusfar, but I feel like I have a long way to go. In the back of my mind I feel like if I made it to the 180s I would feel like all of this was a success and worth it. Not that it hasn't been worth it thusfar, but I would feel successful if I made it to the 180s. Anything beyond that would just feel like a bonus! You're not losing slowly at all in my book. I never wanted to lose too drastically too quick. I think it would be too much of a shocker, too much conversation from those around me, and I don't love to be the center of attention at all. Thanks so much for the response. I just might be messaging you! -Ivy

Hi there. I had my revision from band to sleeve in June 2011. I am just over 14 months post-op and my weight as of this morning in 149. I started out my revision at 220 lbs (started WLS at 241 lbs). I had a ton of complications with my band so after 18 months I had it removed.

It is so worth the second surgery!!! I am so much happier with my sleeve than I ever was with my band. I was very fortunate after surgery. I had only one complication, it was dehydration. I will tell you that happens to a lot of people. My doc just gave me some fluids and I felt amazing after that. My weight loss came pretty steadily.

My biggest piece of wisdom is that you are worth so much more than you know. Even though your band has caused you a ton of grief, it will actually benefit you in the long run. I have found that having had my band for 18 months prior to my revision that I learned to eat slowly and without the liquids. So after my revision, I have not had any issues with learning to eat with a much smaller stomach!

Feel free to message me anytime. I'll be glad to answer any questions or just listen.

Good luck!

Nichole

Wow, these two posts have really made me feel good about my decision. I like the idea of feeling more "naturally full". Not full because something just wants to be a jerk and disagree with my band. I dont' eat much as it is now, but because of this fussy band, only getting a couple bites in, I'll get hungry again in an hour or so. It's frustrating. I hear you YorkieFan about being prepared to eat slowly and small amounts and such. I am very used to it since having the band. I don't fear the transition into small portions, or eating habits as far as speed and drinking at all. I honestly am just ready for this all to happen and would go tomorrow if I could! I appreciate your response, and again may take you up on a message or ten! lol

I'll be having revision surgery from LapBand to the sleeve next month. My pre-op starts in about 3 weeks. I am curious if anyone else has gone through surgery around where I am. I was originally in the 290s, am currently about 225-230 depending on what I ate for dinner. I was banded 14 months ago and because of complications I'm am being revised to the sleeve. I'm curious to hear from anyone with a similar story. How did you fair after surgery? How much and how quickly did you lose? Was it worth the extra surgery in your opinion? Any words of advice going forward to the sleeve from the band?

I was 206 lbs at time of my surgery on Aug 9, 2012. I had the band in Feb 2010 - with about a 50 lb weight loss (including pre surgery)... approx 40 lbs with the band. Had complications and had the band unfilled in April of 2012. Gained approx 20 lbs.

Sleeved on August 9. So, I am now right at 4 weeks post op. Down 17 pounds and currently at 189 lbs...

I had some complications with scar tissue and a kink in my esophagus... however, I think that I have done very well. The surgery was a success... I had a lot of nausea in the beginning... let me say that again... I had a lot of nausea in the beginning... and I continued to take the nausea medication without fail well into the 2nd week post op. Thus, I never had any sickness or throwing up. So, recovery can be a little longer than a straight sleeve....

I think the biggest problem for me was.. having to go through all this again. When you have never had the post op surgery regime you really don't know what to expect until you are there... With having done this before... it has gotten a little redundant and I find myself saying, "I just wish I had done this in the first place".

No regrets on the band to sleeve so far... and from what I read in the forums... I don't think I will have any... Especially whenever I get to the place where all this post op regime is behind me... I can eat the foods I love and enjoy, with friends and family that I love... just not in the quantity of the past... :)

I am excited for you and would love to hear from you and how you do... :rolleyes:

PS... I agree with the others... it's a great choice....

I was banded on AUgust 2011 and had it removed in February 2012. I was then sleeved on march 14 with a weight of 240. I am now 5 months post op and currently weight 184. It's not that huge of a success but when I started with the lap band I weighed 281 so in a year I've lost almost 100 lbs with the two surgeries. I think that is why I tend to lose a little slower because I've already been losing for 7 months before thsi surgery. I couldn't have made a better decision. I am completely happy because now I feel naturally full and I don't feel like I'm having a heart attack when I eat something that will get stuck.

I was scared to convert to the sleeve but now I wish I would have done it in the first place. I'm still overweight but still losing and I'm confident that I will get to my goal of 145 by my one year anniversary from the sleeve. If you have any other questions feel free to message me.

I just wanted to say that I think your weight loss is fantastic! I am going for revision on the 10th and I can only hope to have such a great weight loss, congratulations!

Hi JammyDancer,

I'm having my revision surgery on 9/17 also!! If you want to pair up and be support buddies send me a message!! Either way i'd like to see howyou are making out!!

Best of luck on Monday! - Tara

I was banded in 2007. When I had my gallbladder out in Feb 2012, the doc confirmed that the band had slipped (I knew it about a week after the original surgery!).

Weight 235 on August 6, 2012, when I had the revision to the sleeve. Currently weigh 209, and couldn't be happier.

If you're considering the revision, don't hesitate! Get it done ASAP.

Sent from my iPad using VST