Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Complications W Mexico Vsg?

I am considering surgery in Mexico but scared to death about possible complications after I get home. If you had your surgery in Mexico and had complications, can you please share your story? Also on who your doctor was and what they did upon hearing of your complication.

No replies? Does that mean most complications are from doctors in the states?

I was sleeved in Tj, Mx on 8/3. I did not have any complications, but just from the research I have done over the last yr that lead to my decision in all honesty complications are NO MORE common in Mx than here in the states. As a matter of fact, surgeons in Mx have been doing the procedure longer than our surgeons here.

We also have a complications forum as well as a Self-Pay/Mexico forum and you may get a few more responses there.

Hope this helps....

I definately wouldn't go as far as saying that there are no complications in Mexican sleeve surgeries. But I am quite confident in saying they are signifigantly less common. With surgery in Mexico, you are in direct face to face contact with your surgeon for 3-5 days after surgery, the immediate aftercare is much more thorough. If there is a problem, it is more likely to be found before you return home. Not to mention that top Mexican surgeons are far more experienced in this surgery than American or Canadian surgeons are, typically having performed as much as 10 times as many procedures as their counterparts.

The typical stay after an American surgery is overnight, and I have heard of people leaving the same day.

If by some slim chance you do have a serious complication on a surgery that was performed in Mexico, your choices would be to go back to your surgeon in Mexico, or if that is not an option then you may have to go to the ER.

Most Mexican surgeons offer an insurance that in the case of complications it will cover all medical expenses incurred to include emergency flights back to Mexico. Most doctors don't make a habit f mentioning them because the insurance is so rarely needed. It really is more of a piece of mind thing than a good financial investment. The only way I would buy the insurance is if the fear of complication was so great that it was keeping you from getting the surgery.

Had my surgery in Cancun. No complications. I was wondering the same thing.

I had surgery here in the states saw my surgeon the day of, the next and he personally discharged me. My stay was not overnight it was a standard two night stay. I have no complications and I am only five days post. I wouldn't have done this if they attempted to discharge me the next day! I had surgery Thursday at 8am and was discharged Saturday at 12 noon. I loved the attention and service of my nurses and doctors.

Everyone is different. What's the follow up care like for your surgery of done in Mexico? I've seen people on here with wonderful experiences with their procedures done south of the border. Good luck to you! I'm sure you'll find wonderful info!

Please check out this thread:

If You Had The Choice - Would You Do It Again?

Also...check out the profile and posts from Kat1 who had surgery with complications in Mexico, including surgeon's name and outcome of notification of complications once state side.

Also...check out the profile and posts from Kat1 who had surgery with complications in Mexico' date=' including surgeon's name and outcome of notification of complications once state side.[/quote']

I was sleeved by Dr. Alvarez in MX on 8/02. My PCP here in the states agreed to continue to be my Dr and give me after care. I think people worry way too much about surgery in MX, it is as safe, if not safer than in the USA. I personally know many people that have had surgery at huge hospitals in the USA and gotten leaks, staff infections, sever nausea etc. I had none of those complications. Dr. A does surgery in the morning and you stay 2 nights in the hospital. I had awesome care and he personally checks on you several times per day. I would go to him again in a heartbeat, I would send my husband or my child there to have him do their surgery, if they wanted it done.My niece had the sleeve surgery in KC and her insurance only approved an overnight stay plus it took her a year to get approved for surgery. Do not be afraid of choosing him because he is across the border, he is a wonderful surgeon. I have heard stories of a couple of surgeons in MX that are not great, but there are others that are awesome.

I was sleeved 7/9 in Mexico by Dr Garcia. On 8/3 I was admitted to the hospital for a bacterial infection, C Diff, that the ER doc said I got in Mexico. I was hospitalized for 4 days. On 8/29 I felt I'll again so my GI doc ordered a stool sample. The infection is back & I'm on a large amount of antibiotics. I'm on Vancomyacin & when my husband went to pick up the pills, the pharmacy said "you must have good insurance" The retail price for 56 pills is $1750! My cost was 10$

Also since my surgery, I have had to have a GI swallowing test, ct scan, EGD, & an Esoph manometry because I can barely get in 3 cups of Water a day. I eat Soup, mashed potatoes, Popsicles. Dificult to drink Protein shakes, I keep having slimey stuff coming up. I'm on Prilosec twice a day & never had issues with reflex before surgery. With also eating very little, I have no energy to do anything.

I don't blame Dr Garcia or even going to Mexico. I could of gotten the C Diff from a hospital in the US. I regret having the surgery since I have had so many issues.

I guess what I really want to say is there isn't a lot of follow up from the Dr 's in Mexico. Make sure you have good insurance so you can be treated in the states if needed.

Sleeved May 15 of this year by Dr Almanza- no complications at all.

254 pre op- lost 4 lbs on liquid pre op diet.

Today 175. 79 lbs lost in 10 weeks.

I would recommend Mexico 100 times.

My care in Mexico was a million times better than the care I recieved in a US hospital just a few moths prior, for a hysterectomy. It was so much better that I'm going back for my plastics. I had no complications, smooth sailing.

Also...check out the profile and posts from Kat1 who had surgery with complications in Mexico, including surgeon's name and outcome of notification of complications once state side.

Can't find this content! Anyone else having troubles?

VGS on June 19, 2012....Dr. Ortiz at Obesity Control Center in Tijuana, Mex.

I lost 24 lbs on pre op diet and 49lbs since then. Care was wonderful there. Would do it again!! Everything about my staff was good. Doctors spent a great deal of time before and after surgery. Staff all spoke English and were super nice. Surgical Center was super clean. Hotel was nice (Marriott Tijuana). Spent one night at hotel pre-op, one night at surgical center and two nights at hotel post-op. Make sure you keep sipping Water, that's very important. I did go over to surgical center day one post op and have to get IV. I should have been drinking more Water. But felt good other than that. Drain tube was uncomfortble but not painful.

I do take Prilosac for a little reflux and had to switch my Protein shakes to something without lactose (switched to Muscle Milk Light). But that is it.

My PC would not do follow up care if I had complications. He told me to go to ER. I haven't needed too. I would say be very careful to follow all the instructions just like anywhere you have the surgery!

Good Luck!