Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has Anyone Been Sleeved Twice?

I believe you will be as successful as you allow yourself to be - as successful as you allow yourself to believe you will be. Sounds like freakin' pollyanna, but you are already fearing failure. You have to stop thinking that way! (um, maybe I just read in what you said as I think though too....)

I was sleeved, got pneumonia, sleeved again as I had a leak and then had pneumonia last month again. I also am currently running a temp and scared what if I have pneumonia AGAIN? grrrrr! The point is - if I can get through all of that, and I've lost 90 lbs., you can do it too. Do what you are supposed to do - be mindful whenever you eat, stop eating whenever you are satisfied/not until you are engorged, workout, track your intake, Protein first, Water, etc. etc. etc.

With the scar tissue that you had inside of you, if your dr. was able to clean that out, you might not know what the results are until your body heals which could take some time. So in that time, here's your challenge: concentrate on success. Not on the fear of "what if". I do the same thing and people get so frustrated with me. You cannot assume you will fail! So stop that sort of thought right now ok? The moment you start to consider that is another moment that takes you away from reaching your goals. It's time to work on the head and know one thing - YOU CAN DO THIS!

I understand what you are feeling. But give yourself a shot at success before you assume you are going to fail pls.

Hope that helps. Best of luck.

I am pretty positive I didn't get to have one of those used on me :( I saw that in a video before my surgery and have been worried ever since cuz im sure they didn't use that in Mexico

Though I wasn't there, I am relatively positive there was a bougie used in your surgery. I havent yet heard of a surgeon that dosent use them.

You might not "feel" different because you are still on liquids. I didn't really feel restriction until I began eating mushies and dense Proteins. All of a sudden I could barely eat anything! lol :-) I am pretty sure you will feel very different when you can eat dense Proteins like meat, chicken, fish and things like that.

As far as re-sleeves--yes they have happened. A few people got re-sleeved because their original surgeon used a huge bougie and one lady I know got re-sleeved because she found out the surgeon didn't create a proper sleeve and left a lot of the fundus (which is supposed to be removed during sleeve surgery).

Although I have never personally heard of being re-sleeved I have heard of others like previously mentioned being revisioned to another procedure- ie bypass or RNY. However having said that my advice to you is to not get discouraged- Take what the doctor gave you- still follow the protocols- who knows maybe you will be successfull- it sounds like you may have accepted because it isnt "Normally how he does it" that it wont be successfull- PROOVE HIM WRONG!!! Moniter your intake, exercise- stick with his program who knows you may never need another procedure AND if you did the weight loss you have had will enable him an easier 2nd time around-.

I had 5 laparoscopic surgeries before my sleeve and at the time of my sleeve also had my lap band removed- Due to auto immune problems I have a collagen disorder and build scar tissue like crazy- My surgeon didnt have any problems with previous areas nor accessing anything he needed. If by chance you are not OK with your doctor then perhaps you might seek another opinion to see if they can offer anything else in the mean time.. but I'd really give it some time- let your body adjust before you go doing more to it.

GOod luck!

Thank you all for your words of encouragement. I'm going to try and look at this as something positive. I'm on solid foods now so I make sure I chew, chew, chew, I have taken extreme measures on Portion Control and a stop eating as soon as l feel full. My Dr is one of the best gastro guys in the NY/NJ area and he feels that I can be successful. It's just the thought of knowing there is a possibility that I may have to go through this again was discouraging. I agree with a lot of what a lot of people have posted and like I said l am going to try and stay positive.

Thank you all again,

T

Wish you the best! You are in good hands it sounds like and you can do this!

Oh ok, I hope this gets resolved for you. How has your hunger been? Is it reduced? What about your weight loss so far? When u ask about the bougie size, I wonder if the Dr. could say about how much stomache he was able to remove.

My thoughts are with you!

Hey 'Less'

Dr. Davidson was my surgeon too. My bougie is a 32 and I had NO hunger for about the first eight or nine months, now I have what I call my 'new hunger'. Maybe slight hunger occasionally, but it's really more of an empty feeling. I eat because I enjoy it, it tastes good, I know I must and it's a social thing! I feel like I eat like a naturally thin person now. It's great!! I have no idea how much stomach Dr. D removed, I haven't gone for my two yr check up, I need to call and make an appt. Maybe I'll remember to ask him when I go!! I reached goal pretty quickly, his goal in just under five months, MY goal, (five lbs less) 5 or 6 weeks later. How far out are you? Oh, I was told at the seminar or maybe by his nurse that about 85% of the stomach is removed. :) Forced Portion Control, I love it!!

I felt restriction immediately. When I was just eating sugar free Jello and broth that first two weeks, I could only eat about an eighth of a cup of broth at one sitting and I was 'full as a tick' as we say in Texas!! :) The jello, I could eat very little as well. I'm sure everyone is different. I still weigh or measure my food, and I still use an on line food log.

Hi NtvTxn :)

I'm a little over 3 months out, I have 30 more lbs to lose to be at Dr. D's goal for me :) ... I just love Dr Davidson, he is so smart and I know he really cares about our success. I still have quite a bit of restriction. I actually saw Dr. D. and found out..I'm trying to eat too much :) I guess I still have to wrap my mind around the fact that a few bites will fill me up :)

It's so nice to see your great success and to know we share the same wonderful Dr. :)

Dr. Kelly in Mexico has done re-sleeve surgeries. We were discussing sleeve sizes, and he told me that he had re-sleeved someone because they did not lose as much weight as she expected. He made her sleeve slightly smaller and helped her reach her goal weight. From the way he talked, it sounded as though she was a personal friend or close work related acquaintance.

I work in pulmonary medicine and saw a patient looking for pulmonary clearance to have a second gastric bypass procedure.

Dr. Kelly was just talking to me about re-sleeving as well. He said that back when they first started doing the procedure 5years ago they made the sleeve much larger which also left a lot more of the fundus (the stretchy part of the stomach). He said over the years they perfected the size of the sleeves, but for those patients 4 or 5 years out it is much easier to stretch their sleeve back out.

I am only way this month to be sleeve twice. I really made a bad choice in doctors that first time and ended up with a sleeve that did nothing for me. So her I go again!