Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I told my sister as we are very close- thinking that she would be there as a back up when I told my parents....instead her response was that she is against the surgery and infact did not even believe in it. All I had to do was stop being lazy and start walking. I was so disappointed. However being that she herself is around 90kg (close to 200 pounds) I have decided not to take too much notice of her opinion. My parents were unhappy about it' date=' but said they would support me.....although they do tend to laugh at me asking "how on earth are you ever going to even get through the pre-op liquid? " and my personal favourite "I know you, you won't finish this, you won't stick to the pre-op diet an then you won't be able to get the surgery. Seems like a big waste of money to me"

But then I remember that I am a grown woman of 33, I know I can achieve this and clearly there was a bloody good reason I left home at 16!!! Lol.[/quote']

That is just awful! I'm so sorry you're family talks to you this way. You CAN finish this! Keep your eye on the prize and disregard their petty comments.

That is just awful! I'm so sorry you're family talks to you this way. You CAN finish this! Keep your eye on the prize and disregard their petty comments.

Thank u Frza! I am 3 days into my pre-op now, an I admitt I am starting to struggle, but I won't give in!! Thank u for your support!

I was also afraid to tell my mom. When I did, her response was, "Good for you. I just hope you aren't getting the band". LOL I was shocked at the response!

My mom passed away years ago, but I know she struggled with the weight just as I am. I like to think she is up there supporting me through this. Now my stepdad doesn't really know much about it, so he's like be happy, but be careful. But my in-laws would freak! Will freak! I will tell them once I have a date. But in the end I'm still a rebel and will do what I want- so they can/will be upset but I can hear it now- 6-7 months from now the tune will change when they see the weight come off and a happier/healthier me. So worth it!

I was worried about telling my parents but when I told my mom she said, "Great! I'm not worried about you but I AM envious!!!"

I'm terrified to tell my mother in law. She is very holistic and would strongly disagree with me on this. She won't change my mind I just dot want there to e fissure in our relationship. ( i love my mother in law)

Sent from my iPhone using VST

So I finally told my sister and she is behind me which was a huge relief! Now onto mom. Will probably make a special trip out to see her o tell her. Hate to tell her over he phone. It will only be one week before the surgery but that's the only time I have. My sister recently had some medical problems and was very secretive around my mom about it. Not exactly sure why but that's her business. But moms hurt over this and my waiting so long I think will just compound the problem. I wish she would realize we are both adults, both in our thirties. I really think that she raised us to be so independent, it's backfiring on her! Sheesh, my other sister lives in New Zealand so she know next to nothing about what's going on in her life. Sorry, starting to ramble. Just very nervous about telling her but I feel I need to. Maybe she will surprise me and offer to come out and help with the kids. Will keep everybody posted.

So I finally told my sister and she is behind me which was a huge relief! Now onto mom. Will probably make a special trip out to see her o tell her. Hate to tell her over he phone. It will only be one week before the surgery but that's the only time I have. My sister recently had some medical problems and was very secretive around my mom about it. Not exactly sure why but that's her business. But moms hurt over this and my waiting so long I think will just compound the problem. I wish she would realize we are both adults, both in our thirties. I really think that she raised us to be so independent, it's backfiring on her! Sheesh, my other sister lives in New Zealand so she know next to nothing about what's going on in her life. Sorry, starting to ramble. Just very nervous about telling her but I feel I need to. Maybe she will surprise me and offer to come out and help with the kids. Will keep everybody posted.

Great! Best wishes to you.

I finally told my mother today and my surgery is Tuesday! She took it a lot better than I expected. She tried to talk me into he band instead (like I could show up at he hospital and say, by the way, I want to be banded instead!) long start short, she doesn't want me to get it done but she understands why I want to do it. So relieved!

I was afraid to tell anyone, too. I wrote a long, detailed email and sent it to all of my family members at the same time. I'm happy to report that I received the most loving encouragement and support from each and every one of them! It still brings tears to my eyes to think of all the wonderful things they said to me about making such a courageous and positive decision. However, I haven't been as open with everyone in my life. There are some people I suspect would be negative. I read posts about folks getting the "OH - well, my friend/family member/neighbor/whatever did it the HARD way by eating less and exercising - they didn't cheat" comments and I really don't know what I'd do if that happened. I'm so happy for you, Barisaxlady, for the great response you got from your sis and mom! Best wishes for Tuesday and your new life!!!

Reading these comments makes me sad! My parents are so excited for me! And my teenage daughters are excited for me as well!! I have told my co-workers and haven't had any negative reactions. Had a few kinda look at me funny but didn't say anything!! My in-laws have been told I'm going in for a hiatal hernia repair (which is really happening when I get sleeved) they would not understand and would get confused so my husband just thought that was easier! I think you just have to do what's right for you. Maybe tell her that its your life you love her and want her support but you don't need negative opinions!! Good luck!

I was afraid to tell my father, but he was really supportive. Maybe too supportive...

I was afraid to tell my father' date=' but he was really supportive. Maybe too supportive...[/quote']

I hear you, my husband said Yes a little too quickly when I told him I was considering it too!

To both above maybe the just really wanted you happy?? And they knew it would aid in that??

To both above maybe the just really wanted you happy?? And they knew it would aid in that??

Nah, He just wants me to get back into my "cute ass" jeans as He calls them! Lol