Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Want To Know What It Was Like Having Sushi For The First Time After Having The Sleeve!

I'm just really curious what it's like to eat sushi. I want to know if you had rice with the rolls or just sashimi. I want to know if certain things created an upset stomach or a bad reaction! So if anyone has any input that would be wonderful!(:

Ji Jaclyn

I was so happy to see this forum. I am brand new to this site and start my pre-op diet on Friday. I am going out for sushi tonight and proably again on Thursday. I have been wondering the same thing, as you, for months. I never thought I would be taking this route, however, I am really am happy that I am. I will tell you I know of a few women who also loved sushi and were fine with it post-op, although the rice did not work for them. I eat mostly sashimi so I really dont care about the rice. I plan on posting here again once I start eating food again. Thanks for starting this forum.

I was sleeved on November 5th and am DYING to have sushi again. My favorite is avocado rolls and am concerned I will not be able to tolerate it. I would love to hear from a sleever who is able to eat sushi post op.

I had sushi for the first time last week. I was able to eat 3 pieces of an avocado roll (they are very small). I then ate the remaining 3 pieces 4 hours later. I had no problems. It was heavenly!

Wow, I had not at all thought about the fact that sushi could be a problem later. Now I HAVE to make sure I get a rainbow roll before I start my pre-op diet this week. I'm curious, what about wasabi? I adore wasabi, but I could see that making my tummy pretty angry after it's sleeved. Of course, I would wait a really long time, like maybe a year. *cry*

I have been told "no rice for several months", so I am thinking that will impact my sushi habit - but probably I could have sashimi much sooner. Only three weeks out tomorrow, so I don't get any solid food yet any way :-). I suppose I could have my favorites (including non-raw stuff like tofu roll) by just eating the insides. Might have to do a carry out, so as not to invite odd stares! I have to say it seems like chewing seaweed to a mush might be a challenge! Haven't talked to the dietitians about sushi yet - they'd probably think I was getting way ahead of myself at this point.

Almost 5 months out, no problems with sushi with rice. I can't eat a whole roll but I can usually eat about a half roll. I like to do take out because then I can have an entire roll . . . it just takes me most of the day!

Almost 5 months out, no problems with sushi with rice. I can't eat a whole roll but I can usually eat about a half roll. I like to do take out because then I can have an entire roll . . . it just takes me most of the day!

How long after being sleeved were you able to have a actual sushi roll? I'm just 2 weeks post op so I still need a long time but I used to have sushi every Friday I'm just looking forward to it.

So far sashimi is the only meat I can keep down. I'm so happy that I found something that satisfies and stays where it's supposed to! Operated on January 21st.

I'm ok with sushi. I've had it a few times since surgery. Half a roll at a time. That's the only time I normally have rice.

It goes down fine, but it's pretty filling. The wasabi is no problem at all...and I like to mix it in with (gluten free) soy sauce until it's green slurry. Mmm. Clears the sinuses! Lol

I had sushi for the first time today after my surgery. It was wonderful. I ordered the salmon Avocado and Yellowtail Cucumber Roll(lunch special). I ordered with Pink Soy bean paper...NO RICE. I was able to eat two pieces of each. That was at lunch and I'm still satisfied right now.....

Edited by johnny207

This brings up an interesting question... Since we are encouraged not to eat rice/carbs (protein and veggies first!), the sensible thing to do is to eat the fish and leave the rice. However, our favorite sushi place - a buffet- will charge $1 per piece if they see you only eat the fish and leave the rice! I understand why they implemented the policy- clearly they had a problem with people taking too much expensive sushi and only eating the best part. But I still think it would be weird to see it enforced.

That's a crazy policy......you should be able to eat what and what part of the sushi roll that you choose. So, if you leave the wasabi, ginger. And soy sauce...will they charge you for that as well??????

Edited by johnny207