Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know this is silly becuase i have not even talked to my new PCP yet, but i have anxiety about the whole surgery and getting approved. I have a BMI of 39 but not sure about the co-morbidities. I dont know if I am going to get through or that my new PCP is going to agree with me about my decision. Any advice on how to talk to your PCP?

I'm the queen of awkward. ( Really I am) and I had the same problem. I was wondering how would I bring it up what would he say blah blah blah.. But my bmi is 40 and I have health problems, I needed a 5 year history of my obesity so I just awkwardly shoved the paper at him lol I was like uhhh can you fill this out? haha and he told me that he will support my decision but he thought I should try the new weight loss pill first before taking such drastic steps because he said I'm so young and have time to do so if the pills and stuff didn't work, but that is the reason I decided to do it because I am young and I don't want anymore health problems. so Good luck to you! lol * i know I kinda rambled* ^_^

I just asked my PCP for a referral and he said yes. I had a low BMI but was diagnosed with diabetes and high cholesterol. The truth is, if he wouldn't refer me, then I would have found another PCP that would. Talk to the doc with honesty and see what happens. You might be really surprised. :) Tell the doc what you have tried for losing weight so he/she can document it. :) Oh and tell him you've been researching the different wls. In fact, I was telling my PCP that I was thinking about going to Mexico for the surgery. That might of helped. It will happen, trust in yourself. :)

I struggled with the discomfort of asking my PCP. Many things bothered me about it before I did it. Would she think I was "lazy"? would I look/sound like a failure? would she recommend a different weight loss plan first? Would I even qualify?

In the end I just blocked out all my fears and asked. I made my appt with no other issue in my mind and when she asked me why I was there, I told her I was looking into WLS and would like to know how to go about getting a referral.

She asked me some questions, nothing embarrasing or degrading and then she even recommended that I get some prelim tests done to go in my file to save time once I got in the program.

Talk to your PCP, they are there to help you. And as Dorrie said, if he/she says no, find one that will say yes.

Good luck. You can do this :)

Hey everyone thanks for the responses . This is my second doctor ill be going to. My first Pcp told me he didn't believe in the procedure so I switched doctors. This will be my first encounter with him. I dint want to be put on diet pills because I have been there done that. I'm just so ready for a new lifestyle and change. Praying it goes smoothly I am just afraid I wont even qualify. I hear all these stories of things falling through for other people and it scares me. Lots of anxiety right now over it and I haven't even seen my Pcp yet :(

The first time ever when I met my PCP is when I asked for a wls referral. It was never even a question for me. I came in with all the paperwork and tests I would need.

When I met her we talked a bit and she said, "You're overweight, let me refer you to a nutritionist and start exercising", and I'm all, "well actually..." She was totally for it. Thought it was a great idea.

If you get shot down again, try another doctor but do see if you have comorbities too as that should help.

I didn't get a referral from my PCP because I didn't need one, so the clinic just faxed her information regarding my procedure and has continued to send her my follow-up appointment notes. I haven't been seeing my PCP that often though. I still haven't seen her since, because we never seem to have the same schedule of availability. Other doctors in her office have been supportive though, so I don't think she will have an issue with it.

If I did need a referral I think I would bring some of the information I've gathered and just let them know that I have looked into other options and had little success. Then I would just list the reasons I want the surgery - mainly, my health, what they are there to be monitoring/helping with.

If they turn you down, there is no reason you cannot switch PCPs, you want one that will support you throughout this journey. I hope things go well!

I have food journals and weigh ins starting back in June, I have letters and medical records from a nutritionist that I went and saw a year ago, my personal trainer a couple months ago and letters from my peditrician when he had to write a letter stating I could participate in weight watchers in 4th Grade. I have everything, its just the first time I worked up all this courage to ask my first PCP and it was a straight no. So I am hoping this new PCP pulls through for me. I wanted to see what you guys brought to your PCP to help get the refferal. My insurance requires i get a referral to be covered by the bariatric department.

Being curious, I just called my Medical group to see what they require. She told me I would have to do an 18 week health weight management class then 2 evaluations with a psychologist and then get referred to my surgeon. Anyone have to take this class or heard of it?

Every insurance provider, and every policy within those providers, have different requirements and levels of coverage. There is nothing wrong with being informed and ready to provide information if requested. I've heard of requiring a weight management class, so I wouldn't say that's unusual. The psych eval is pretty standard.

You're doing the right thing by getting informed and learning what it is that they will ask of you. Every step you take is another one toward your goal. You're on the right track! Hang in there :)

I know this is silly becuase i have not even talked to my new PCP yet' date=' but i have anxiety about the whole surgery and getting approved. I have a BMI of 39 but not sure about the co-morbidities. I dont know if I am going to get through or that my new PCP is going to agree with me about my decision. Any advice on how to talk to your PCP?[/quote']

I was super anxious to bring this subject up with my PCP. I finally sat down at home and composed a very well written letter to her, telling my story, showing that I'd given this a lot of thought and I dropped it off at her office.

This accomplished a lot. That letter is part of my chart and it documented my struggle, showed I was educated about VSG and got my point across to the doctor without actually having to sit in front of her and talk about it. After the letter I scheduled an appointment with her to start the referral process. PCP was pleased to get all the info in one place in my letter.

She was in full support of this procedure and has helped me every step along the way. A year later now and my surgery is scheduled for 8/30!

Guess I was lucky. I didn't have to have a referral. When it came time to get my H&P and wt loss history I just dropped a copy of my insurance requirements by her office and told her what I needed. I've been seeing the same NP for the past 5 years and have done an extensive weight loss program with her (obviously it wasn't as successful as we wanted). I provided her all my information and weights/measurements from the boot camp I attended for over a year. She added it all together in a typed up letter and faxed it to my surgeon. She's seen how I've tried to do this on my own and gave me her full support (and she's a skinny/tiny girl!)

Yeah I wish I could just walk into the surgeons office and get the surgery like that...(dreaming) i just hope i dont go through this 18 week process then have to do the 6 month diet as well. I wont be happy with that. Well this is a new doctor so i don't even know his ideas regarding it. still have anxiety though :unsure:

I was pleasantly surprised by the awsome support of my pcp. I had the same concerns u have, but he was totally supportive. I hope u have the same experience. Let us know how it goes!

I decided to write a letter about my experience with my weight so far and its sad how at 10 yrs old I was already well aware that I was overweight thanks to the comments made at school. I have been dieting since I was 11. I am so ready for this new chapter in my life ! Still anxious about Thrusday :unsure: