Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Do You Push The 1% Of What Can Go Wrong Out Of Your Head

I'm very new to this forum, but have read some great threads. Today I stumbled on a thread that scared the hell out of me and is a complete refelction of why I have not been able to go thru with any sort of wls. I've looked into it for 3 years now, but I'm constantly haunted by the 1% of people where all goes wrong or at least one thing goes terribly wrong for them. My question is: How are those of you who have had or are already well on their way to having this wls able to take the leap of faith? I am genuienly a glass is full kind of girl and have a ton of moral support from my husband. I want this sooooo bad, but I'm just some damn scared that something can go wrong. My husband said well just becuase people get into devistating car accidents everyday some worse than others this doesn't hold you back from driving right. He's a smart one I tell you;) If there is anyone out there that could chime in on this I would appreciate it. I get so close to saying I'm just gonna do it but being that I REALLY want to know all aspect of this serious lifestyle change we are embarking on I get really scared by the 1%

How badly do you want to lose weight and keep it off forever???

I am going to schedule a revision from band to sleeve and that is scary!! What if there are complications with the removal? What will happen? I can't think of that because I will have to get it out eventually. I know that I want to be slimmer for good!!

If you have the support of your husband and you really want this for yourself JUST DO IT!! You have nothing to lose but weight!!

Come with me to Mexico I am going to Dr Garcia........

About a week before surgery, I went into panic mode, mostly facing the fact that I was doing something that would require a total change in my life. I reminded myself of the reasons for the surgery and the concommitant changes it would bring about. Without the weight loss, I was looking at a decreased and decreasing quality of life and likely earlier death. In short, I realized I had no good alternative. Looking at it that way, I was willing to take the chance of the unlikely possibility of serious, long-lasting, negative consequences. In short, keep your eyes on the goal of good health and improved quality of life.

I'm very new to this forum' date=' but have read some great threads. Today I stumbled on a thread that scared the hell out of me and is a complete refelction of why I have not been able to go thru with any sort of wls. I've looked into it for 3 years now, but I'm constantly haunted by the 1% of people where all goes wrong or at least one thing goes terribly wrong for them. My question is: How are those of you who have had or are already well on their way to having this wls able to take the leap of faith? I am genuienly a glass is full kind of girl and have a ton of moral support from my husband. I want this sooooo bad, but I'm just some damn scared that something can go wrong. My husband said well just becuase people get into devistating car accidents everyday some worse than others this doesn't hold you back from driving right. He's a smart one I tell you;) If there is anyone out there that could chime in on this I would appreciate it. I get so close to saying I'm just gonna do it but being that I REALLY want to know all aspect of this serious lifestyle change we are embarking on I get really scared by the 1%[/quote']

I am so glad you did this! I was about to but you beat me to the punch :) So I'll just say ditto what she said LOL

I remember my PCP telling me not to stress out about the surgery and that frankly if I didn't do something to lose weight, I would probably end up hospitalized for another reason, i.e. a heart attack or stroke.

For me personally, I have always done well with surgery, 3 c-sections & gallbladder removal so I knew I tolerate anesthesia and surgery well, but I did tell my adult children that if for some reason I didn't make it out of surgery, that at least they knew I was finally doing something proactive about my health. I was ready to accept the consequences of complications, because I was at my personal last straw with my weight.

Its such a personal decision, but I have always tried not to let fear stand in my way.

My surgery on 4/6/12 went well and I hardly had any pain, I was released the next day, and feel fantastic today. I don't regret this decision at all. I am proud that I was strong enough to go thru with what I set out to do.

I never thought about the 1%. I had my eye on the prize the whole time. What I'd look like a year from surgery. I'm 5 weeks out, down 31 lbs. and people are constantly telling me how good I look and they definitely see the weight coming off. that feels great. I want to be thin with every part of my being so the 1% wasn't even in the picture. Go for it. Nothing will go wrong and if it does, the doctors will fix it. Good Luck

I am in the same boat except mine is booked and paid for and my surgery is this coming Tuesday!! I am petrified for the 1% "what ifs". I work in health care and I think this adds to my anxiety. I am just hoping and praying all goes well I have 3 little kids that need their mommy! My surgery is at limarp with dr pompa in Tijuana Mexico

I look at it this way. There was a 1% chance that my surgery could go wrong. But there was a 100% chance that my obesity was going to cause me to die young. Hard to beat those odds.

I am in the same boat except mine is booked and paid for and my surgery is this coming Tuesday!! I am petrified for the 1% "what ifs". I work in health care and I think this adds to my anxiety. I am just hoping and praying all goes well I have 3 little kids that need their mommy! My surgery is at limarp with dr pompa in Tijuana Mexico

I do too and I will soon be working at the same hospital where my surgery will be done.

I look at it this way. There was a 1% chance that my surgery could go wrong. But there was a 100% chance that my obesity was going to cause me to die young. Hard to beat those odds.

Well put Bean... My husband basically said there is a 1% chance of a major complication which means a 99% chance I will be fine. I am trying to get there and stay there lol

Butter- that is exactly right.

My health was going down a disasterous road.

I took the *99% chance to being healthy again* road.

I'm so glad I did!

My surgery is Monday I've been waiting since June I can't believe it 2 days away every now and then I start freakin but I know it the right thing to do I have good support but doesn't everyone second guess surgery I'm a nurse and work in a Cath lab every day I assure people it will all be fine need to take some of my own advice

I was TERRIFIED! I never had surgery before. I am a bit of a control freak, so even just the idea of submitting myself completely to someone else's care while I am asleep and not able to know what is going on was so scary to me (not that I would actually want to be awake for surgery!!) I just kept reminding myself that my odds of dying or having to be hospitalized were MUCH higher if I continued on the path of obesity that I was on. I was much more likely to have a heart attack by doing nothing than I was to die on the table. Like you, I thought about this surgery for two years (really it was longer than that, but I will just count from the time I went to the first informational meeting on it). I kept thinking I would just try again on my own. I gained another twenty pounds during that time.

Once I made up my mind and started down the path I had several moments of almost chickening out, especially as I got closer to the real date. I almost walked right back out of the hospital on surgery day. I cried when I had to go back into the pre-op area alone while my family headed to the waiting area. BUT I went through with it and it was easy and awesome. I knew I had to put my trust in God and his plan for me. I also made up my mind to put my complete faith into my surgeon and the medical team at the hospital. It is their job to keep you safe and alive. It helped that one of my friends is married to a surgeon and had undergone 17 surgeries herself during a medical crisis. She reassured me over and over of the success rates at the hospital.

YOU CAN DO THIS!! It helps to educate yourself, to know the risks. But you also need to keep the risks in perspective. Your husband is right. Your risks of dying in a horrific car crash are higher than the risks of this surgery. Yet everyday you willingly get into the car. I hope you can overcome your fear, or at least face it and take it on because the benefits of this surgery are wonderful!

I agree 100%

Am I reading your signature right that you've lost 100 lbs in 3 months? Well done!

<--------Biggest Baby lol With that being said. I figured I could die trying to make a better life for me and my family or do nothing and die anyway. You will do fantastic!

Joe