Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Those Who Weigh Every Day -

We all know we're not supposed to weigh every day, yet many of us do and wonder why our weight is always up and down. (Guilty!)

Nutrition diva has an article weight fluctuations, and why the numbers we get vary so much. There are links to an iPhone app and an Excel spreadsheet that calculate 7 and 14 day moving averages, which yield more meaningful numbers.

http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/weight-fluctuation.aspx

I am guilty of weighing myself everyday. But I do this to see where I stand on a day by day basis. If I stall for 3 days I go back and see what I have been doing wrong according to my fitness pal. I change things up and back on track. The scales a tool. It can be useful if you log everything down everyday.

Thanks for that! Also guilty! I drive myself crazy with my scale and it does not help that my digital scale will give you three different numbers if you get on it three different times in a minute. I just keep getting on until I get a number I like! :D I will give that app a try since I don't think I am likely to give up my scale addiction that easily....she says sheepishly.

I weigh everyday and see no need to feel guilty for it. I weight the same time every day and chart the weight. It helps me to understand all sorts of things about how I lose weight, my cycle, and things that cause me to retain fluids etc.

I get that it can demotivate some but it doesn't have that effect on me.

I weigh everyday and see no need to feel guilty for it. I weight the same time every day and chart the weight. It helps me to understand all sorts of things about how I lose weight, my cycle, and things that cause me to retain fluids etc.

I get that it can demotivate some but it doesn't have that effect on me.

Exactly!! I was going to say almost the same thing! I do weigh every day, but I've also learned that I have a definite loss/bounce rhythm, but it's all part of it. I don't freak out about the bounce because I understand it. You just have to know yourself and if you can handle weighing every day or not. Many cannot, and I think either way is fine, just don't make yourself miserable with it. ;)

I just bought the app...interesting. I too like to weigh myself daily and it seems to motivate me to get through the day either wanting to continue on the right track or readjust my calories and activity if I've gained.

I also usually weigh everyday but I do it on the Wii Fit. It charts my weight loss and BMI. I don't tend to get upset about gains because overall there is a continued loss & I have a easy way to keep track without having to write it down.

I have to say I love watching the graph line going lower & lower!! The losses are very exciting and you have to take the occasional increase in stride until it starts dropping again.

I do have to say now when I see it go up a bit it doesn't send me into a mood to eat because the scale made me upset & angry (even though I knew it wasn't the scale's fault ;-} but easier to be mad at it than myself - it is soo liberating not to feel like that now).

My weight is like a ball bouncing down a stairway: it hits a step and goes up but eventually goes down, gravity and momentum see to that.

I am eating the volume and quality of food for a guy at my goal weight or below.

I am exercising and drinking Water.

Slimmed-down deliciosity is my inescapable destiny. B)

The scale can't stop me.

It must be a sleeve thing. Even when I was 100lbs lighter, I avoided the scale like the plague. It'll never say what I want it to, and I always end up settling.

Thanks for that! Also guilty! I drive myself crazy with my scale and it does not help that my digital scale will give you three different numbers if you get on it three different times in a minute. I just keep getting on until I get a number I like! :D I will give that app a try since I don't think I am likely to give up my scale addiction that easily....she says sheepishly.

OMG I do the exact same thing!!! Hahahaha

In fact, we have two scales and they never show the same number, it's maddening! I keep going back and forth until I get a better number on the scale that's always running heavier.

Anyone ever done the,"get on lightly" maneuver? My theory is that if you step on heavily, the scale will record a higher weight. So I get on like "grasshopper" walking on rice paper.

Is it a definition of insanity to know you are deluding yourself but you do it anyway? :blink:

WOW! I also weigh until it 'seems right'! I think I am suffering that cross-addiction they tell us about...I have given up food for a scale/weighing addiction!

I weigh myself ever day also. I like to be able to calculate my rate of loss and to be able to predict future loss. I also use an app called WeightBot. It's an older app, but it is predictive, gives you graphs and tables, and calculates your BMI.

I've noticed that I've settled into the groove of losing about 1 pound every 2-3 days. If I continue with that frequency, I should reach my goal weight by December. However, I know that there are stalls, slowing down of weight loss, etc., so I'm not holding my breath. I do know, however, that I eventually WILL get to my goal weight, so I'm not worried.

I'm past the halfway mark already. I need to take a new pic to Celebrate. So people, should I go back to the statue of Morgan Freeman in my profile pic and attempt to take the same picture with myself now, or should I do something different?

I weigh myself ever day also. I like to be able to calculate my rate of loss and to be able to predict future loss. I also use an app called WeightBot. It's an older app, but it is predictive, gives you graphs and tables, and calculates your BMI.

I've noticed that I've settled into the groove of losing about 1 pound every 2-3 days. If I continue with that frequency, I should reach my goal weight by December. However, I know that there are stalls, slowing down of weight loss, etc., so I'm not holding my breath. I do know, however, that I eventually WILL get to my goal weight, so I'm not worried.

I'm past the halfway mark already. I need to take a new pic to Celebrate. So people, should I go back to the statue of Morgan Freeman in my profile pic and attempt to take the same picture with myself now, or should I do something different?

That's a statue?! I thought it was a person, but the pic is small on my computer so I did not realize it was Morgan Freeman. I thought he was a friend of yours. Anyway, I vote for at least one with the statue in the same pose because you will get a great contrast from your before picture. Congratulations on your weight loss so far! I am a little over half way too and while I want to get to goal in as short as time as possible, I am feeling happy and comfortable, so stalls don't bother me as much. Like you, I know I will get there!

IMG 0604

Thank you! I've attached the pic so you can get a better view (click on it). It's in front of Madam Tussauds Wax Museum in New York City (Times Square). I don't live too far from it so it should be easy to do.