Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nervous! High Liver Levels... 4 Days From Surgery

I'm trying to stay calm.

Four days away from surgery and have completed all of my appointments and received insurance approval... also well into my liquid diet. My PCP requires my preop tests to be done not more than 10 days before surgery so I had my EKG, Xray, uninalysis and blood tests done a few days ago.

I was told that my liver enzyme levels are a bit high and my PCP asked if I had pain in my abdomen wondering if I had gall bladder issues. I asked my coordinator if things were ok and she said she'd check with my surgeon to see if I needed to squeeze in another blood test in the next 3 days. I checked in with her again and she said the nurse "didn't think it'd affect my surgery Monday but that the doctor was thinking about having me test again but wasn't sure."

So I have to wait until tomorrow to hear back about what this all means and I'm just a nervous wreck. I've gone through all the hoops and have mentally and physically prepared myself for a Monday surgery in addition to necessary time off at work. My biggest fear is that this will prevent or delay my surgery... has anyone else had issues with high liver enzyme levels and know what this means?? My coordinator was confused because my pre op diet should help that, if anything.

Thanks for letting me vent. I'm sure there are people who understand how prepared you are for a specific date and the fear of something impacting that has terrified me!!!

It can be high based on a lot of things, none of which can be determined by just bloodwork. Did you have to do a gallbladder ultrasound pre-op?

It can be high based on a lot of things, none of which can be determined by just bloodwork. Did you have to do a gallbladder ultrasound pre-op?

No, I didn't. When my PCP office called and asked me if I had any abdominal pain and I said no, then they said I wouldn't have to have the ultrasound but they were thinking about it. I guess I'm just concerned because I'm dealing with all these different people and groups and no one has a definitive answer or knows anything for sure so I feel like I'm in no man's land. :( Why else could they be high?

Get the ultrasound if you can before surgery. Then if it is your gallbladder they can pull it when you get your sleeve. Otherwise you will be in for potentially two surgeries instead of one.

Hi!

I was just wondering if you had spoken with your doctor and what his next step will be?

Just heard back from my coordinator and they said I was fine and good to go for my Monday surgery! What a huge relief. Thanks Ready4Success for checking in!!

Monday morning and I'm in. Apparently, no need for other tests.