Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I went for my check up and my doctor realized that after several blood tests over the last year that my TSH levels were high. I didn't know what that meant but I realized that I am almost 7 weeks out and I am so tired that I can't even get up and walk around without feeling like I did a 5K run. I know my vit-D levels are low. I now have to take a 50,000 IU's of Vit-D once a week. My B-12 came back up to normal, now I have to take a B-12 shot. I have to also continue to take Calcium and Iron and I still feel very week. I was put on an anti-depressant which helps a little. The doctor then checks my last blood test and said to me " I think you have a thyroid problem. I replied " I thought high levels of TSH means high functioning thyroid. However, high TSH means low functioning thyroid. After the doctor goes back into my record and realizes that all my blood test from last year showed a problem with my thyroid I had to take another blood test to see if the TSH levels are still high. High TSH levels leads to the following You may experience chilliness or sluggishness or feel weak, depressed and tired, symptoms often labeled as chronic fatigue syndrome. You may have problems thinking and with cognitive functions, have difficulty breathing or experience muscle cramps with vague or specific joint pain. You may be plagued with uncontrollable weight gain, dry skin, Constipation, menstrual problems, hot flashes, PMS, increased menstrual flow or have a miscarriage or be diagnosed with infertility. The list of common symptoms of high TSH levels includes weakness, fatigue, difficulty waking up, difficulty losing weight and/or weight gain, roughening of the hair and skin, Hair loss, a pale or yellow tinge to skin, brittle nails, intolerance to cold, constipation, depression, mood swings, abnormal menstruation, decreased sex drive and memory loss. High TSH levels can affect a person's overall outlook and mentality. I had all these problems pre surgery. Now I thinking did I have to do this surgery at all. I hope this test confirms my worst fears so I can finally feel normal again. I don't have any energy.

I have hypothyroidism and I was first diagnosed with chronic fatigue. It sucks. The good news is I take one tiny little pill of levothyroxine per day and I feel fine. Occasionally I'm still exhausted, especially if I forget a dose. But before meds I was like a walking text book for hypothyroid symptoms. Unfortunately it took 10 years and several docs before they got a proper diagnosis. They would just tell me I'm fat because I'm depressed and lazy pretty much and tried to put me on anti depressants. I refused because I'm not depressed or lazy and I knew it. I just kept switching drs until they got it right. My thyroid doc said if I had not gotten medication I would have gained another 30lbs. The meds do not help you loss weight by the way. I think it slowed the gain though. It is actually a very treatable condition and in my case responded well to treatment. Good luck!

My thyroid problem was noticed in December. I have been on the lowest dose of synthroid since then and my level has been normal but I still feel blah. I am just over 5 weeks out from being sleeved and just had my gallbladder out last Sunday. I have absolutely no energy. It sucks. I hope you feel normal soon.

I have hypothyroidism and I was first diagnosed with chronic fatigue. It sucks. The good news is I take one tiny little pill of levothyroxine per day and I feel fine. Occasionally I'm still exhausted, especially if I forget a dose. But before meds I was like a walking text book for hypothyroid symptoms. Unfortunately it took 10 years and several docs before they got a proper diagnosis. They would just tell me I'm fat because I'm depressed and lazy pretty much and tried to put me on anti depressants. I refused because I'm not depressed or lazy and I knew it. I just kept switching drs until they got it right. My thyroid doc said if I had not gotten medication I would have gained another 30lbs. The meds do not help you loss weight by the way. I think it slowed the gain though. It is actually a very treatable condition and in my case responded well to treatment. Good luck!

I was shocked because I have every single symptom. They did put me on anti-depressant. I thought I was losing my mind. I didn't understand why I couldn't get it together. I am a teacher and I have a hard time concentrating. I crave ice for some reason and I try to eat for energy but nothing has helped. I am so happy because I know I not going crazy now. Thank you for your thoughts

My thyroid problem was noticed in December. I have been on the lowest dose of synthroid since then and my level has been normal but I still feel blah. I am just over 5 weeks out from being sleeved and just had my gallbladder out last Sunday. I have absolutely no energy. It sucks. I hope you feel normal soon.

Thank you so much for your thoughts.

Can your TSH levels change without medication? I am just wondering maybe now that I lost some weight the levels could have changed? Does anyone know?

Can your TSH levels change without medication? I just wondering maybe now that I lost some weight the levels could have changed? Does anyone know?

I supppose it is possible, but not probable in my understanding. In my case it is genetic. Both my sisters have the same thing. I've had drs tell me to tape my mouth shut so I don't eat, its all in my head, and I just need to be a happier person. That was laughable since I am a very happy person. I don't think the ths levels will change much with weight loss though. One of my sisters is a skinny minnie but has worse levels than me. The more weight you losse the less fatigued you may feel though.

I supppose it is possible, but not probable in my understanding. In my case it is genetic. Both my sisters have the same thing. I've had drs tell me to tape my mouth shut so I don't eat, its all in my head, and I just need to be a happier person. That was laughable since I am a very happy person. I don't think the ths levels will change much with weight loss though. One of my sisters is a skinny minnie but has worse levels than me. The more weight you losse the less fatigued you may feel though.

So the only way TSH levels would go down is with medication? I am just curious and a little nervous. My levels were high or through the roof as the doctor would say. Now they are taking another blood test 7 weeks post op. If it comes back high she said I have to go on meds. I am wondering because stress can cause it will less stress lower scores? Or if it's high it will be high until meds are taken?

So the only way TSH levels would go down is with medication? I am just curious and a little nervous. My levels were high or through the roof as the doctor would say. Now they are taking another blood test 7 weeks post op. If it comes back high she said I have to go on meds. I am wondering because stress can cause it will less stress lower scores? Or if it's high it will be high until meds are taken?

It is my understanding from my doc that the only way to significantly drop the ths level is to medicate. I took Armor for a year but it did little to no good. Once I switched to levotyroxine (synthroid) I had an immediate decrease in symptoms. My feet still get cold easier than normal but everything else got better. Next month I have a dr appt and I will be tested again. I can function normally without a crushing fatigue, no more night sweats, no more freezing in warm weather lol!

I was diagnosed with hypothyroid over 25 years ago, later diagnosed with hashimotos. I've had all of the symptoms and as for meds,,it's hard to keep under control but all I can do at this point. Removing the thyroid has been suggested and since I'm going to be taking meds for the rest of my life, I would probably do it if it came down to it. It's stable right now. Pre surgery I was on 225 mcg synthroid but since surgery I'm down to 200 mcg,,unfortunately my doses change about twice or more times a year so this will likely change again.

Hi ladies,just wanted to ask if you girls have kids? I have or had hypothyroid and was given synthroid100mcg nd only took it a few times in may,i just got tested the beginning of this month nd my thyroid came out good 3.0....But i read hypothyroid causes infertility,I dont have kids yet but just a bit worried if I dont because of thyroid,thts how come i asked if you girls have kids :) ...

Hypothyroidism is an endocrine disease that contributes to obesity because the thyroid regulates the rate of our metabolism...( how we burn calories...etc). The symptoms you listed are typical but don't think you didn't need the surgery. Taking thyroid medication will help you regulate your metabolism but in the morbidly obese this rarely contributes to much weight loss. In fact those on thyroid medication most often still have the weight gain and yearly creep as they age. Getting thinner however will help your Hypothyroidism and all other body systems ! Hope this helps!!

I have hypothyroidism and I actually had to postpone my surgery date because my TSH levels were so high, they were worried that I would crash on the table, I definitely understand the dangers of hypothyroidism, but I too am on a synthroid. I know that if I don't take it I am uncontrollably tired. I'm also a teacher and I can't afford to not use prime correcting/planning time in the afternoon because I have to take a nap!

Hypothyroidism is frusterating, but I'm hoping as I continue to lose weight with the sleeve and take my meds that I my symptoms will be under control. :)

Hi ladies' date='just wanted to ask if you girls have kids? I have or had hypothyroid and was given synthroid100mcg nd only took it a few times in may,i just got tested the beginning of this month nd my thyroid came out good 3.0....But i read hypothyroid causes infertility,I dont have kids yet but just a bit worried if I dont because of thyroid,thts how come i asked if you girls have kids :) ...[/quote']

I have three children. both my sisters have hypothyroid as well they have 3 and 4 kids each.

I have three children. both my sisters have hypothyroid as well they have 3 and 4 kids each.

Was your thyroid really high?

Did you take any meds?